Post-Game Talk: Jets win the battle of the best: 3-1 Jets

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
the irrational hate for buff blows my mind and alot of it comes from a few of the fins who didnt watch when buff single handedly carried this team a few years back. hes not perfect but he sure as hell is one of the most intimidating d men in the league and keeps ppl from being too stupid with our star players.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Intimidating...... why not sign a goon instead
because a "goon" cant play 20 minutes a night against the other teams best players night in night out and give the confidence to his team mates like buff does. do you even read what you write sometimes? lol cmon man give your head a shake like i said buff is not perfect but he brings alot more to the team then you think and his role will be less and less as years pass allowing younger players to take over

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
There's enough antiBuff sentiment from all areas of this board. It was here long before Laine arrived.

Reactions: STZD

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Did anyone else think hutch got extremely lucky last night? 4 posts on him, beat 5 times.
He played fairly good but yikes.
He had 3 or 4 full Pav flopping fits as well.
Though i will admit, i have way more confidence in him than in mason....
a goalie can take all the angle and you hit the post most of them were outside of the post grazings.. he played good

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
So, Lowry's starting to get recognized by the stats guys. We've been talking about him for some time. He's been badly maligned by a lot of posters here in the past, despite good performance last year and in his rookie season.
Guy
Will pop in a couple 20 goal season also. As long as he plays a full season.

His very valuabld now but he will as valuable as schiefele.and helly during the playoff.

GO jets Go

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The Jets blueline is probably their greatest strength this year. Without Kulikov and Trouba it is still one of the stronger defense groups out there. Buff adds a lot to the team and takes away a little bit of safety. It's well known that his contributions outweigh his deficiencies. If you keep his minutes in check. Most teams would love to have a 240 pound offensive defenseman. Jets are lucky.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Those who keep pushing for a more offensive 3C seem to underestimate how valuable this role is.

Agree 100%. That's why Armia and Tanev swapped places because Lowry isn't losing ice time to anyine. Armia improves their offense and arguably makes them stronger defensively as well. Tanev can play effectively with anybody and is a valuable PK and 4th liner.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Buff should be really made to play 100% focus on playing defensively responsible hockey without his roaming all over the ice, and he should play 15-20 minutes a night. If he would commit and settle to all that, I could see him still as a pretty useful (although as an extremely expensive 2nd or 3rd pair D-man) player. ........
This is the very opposite of optimal usage for Buff. His worth comes from what he adds to offense and his weaknesses are in his defensive game. Take away his offensive prowess and you get exactly what you erroneously labeled him--a low minute 2-3 pairing D. There is mounds of data illustrating this if you'd care to do some research.

Buff has been a multiple NHL all star for good reason, but is flawed defensively; otherwise he would be a Norris Trophy winner. Deal with it and stop trying to remake him into a Giordano or Suter.

Buff is also an enigma--I've not been particularly happy with his play this season, and would consider trading him if Trouba signs LT in the off-season...but he could still be a real leader and difference-maker in the playoffs this year.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
This is the very opposite of optimal usage for Buff. His worth comes from what he adds to offense and his weaknesses are in his defensive game. Take away his offensive prowess and you get exactly what you erroneously labeled him--a low minute 2-3 pairing D. There is mounds of data illustrating this if you'd care to do some research.

Buff has been a multiple NHL all star for good reason, but is flawed defensively; otherwise he would be a Norris Trophy winner. Deal with it and stop trying to remake him into a Giordano or Suter.

Buff is also an enigma--I've not been particularly happy with his play this season, and would consider trading him if Trouba signs LT in the off-season...but he could still be a real leader and difference-maker in the playoffs this year.
Would you care to tell me how you see his shooting skills (shooting the puck hard is not enough) and how well he is really quarterbacking the powerplay? I mean I at least see seriously Myers and Morrissey (maybe even Trouba), as much better quarterbacking options.

Btw, some people seem to really think that I have watched the Jets play a lot only since Laine joined the Jets. Wrong! The Jets have been one of my favorite teams since Selänne and Numminen played there. Sure I started to watch the Jets even clearly more when Laine joined the team, but I was watching the Jets play many games per every season since they returned to the NHL. It’s just that I became an active poster on this site around the time when Laine, Aho and Pulju started in the NHL. The NHL became that much more interesting for me, when several young rising Finnish stars joined the league, that it was nice to get into communicating with the fans of their teams.

So I have definitely seen Buff play in many games along his career. I in fact remember pretty well even the times when he was playing for Chicago and in the playoffs in their cup winning run he was pretty darn impressive. But if I remember correctly he was in fact played as a forward in at least many of those playoffs games, and did in fact a great job in creating havoc in front of the opponents goal.

But during all those years I have also seen a lot of Buff’s glaring weaknesses, and honestly I don’t think that the Jets really need that much the very much offensive minded Buff, as he brings just way too much of risk and chaos to the Jets play. He was in some things good for the very mediocre team that the Jets were for quite long, and sure he thrived from that kind of pretty much free role that he could have. But things have drastically changed for the present Jets. There is no need at all for the old kind of Buff, and if he seriously wants to be part of the hopefully becoming Jets success story, he needs to start playing in the way that can help the Jets in the best way. There are offensively better D-man options in the Jets already, so no use to use Buff at least in the kind of primary role in that, as he has so far had.

I believe that he really could play good solid defence if he is demanded that and he fully commits to that. But I’m pretty sure that neither the demanding nor the committing has happened enough yet. If neither can’t really happen, then Buff is definitely not worth the millions that he is getting, but as I already mentioned, I pretty much belive that if the coach knows how to demand the right kind of defensive focus from him, it could still be possible. If not, then just let him go as soon as it will be technically possible.

Last edited:

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
not to mention Buff last year had a killer 2.5 shooting % same with this year I think as well. I hope buff buys in to the system more and lets the offense come from his good defensive plays. I mean he asked to play defense... this is it.

Reactions: Jets2point0

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Would you care to tell me how you see his shooting skills (shooting the puck hard is not enough) and how well he is really quarterbacking the powerplay? I mean I at least see seriously Myers and Morrissey (maybe even Trouba), as much better quarterbacking options.

Btw, some people seem to really think that I have watched the Jets play a lot only since Laine joined the Jets. Wrong! The Jets have been one of my favorite teams since Selänne and Numminen played there. Sure I started to watch the Jets even clearly more when Laine joined the team, but I was watching the Jets play many games per every season since they returned to the NHL. It’s just that I became an active poster on this site around the time when Laine, Aho and Pulju started in the NHL. The NHL became that much more interesting for me, when several young rising Finnish stars joined the league, that it was nice to get into communicating with the fans of their teams.

So I have definitely seen Buff play in many games along his career. I in fact remember pretty well even the times when he was playing for Chicago and in the playoffs in their cup winning run he was pretty darn impressive. But if I remember correctly he was in fact played as a forward in at least many of those playoffs games, and did in fact a great job in creating havoc in front of the opponents goal.

But during all those years I have also seen a lot of Buff’s glaring weaknesses, and honestly I don’t think that the Jets really need that much the very much offensive minded Buff, as he brings just way too much of risk and chaos to the Jets play. He was in some things good for the very mediocre team that the Jets were for quite long, and sure he thrived from that kind of pretty much free role that he could have. But things have drastically changed for the present Jets. There is no need at all for the old kind of Buff, and if he seriously wants to be part of the hopefully becoming Jets success story, he needs to start playing in the way that can help the Jets in the best way. There are offensively better D-man options in the Jets already, so no use to use Buff at least in the kind of primary role in that, as he has so far had.

I believe that he really could play good solid defence if he is demanded that and he fully commits to that. But I’m pretty sure that neither the demanding nor the committing has happened enough yet. If neither can’t really happen, then Buff is definitely not worth the millions that he is getting, but as I already mentioned, I pretty much belive that if the coach knows how to demand the right kind of defensive focus from him, it could still be possible. If not, then just let him go as soon as it will be technically possible.

Buff isn't my cup of tea as a player but he is 10th overall in points for dmen since 2014-15 and is 12th in ppg. He is most certainly a bit unorthodox in how he produces his offense though. He has been a pretty elite offensive dmen in the league. That said I think he definitely is slowing down, he isn't able to play consistently at the elite level he had been a couple of seasons ago. There are also rumblings that he may not be happy with a reduced role. If Trouba stays I would explore trade options for him if he can't get his game to a higher level.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Buff isn't my cup of tea as a player but he is 10th overall in points for dmen since 2014-15 and is 12th in ppg. He is most certainly a bit unorthodox in how he produces his offense though. He has been a pretty elite offensive dmen in the league. That said I think he definitely is slowing down, he isn't able to play consistently at the elite level he had been a couple of seasons ago. There are also rumblings that he may not be happy with a reduced role. If Trouba stays I would explore trade options for him if he can't get his game to a higher level.

Agree. If Trouba signs get the value out of Buff now while it’s still there.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
it very irretating and wrongness in all way buff plays at PP. he should for this teams best also as said be bought out. he doing all kinds of things badly all the time. is this not clear? do you understand anything what you see folks? hes doing all kinds of wrongness all the time. he has no skill what so ever. his stickhandling is not there. he has no gameunderstanding at all. he is slow etc etc.

very frustrating he is the playmaker at PP . he has no skill to be at PP. throwing pucks against goal at pp can any do and get some randoms Points. his Points total say nothing of him as good/bad player. im sorry you have understading this. he plays alot time(then automatically dropping in Points) there should be guy like armia pp who has hands and Power to defend if opponent got puck here. put armia as last man on pp. buff destroying this teams fluent playing. it gets flipperlike. he like sport goofy out there. there is nothing more to say. just buy out and fast. thanks

he has big Money contract with perhaps clausuls he must have big amount ice time etc. but can this be bought out still?

avgard hockeypfrfrofessor

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
it very irretating and wrongness in all way buff plays at PP. he should for this teams best also as said be bought out. he doing all kinds of things badly all the time. is this not clear? do you understand anything what you see folks? hes doing all kinds of wrongness all the time. he has no skill what so ever. his stickhandling is not there. he has no gameunderstanding at all. he is slow etc etc.

very frustrating he is the playmaker at PP . he has no skill to be at PP. throwing pucks against goal at pp can any do and get some randoms Points. his Points total say nothing of him as good/bad player. im sorry you have understading this. he plays alot time. there should be guy like armia pp who has hands and Power to defend if opponent got puck here. put armia as last man on pp. buff destroying this teams fluent playing. it gets flipperlike. he like sport goofy out there. there is nothing more to say. just buy out and fast. thanks

he has big Money contract with perhaps clausuls he must have big amount ice time etc. but can this be bought out still?

avgard hockeypfrfrofessor

Siri, tell me about Dustin Byfuglien...

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

For pure entertainment value, Buff probably has no equal in the NHL, especially when he is fully motivated. The question remains though - how many true "contender teams" have been structured so as to showcase a D, who provides such little support to his defensive partner in their own zone and who who is a perfectly described "roamer" while in the neutral or offensive zones?

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
man if we could trade buff for a good bottom for pairing and some picks or a good prospect... the freed money from his contracts and enstroms is like 13mil

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets powerplay is currently converting at 24.7%, good for 2nd in the NHL.

From October 4 - December 9, the Jets PP was 25.7%. Then Buff got injured and from December 10 - January 1, the PP slumped to 19.4%. Since Buff's been back, the PP is up to 27.3%.

It seems the Jets PP is significantly more effective when Buff's manning the point.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

From October 4 - December 9, the Jets PP was 25.7%. Then Buff got injured and from December 10 - January 1, the PP slumped to 19.4%. Since Buff's been back, the PP is up to 27.3%.

It seems the Jets PP is significantly more effective when Buff's manning the point.

Our penalty rate did decrease while he was gone

Reactions: Ippenator

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Because they used Troubadour instead of Mo

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad