Post-Game Talk: Jets win the battle of the best: 3-1 Jets

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Only knock on Buff is how casually we mention ‘when hes motivated..”

Hes the highest paid player on our team and wears a letter. He needs to play like last night way more consistently (and stop taking dumb penalties). No denying hes a unique talent and brings a lot to the team, but unfortunately on most nights its obvious he can bring a whole lot more

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I could see all this get rid of Buff talk if we were losing games and losing games just because Buff is causing us to lose games , but we aren't . Brent Burns is thought of as one of the best defenseman in the league , Norris trophy worthy , and he and Buff are of the same ilk . I bet certain people would rather have Burns , not me because Buff can change a game with one hit . # Momentum !!

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Should someone tell Ferrarro about the skywalk system or should we let him keep freezing while he walks from his hotel to the arena? :snide:

Ferraro talking about the jets and doing colour against Tampa. Says he enjoys doing games in Winnipeg minus the cold surprise surprise and some security guard not letting him in. That can never happen again.... show starts out on jets talk
http://pulphockey.com/shows/180131_ferraro.mp3

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I actually think the slow(ish) retrieval is systematic. It draws the second forechecker to the puck because he thinks he can help. By drawing two players to him, it allows the Jet D, who still gets to the puck first, the ability to poke it behind the net, or into the opposite corner, to his partner who now has more space to deal with to advance the play as the first guy back has drawn two guys to him. Saw it a few times last night too, where Wheeler and Hendricks swept down and picked up the poked puck behind their net and were able to skate it out of trouble and dish off to the winger. That's how I see it anyway, could be wrong.

This is my conclusion as well. It used to drive me crazy at what seemed like lackadaisical puck retrieval. especially Buff! Every once in a while it backfires and we get caught. But it's obviously working for the most part.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
This is my conclusion as well. It used to drive me crazy at what seemed like lackadaisical puck retrieval. especially Buff! Every once in a while it backfires and we get caught. But it's obviously working for the most part.

Except with Kulikov getting plastered by Hertl...that didn't work...but I think it's an effective strategy, if it's in fact a strategy at all.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was all for giving Hutchinson another chance based off of his AHL performance but I think people are putting a lot of weight on the result to give Hutch credit and not his actual play.

He had 4 posts clank behind him, and he was very fortunate on a number of occasions that he did not get scored on when he was scrambling.

I do not think he played poorly, and I'd bet he was nervous as hell (and he made the saves he had to to win) but I think proclaiming him as a suitable backup for a playoff run is VERY premature.

Reactions: TheGovernment

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Except with Kulikov getting plastered by Hertl...that didn't work...but I think it's an effective strategy, if it's in fact a strategy at all.

Yeah, I'm not sure what Kuli was thinking on that play. He should have known that hit is likely coming and did little to get away from it. Hertl over exuberant and we have an injury.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I think what infuriates many fans about Buff is what appears to be a lackadaisical attitude as well as his penchant for taking risks. Many of which are ill advised. I don't believe for the most part that Buff is being lazy as many suggest. But it does bite him once in a while. And I'm not so sure that motivation is a problem. There's no one else in the league that seems to genuinely enjoy playing the game more than him. His attitude is pretty darn good and I believe it's an important aspect to our team morale.

As for his risky play, I think he's really made great strides this year to keep that down to a minimum. It comes out every once in a while, but for the most part, I think he's been pretty restrained this year.

The other thing that I believe drives people crazy is this. Here's a huge physical specimen, but he doesn't play physical often enough. It's not that doesn't, but we all love the bone crunching hits, guys flying, feet in the air, type of hits.
I must admit, I love it when Buff gets mad. But the way the game is going, and how the refs are calling the games, it's probably not wise anymore. Even when Buff lays out a clean but hard hit, the ferocity of it often draws a call. But I think Buff should lay out at least one of those each game, even if he gets called, to make a statement and keep the opponent's head up.

The last thing that drives people crazy is the "roaming" Buff. His detractors often point that out as his weakness. What they want is a stay at home defensive defenseman. In other words, they want Buff to be something he's not. I believe this style comes from his many years playing as a forward. I guess you either like this aspect or not. But it is unconventional and is glaring when he gets caught. But he's such a good skater, that he can pull this off most of the time.

Instead of vilifying him for this, we should embrace it as a team. Have set plays where he does drive to the front and someone covers for him. Design our offence to use him (and Laine) to their strengths. (I know we do this already to some extent).

What I would like to see more from Buff is for him to be driving the net, instead of going for a skate around the back of the net and out in front. The play from Buff should mostly be bullying his way to the front of the net. He has the physical strength to do it. Create havoc, rebounds. What could be more frightening than Buff barreling down on a goaltender?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I've been thinking the NHL has been locked into 3F 2D as an optimal deployment for a long time. Considering what I value in a D-man, and the current rules, I wonder if that's the optimal usage as a roster nowadays.

Having a flex winger and a flex D-man who rotate between offense and defense would be interesting to try, at least in the offensive zone.

I'd like to see a junior team give it a shot.

Reactions: Shazzam

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I've been thinking the NHL has been locked into 3F 2D as an optimal deployment for a long time. Considering what I value in a D-man, and the current rules, I wonder if that's the optimal usage as a roster nowadays.

Having a flex winger and a flex D-man who rotate between offense and defense would be interesting to try, at least in the offensive zone.

I'd like to see a junior team give it a shot.
A true 5 man unit where people have their 'fall back' positions but are truly fluid on the ice would be the best set up IF all 5 people had high hockey intelligence and read off one another and the developing play. Unfortunately there aren't enough players with those qualities.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think what infuriates many fans about Buff is what appears to be a lackadaisical attitude as well as his penchant for taking risks. Many of which are ill advised. I don't believe for the most part that Buff is being lazy as many suggest. But it does bite him once in a while. And I'm not so sure that motivation is a problem. There's no one else in the league that seems to genuinely enjoy playing the game more than him. His attitude is pretty darn good and I believe it's an important aspect to our team morale.

As for his risky play, I think he's really made great strides this year to keep that down to a minimum. It comes out every once in a while, but for the most part, I think he's been pretty restrained this year.

The other thing that I believe drives people crazy is this. Here's a huge physical specimen, but he doesn't play physical often enough. It's not that doesn't, but we all love the bone crunching hits, guys flying, feet in the air, type of hits.
I must admit, I love it when Buff gets mad. But the way the game is going, and how the refs are calling the games, it's probably not wise anymore. Even when Buff lays out a clean but hard hit, the ferocity of it often draws a call. But I think Buff should lay out at least one of those each game, even if he gets called, to make a statement and keep the opponent's head up.

The last thing that drives people crazy is the "roaming" Buff. His detractors often point that out as his weakness. What they want is a stay at home defensive defenseman. In other words, they want Buff to be something he's not. I believe this style comes from his many years playing as a forward. I guess you either like this aspect or not. But it is unconventional and is glaring when he gets caught. But he's such a good skater, that he can pull this off most of the time.

Instead of vilifying him for this, we should embrace it as a team. Have set plays where he does drive to the front and someone covers for him. Design our offence to use him (and Laine) to their strengths. (I know we do this already to some extent).

What I would like to see more from Buff is for him to be driving the net, instead of going for a skate around the back of the net and out in front. The play from Buff should mostly be bullying his way to the front of the net. He has the physical strength to do it. Create havoc, rebounds. What could be more frightening than Buff barreling down on a goaltender?

I have been far FAR less annoyed with Buff this year. He has been much more of a team player, has realized the Jets do not need him to drive offense.

I did not care for the way he handled the Buffalo benching situation, and besides the big hit yesterday, I feel like he looks almost disinterested out there lately. I want him to be more physical, even if it means a few more penalties. Especially in front of the net and along the boards in our zone I want him to make opposition forwards pay for every inch of ice.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
A true 5 man unit where people have their 'fall back' positions but are truly fluid on the ice would be the best set up IF all 5 people had high hockey intelligence and read off one another and the developing play. Unfortunately there aren't enough players with those qualities.

Perrault-Scheif-Ehlers-Jomo-Little

Maybe swap Ehlers for Lowry.

Reactions: Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->