Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Also talking about their coke usage. Whoops!

I think a surprisingly large amount of the player base uses cocaine. It's made a return as a popular party drug, and we all know how many NHL players love to party.

Bill Daly commented on it being an issue, and this was back in 2015.

The number of [cocaine] positives are more than they were in previous years and they're going up. I wouldn't say it's a crisis in any sense. What I'd say is drugs like cocaine are cyclical and you've hit a cycle where it's an 'in' drug again. I'd be shocked if we're talking about a couple dozen guys. I don't want to be naive here ... but if we're talking more than 20 guys I'd be shocked. Because we don't test in a comprehensive way, I can't say.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly Comments on Cocaine Use Among Players

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think a surprisingly large amount of the player base uses cocaine. It's made a return as a popular party drug, and we all know how many NHL players love to party.

Bill Daly commented on it being an issue, and this was back in 2015.

The number of [cocaine] positives are more than they were in previous years and they're going up. I wouldn't say it's a crisis in any sense. What I'd say is drugs like cocaine are cyclical and you've hit a cycle where it's an 'in' drug again. I'd be shocked if we're talking about a couple dozen guys. I don't want to be naive here ... but if we're talking more than 20 guys I'd be shocked. Because we don't test in a comprehensive way, I can't say.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly Comments on Cocaine Use Among Players
20 guys high or coming down at any given moment, maybe. I'm certain more than 20 NHL players use it regularly.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
20 guys high or coming down at any given moment, maybe. I'm certain more than 20 NHL players use it regularly.
Isnt it only detectable for 3 days after use. So around 20 guys on average are within that 3 day window when tested. I’d also bet many more are just outside that window and even some more who do it less recreationally

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It seems more obvious by the day that the Canucks are going to end up being seriously screwed by the Tyler Tofoli trade.

From the very beginning, it was a trade predicated on the assumption that Tofoli would not only help get this team over the hump and into the playoffs, but that with all his post-season experience he'd be a player who would help them when they got there. Now it looks likes all they'll get is 10 regular season games.

It was never much better than 50/50 they'd be able to re-sign him, and now with the looming cap crunch, the odds have probably sunk to 20/80. So giving up a second rounder and Tyler Madden--a solid 'B' level prospect--is bordering on 'disastrous' for a team still in a rebuilding mode.

I suppose there's still a slim chance the NHL will do something to redress some of these trade deadline deals involving draft picks. But with the 'Canucks-luck', I'm not holding my breath.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
It seems more obvious by the day that the Canucks are going to end up being seriously screwed by the Tyler Tofoli trade.

From the very beginning, it was a trade predicated on the assumption that Tofoli would not only help get this team over the hump and into the playoffs, but that with all his post-season experience he'd be a player who would help them when they got there. Now it looks likes all they'll get is 10 regular season games.

It was never much better than 50/50 they'd be able to re-sign him, and now with the looming cap crunch, the odds have probably sunk to 20/80. So giving up a second rounder and Tyler Madden--a solid 'B' level prospect--is bordering on 'disastrous' for a team still in a rebuilding mode.

I suppose there's still a slim chance the NHL will do something to redress some of these trade deadline deals involving draft picks. But with the 'Canucks-luck', I'm not holding my breath.
I don't see them redressing deadline trades in a direct way. If they do, there's no way they do so in a way that recoups any assets from teams that traded players like Toffoli, who were simply trying to get value from players they no longer needed as all rebuilding teams have done. Figuring out a fair way to redistribute assets would be nearly impossible. I think the league can give contenders lost value back practically in two ways -- a small number of supplementary picks, and providing as many as 2-3 compliance buyouts.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I don't see them redressing deadline trades in a direct way. If they do, there's no way they do so in a way that recoups any assets from teams that traded players like Toffoli, who were simply trying to get value from players they no longer needed as all rebuilding teams have done. Figuring out a fair way to redistribute assets would be nearly impossible. I think the league can give contenders lost value back practically in two ways -- a small number of supplementary picks, and providing as many as 2-3 compliance buyouts.

I agree, but if the NHL elects to level the playing field by reimbursing teams that made rental trades at the TDL, I think the approach that makes the most sense is just by adding extra picks to the end of each round (i.e. the Canucks would get a late 2nd for the Toffoli trade). It's not perfect, and it slightly shafts other teams who get bumped back, but it's a decent alternative.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I agree, but if the NHL elects to level the playing field by reimbursing teams that made rental trades at the TDL, I think the approach that makes the most sense is just by adding extra picks to the end of each round (i.e. the Canucks would get a late 2nd for the Toffoli trade). It's not perfect, and it slightly shafts other teams who get bumped back, but it's a decent alternative.
I agree in principle but I think adding the required number of picks at the end of the 2nd will probably be too thorny to pull off. Buyouts satisfy nearly everyone. Contending teams have a shot at resigning the players they acquired and pick up bought out players cheaply. The Senators get to buy out Bobby Ryan and Nikita Zaitsev and not see their 4 2nds move back 8-10 spots.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know it might be sacrilege in some quarters to even suggest it....but if the Canucks were to re-sign Tyler Tofoli, would that make Brock Boeser a potential trade chip?

Would the Canucks consider Boeser heading back to Minnesota for Matt Dumba, and maybr a draft pick thrown in? Similar contracts, but Canucks need help on the blueline a lot more than a scoring forward right now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see Benning is being quoted as saying "he'd like to re-acquire a second round draft pick" in the upcoming draft to replace the one he dealt in the Tofoli deal.

I'm stumped trying to figure out who Jimbo could possibly trade off his current roster to acquire a second-rounder. I suppose there's a remote chance they could trade one of their young goalies. But assuming his other young prospects are 'untouchable' then all he has to offer up are 'future draft picks' unfortunately.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Joey Hansen...why is he a source...?..He kind of looks like the 'missing link'..

https://twitter.com/joeydhansen/photo
FatherlyNeglectedGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
I see Benning is being quoted as saying "he'd like to re-acquire a second round draft pick" in the upcoming draft to replace the one he dealt in the Tofoli deal.

I'm stumped trying to figure out who Jimbo could possibly trade off his current roster to acquire a second-rounder. I suppose there's a remote chance they could trade one of their young goalies. But assuming his other young prospects are 'untouchable' then all he has to offer up are 'future draft picks' unfortunately.

pretty much Demko, and it would be a shame to lose him for just a 2nd.

Or, I suppose Pearson if we win the lotto and draft Lafreniere :nod:

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I've never understood the Benning hate even a little. Have been arguing with Nucks fans for years on it. When he tookover you guys were in a horrible position. Going forward you're top 5-6 in the league now. All without lottery luck (I'd love to see Laf in Vancouver though).

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I've never understood the Benning hate even a little. Have been arguing with Nucks fans for years on it. When he tookover you guys were in a horrible position. Going forward you're top 5-6 in the league now. All without lottery luck (I'd love to see Laf in Vancouver though).

So you must be new to hockey.

If nothing else we are no where near top 5-6 team in the nhl, let alone anything else you said in this post.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jimbo has vehemently denied that Boeser is on the trade block.....says he's never talked to anyone about Boeser, not even once. So I guess the reporters like Sekeras, Dhaliwal and others are just blowing smoke.

Frankly, if Benning isn't talking trade with other teams on any player on his roster not named Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat and Miller, then he isn't doing his job.

But I guess that should put an end to any rumors, but probably won't. A flat cap basically means they can keep Boeser or Tofoli, but not likely both. They'd better get some some serious payback in the form of goals and assists from Tofoli in this post-season run. Otherwise, it'll go down as one of their most expensive and lopsided trades in Benning's tenure when he walks in the offseason.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
This needs updating.

Also it’s f***ing insane this employment is still happening.

It was easy to recognize he was a dud by the end of season 1.

edit the OP all in red is a tough to read. May I suggest colour coding each season?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad