What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
He hasn't been noticeably worse than Matthews overall in the playoff series. Both have their ups and downs, but seem to struggle come playoffs.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The Leafs aren't a soft team.

Mentally and/or psychologically, maybe they are. But physically, they really aren't.

Their best players can be thrown off their games when the physicality ramps up, though.
Matthews, the best player on either team, had the most hits last game.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
i wonder what type of value they could get for him at this point. the book is out on him and he only has 1 year left at $10.9m. he could still be valuable to a team that need more talent to get into the playoffs or a team that needs a star player. id like to see utah take a swing, lots of cap space and futures.

I think he can definitely be traded for a decent return, especially if they're willing to retain salary.

I don't see any reason he can't be to another team what Kessel was to Pittsburgh.

Hell, he's a better two-way player than Kessel and wouldn't be a bad fit on a third line in the playoffs. Send him to a team that has a couple of big stars and he can be the third-wheel offensively.

Toronto simply doesn't use him that way and probably never will.

I can see TOR being rid of him and Tavares soon. They have guys like Knies, Robertson and McMann. They may be able to get another big name forward in a trade or as a UFA.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think he can definitely be traded for a decent return, especially if they're willing to retain salary.

I don't see any reason he can't be to another team what Kessel was to Pittsburgh.

Hell, he's a better two-way player than Kessel and wouldn't be a bad fit on a third line in the playoffs. Send him to a team that has a couple of big stars and he can be the third-wheel offensively.

Toronto simply doesn't use him that way and probably never will.

I can see TOR being rid of him and Tavares soon. They have guys like Knies, Robertson and McMann. They may be able to get another big name forward in a trade or as a UFA.
Marner has a full NMC. If he leaves it’s because the Leafs don’t re-sign him July 2025.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Personally I would go nuclear and try and trade as many of them as I could get equal-greater value from, Tavares would just be dumped at 5.5 for a late draft pick
Thats great and all, go nuclear all you want, they've got NTC's! Good luck moving them. Believe me I want a bunch of these stupid ass contracts gone, I know i'm sick of hearing 50+ mill tied into 5 players I include Reilly's dopey ass contract too. They're not waiving!!

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Remember when Leon played on one leg in the playoffs. He didn’t get 3 weeks to a month off to rest it. Kept going and putting up numbers.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Thats great and all, go nuclear all you want, they've got NTC's! Good luck moving them. Believe me I want a bunch of these stupid ass contracts gone, I know i'm sick of hearing 50+ mill tied into 5 players I include Reilly's dopey ass contract too. They're not waiving!!
They'd waive if you threaten to go public with it.

I mean it depends on how much balls you have, Boston traded away two young studs (Segiun, Thornton) and then won a cup, Vegas traded their most beloved player in Fleury and then won a cup.

If you outright said "yeah I went to them and asked them to waive, their time is up here, they are just prolonging the situation when they have played like shit in the playoffs while taking all our cap space" they'd waive real quick from the heat.

Why would a player stay in a city where he isn't wanted and the ownership has no confidence in the player? Has that ever happened? No because it makes no sense from anybody's perspective.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
i wonder what type of value they could get for him at this point. the book is out on him and he only has 1 year left at $10.9m. he could still be valuable to a team that need more talent to get into the playoffs or a team that needs a star player. id like to see utah take a swing, lots of cap space and futures.

Why not Pittsburgh? Guentzel came off the books. Dubas.

I mean it depends on how much balls you have, Boston traded away two young studs (Segiun, Thornton) and then won a cup, Vegas traded their most beloved player in Fleury and then won a cup.

If you outright said "yeah I went to them and asked them to waive, their time is up here, they are just prolonging the situation when they have played like shit in the playoffs while taking all our cap space" they'd waive real quick from the heat.

Why would a player stay in a city where he isn't wanted and the ownership has no confidence in the player? Has that ever happened? No because it makes no sense from anybody's perspective.

Seguin was traded after they lost to Chicago in 2013 and haven’t won a cup since.

Remember when Leon played on one leg in the playoffs. He didn’t get 3 weeks to a month off to rest it. Kept going and putting up numbers.

He only played on one leg at the defensive end. He was totally fine when on offense.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

and what GM is going to do something that f***in stupid? Go on i'll wait....

Also get your facts straight about Seguin.

63e88fe984ece.image.jpg

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He is a very good regular season player but he just sucks in the playoffs, what the biggest issue with Marner?

He will blame the media but he does not help himself in any way by shutting up his critics. Maybe his father is too involved in his career.

If the Maple Leafs lose this series and Marner does not make an impact, there will be massive questions and Marner can't blame the media.

Mitch Marner reminds me of Johnny Gaudreau in Calagry.

He's a very soft player. He doesn't like being hit. He won't pay a physical price to make a play and that aspect of the game is amplified dramatically in the post season. There's less time, less space and more physicality and all of those things work against Mitch Marner.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He is sabotaging the leafs for bringing tavares in, and stealing money off matthews and his table.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Leafs aren't a soft team.

Mentally and/or psychologically, maybe they are. But physically, they really aren't.

Their best players can be thrown off their games when the physicality ramps up, though.
Same issue as the Jets. Star players wilt under pressure.

Reactions: DitchMarner

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I would’ve dealt him before the NMC kicked in. He just hasn’t shown up when needed. Isn’t willing to pay the price to get close to the net. Perimeter player…

If he’s going to turn things around, now would be the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad