Injury Report: Jets Wounded Update

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It was "Big Jim and the twins" in my childhood, but "Spike and the plum bag" works too :)

Benny Hill once referenced "Meat + 2 Veg", that's another fine choice.

And since we're on the topic, 100% true story:

Once in my teenage youth, I had a friend over and we were discussing how many different euphemisms there were for the, uh, male act of sexual self-gratification. And all the usual ones came up, all them poor monkeys and chickens and such. And then, a minute or so later, my dad comes back down to watch the next period of the hockey game, so we're like "oh shit" and quickly hushed up and all that, trying to restrain ourselves after discussing such a vulgar topic.

And very early in the period, Calgary gets scored on, and the head coach Mike Keenan decides he's seen enough of his starter.

And the announcer says "there's Mike Keenan pulling the goalie behind the bench again"

And we LAUGHED.

Like, I mean, "fall off the sofa" laughing. All the ones we tried to come up with, and the commentator puts us both to shame.

And my poor father who had no idea what the hell this was was about, in his best Red Forman voice, declares "Jean, your kid's an idiot!".

Oh shit, man, those were the days.

ANYWAYS.

All the beast of health to Blake. And, uh, Spike. Or Big Jim, or whoever :P

I laughed at the same spot. :laugh:

Reactions: AlphaLackey

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
It was "Big Jim and the twins" in my childhood, but "Spike and the plum bag" works too :)

Benny Hill once referenced "Meat + 2 Veg", that's another fine choice.

And since we're on the topic, 100% true story:

Once in my teenage youth, I had a friend over and we were discussing how many different euphemisms there were for the, uh, male act of sexual self-gratification. And all the usual ones came up, all them poor monkeys and chickens and such. And then, a minute or so later, my dad comes back down to watch the next period of the hockey game, so we're like "oh shit" and quickly hushed up and all that, trying to restrain ourselves after discussing such a vulgar topic.

And very early in the period, Calgary gets scored on, and the head coach Mike Keenan decides he's seen enough of his starter.

And the announcer says "there's Mike Keenan pulling the goalie behind the bench again"

And we LAUGHED.

Like, I mean, "fall off the sofa" laughing. All the ones we tried to come up with, and the commentator puts us both to shame.

And my poor father who had no idea what the hell this was was about, in his best Red Forman voice, declares "Jean, your kid's an idiot!".

Oh shit, man, those were the days.

ANYWAYS.

All the beast of health to Blake. And, uh, Spike. Or Big Jim, or whoever :P
Twig and berries was a common one that was out there at one point.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Where does Appleton slot in when he's back? 3RW?
I think that's likely. You look at where the team started the season. Top six is still the same, just centres have been flipped. Checking line was Barron-Lowry-Appleton for 2 games before Ehlers went down. I think the Jets like Appleton's ability to skate with the big boys and get into some dangerous scoring areas, but also the ability to block shots, and track players down in the neutral zone.

4th line to start was Maenalanen-Gustafsson-Gagner, and I'd think that Maenalanen is still safe. His defensive metrics and PK metrics are both very good. I still think the Jets acquire a centre for faceoffs to go somewhere in the lineup, maybe that's Appleton's spot, maybe Barron's (likely Barron gets demoted before Appleton).

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think that's likely. You look at where the team started the season. Top six is still the same, just centres have been flipped. Checking line was Barron-Lowry-Appleton for 2 games before Ehlers went down. I think the Jets like Appleton's ability to skate with the big boys and get into some dangerous scoring areas, but also the ability to block shots, and track players down in the neutral zone.

4th line to start was Maenalanen-Gustafsson-Gagner, and I'd think that Maenalanen is still safe. His defensive metrics and PK metrics are both very good. I still think the Jets acquire a centre for faceoffs to go somewhere in the lineup, maybe that's Appleton's spot, maybe Barron's (likely Barron gets demoted before Appleton).
Stenlund takes Gus’s spot and is pretty good at face offs.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Stenlund takes Gus’s spot and is pretty good at face offs.
I think you are right about that one. I like Gustafsson as a player though, for me he is a better PKer than Stenlund, but the Jets don't have a RHC who can play the PK, and having Stenlund taking draws on his strong side, where Lowry has a poor success rate on the weak side, balances the PK out. Bowness is big on starting the PK with the puck, so I think that sticks, but could be an area to upgrade if you want a true 4 line team.

Gagner I don't know about him. He's up there tied with Perfetti for ES goals, ahead of him in total. Playoff goals don't come all that easy, so maybe he sticks, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is replaced by a better defensive player. And then if Perfetti struggles in the top 6, there's another option. Where you could move Gagner into the spot with Duby and Connor, and Ehlers on to the Scheifele line, and still have balanced scoring.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'd like to see Apples back in on the third - he's been away forever it seems
If Appleton can get back to his top game and if the team can bring in an impact 3rd line player (top 6 disguised as a bottom 6), with another middle 6 forward to push the 4th line then we’ll be in decent shape to cause teams issues come the playoffs.

Otherwise Appleton May end up on our 4th line.

Reactions: TommyKillian

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If Appleton can get back to his top game and if the team can bring in an impact 3rd line player (top 6 disguised as a bottom 6), with another middle 6 forward to push the 4th line then we’ll be in decent shape to cause teams issues come the playoffs.

Otherwise Appleton May end up on our 4th line.
Based on what the roster is now, where do you see Apples assuming he gets his game up to speed quickly

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Based on what the roster is now, where do you see Apples assuming he gets his game up to speed quickly

I see him on the 3rd with Lowry and Barron.
I think he definitely gets a chance to get his game up to speed on the 3rd. I do think that the Jets will bring in at least one upgrade (minimum) for the 3rd line. It will be between Barron and Apples to see who ends up on the 4th.

Mason likely bumps the rookie assuming the new player can play LW.

Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think he definitely gets a chance to get his game up to speed on the 3rd. I do think that the Jets will bring in at least one upgrade (minimum) for the 3rd line. It will be between Barron and Apples to see who ends up on the 4th.

Mason likely bumps the rookie assuming the new player can play LW.
It will be interesting to see what Chevy does before the TD. I'm not sure of how big a swing he takes at pure rentals. I'm sort of leaning in the direction he looks for players with term.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It will be interesting to see what Chevy does before the TD. I'm not sure of how big a swing he takes at pure rentals. I'm sort of leaning in the direction he looks for players with term.
It would be neat to see the “menu” of costs and options. There are so many factors to consider with adding term. Only Chevy and his cap geeks can know the plans. I could see the Jets adding 2 to 3 players. I doubt they all would have term.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If he is looking for a future replacement for Wheeler, I agree that he will be looking for term

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
Neither apples or slow gus offer much, one is a 4th liner the other a tweener
Apples was one of the best checkers on the team... he belongs on the third checking line, however they need a scorer and checker on the other side not Barron. Although they could be a very effective big checking line in the play offs.

Reactions: sipowicz

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Can they take Appleton off IR even if he is not fully recovered before the AS break for cap savings of being able to send someone else down during the break?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Can they take Appleton off IR even if he is not fully recovered before the AS break for cap savings of being able to send someone else down during the break?
I get the sense that someone is going to be on IR once he comes back. Gustafsson will be back before him. It's still 40 days to the trade deadline. Only realistic player that can be sent down without waivers is Dylan Samberg. Not sure what that would accomplish at this point.

Kuhlman, AJF, Maenalanen or Gustafsson, maybe one of them are deemed expendable, but that's likely losing a player for nothing, to acquire a better player with TD assets. If Lowry, Appleton, Stenlund and Barron are all players who are more solidified in the lineup, with PK responsibility, I could see the Jets going that way.

That said there are some injured players right now, playing through them, and maybe Chevy would like to keep his depth by giving those guys time to heal.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It is a pretty fine line if he is fully recovered before the all star break. All the Jets need to do is actually take him off IR even if he doesn't play until after the AS break. You can still be injured and not on IR.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad