Jimmy Howard vs Petr Mrazek (The Long Off-Season Begins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Not the way he played the last 2 months of the season.

Well it's always good to judge a player after a 2-month stretch.

Just like with how great Jarnkrok was in that stretch last year.

Have the Blues goaltenders been anything but inconsistent and worrisome during the season?

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I really think we could be SEVERELY benefited having an even split next year with Jimmy and Saint Petr. Then take the best goalie down the stretch and for playoffs. You know how great of an advantage it'd be having a goalie who played 20 less games than the rest? Letting those aches and pains go away is huge.

If not, package him up with Weiss, a 1st, and another piece for a game changer. I like either.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Have the Blues goaltenders been anything but inconsistent and worrisome during the season?

I don't think swapping their struggling goalie for our struggling goalie would've changed much. In regards to the playoffs. That's all.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Now it might. Shattenkirk didn't exactly light up the world in their first round loss.

Do you even look at stats before you make statements?

He had 8 points in the first round.

So yes... he lit it up.

Infact he is the leading scoring defenseman still with 1 extra game played for vatanen (6) pts. Kieth (7) in one round was just behind him.

So yes, STL is NOT trading shattenkirk.

I'd go Howard+'16 1st for Yak in a heartbeat, especially if Blashill comes in and works his magic. The kid has talent, just doesn't have the ability to grow in the dumpster fire in Edmonton.

I wouldn't trade either of those pieces for Yakapov. Can we not pick a first round bust? I mean hes > Jurco yes. But < Helm IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Anyone who thinks Holland is going to trade Howard needs to shut off NHL15.

The only way Howard will leave here with Holland in control is one of three ways:

A. On Waivers
B. As a UFA, because HOWARD doesn't want to play here. Not the other way around...
C. Retirement

college hockey

Jun 8, 2004
Maine
Anyone who thinks Holland is going to trade Howard needs to shut off NHL15.

The only way Howard will leave here with Holland in control is one of three ways:

A. On Waivers
B. As a UFA, because HOWARD doesn't want to play here. Not the other way around...
C. Retirement
Howard has a no movement clause so he can't be waived either although he can be bought out.

LMTD

May 1, 2015
GTA
I say if Mrazek is doing well up to the trade-deadline as our starting goalie, we should move Jimmy. Though an off-season trade is more likely to happen because of his contract.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I say if Mrazek is doing well up to the trade-deadline as our starting goalie, we should move Jimmy. Though an off-season trade is more likely to happen because of his contract.

You still want a veteran backup in the playoffs.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Can we please stop pretending like it's a two month stretch? He was bad most of last year too. He's very inconsistent. I don't see any argument against that.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Can we please stop pretending like it's a two month stretch? He was bad most of last year too. He's very inconsistent. I don't see any argument against that.

He had a bad year last year, then played great leading up to his injury, and hasn't gotten to form since coming back.

Let's not act like there was no significant event that caused his inconsistency.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

List for me the goalies who aren't inconsistenct. Cause I can't think of one.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
He had a bad year last year, then played great leading up to his injury, and hasn't gotten to form since coming back.

Let's not act like there was no significant event that caused his inconsistency.

He's been inconsistent throughout his career. What was the event that lead to him being mediocre at best that year? Howard is an average NHL starter because of inconsistency. If he played to his ability on a regular basis he'd be a top ten goalie. But he doesn't and thus isn't.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yeah, along with the rest of em.

Perhaps but i wasn't ranking goalies. I merely stated Howard isn't consistent which he isn't. He's really up and down from season to season and a lot of stretches within seasons. He's a middle of the pack goalie. But really outside of the top 5-10 goalies there's very little separation amongst the lot of them. That's why they hold little value as movable assets.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
He's been inconsistent throughout his career. What was the event that lead to him being mediocre at best that year? Howard is an average NHL starter because of inconsistency. If he played to his ability on a regular basis he'd be a top ten goalie. But he doesn't and thus isn't.

Shame you ignored my point. I acknowledged that was a bad full year, but you cannot possibly equate that year with his play after being injured.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Shame you ignored my point. I acknowledged that was a bad full year, but you cannot possibly equate that year with his play after being injured.

Howard's career really mirrors Rinne's in a lot of ways. Similar numbers and right down to the fact Rinne was also awful coming off injury this year after a solid first half. One is considered all world the other is a sub-standard starter according to some.

Really in a lot of ways NHL goalies have progressed in a similar trend to NFL QB's. Yes there are still four or five elite ones at any time in the league, but over the last 20 years we have gone from five other guy's you consider good, to 20 other guys. Really only a couple teams have disasters at the situation. But it is always interesting who we consider good or bad. Jimmy Howard is a #1 goalie, he can play great stretches and poor others just like a lot of goalies, some of which people like to think of as elite.

Now interestingly, in my opinion Mrazek has the upside to be one of the five elite goalies in a league for a decent period of time, that is exciting.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Now interestingly, in my opinion Mrazek has the upside to be one of the five elite goalies in a league for a decent period of time, that is exciting.

It is exciting I agree with you. However for this team to have a chance when Pavs and Z retire/regress to mere mortals he has to become elite. It is not set in stone but outside of DDK none of our young d look to be top pairing guys. And also this is contingent on Larkin being a top6 to a top line center.

The franchise has been static too long (kenny). Now it needs to hit two homeruns out of these two players because unless someone(s) dark horses something fierce we won't have a elite player(s) to pass the torch too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese