Post-Game Talk: Jets win the battle of the best: 3-1 Jets

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
im saying buff is not playing at NHL level. i say the games are the proof. hes doing all kinds of wrongness all the time. buy him out i say. he just cant play beacause organisations has made wrong decision signing him with huge amount of Money. its the playing at ice that Count. that make me wonder how stupid this oraganisation is. set there any dman from farmleague and he cant be any worse by any meaning. he got some assitpoints but with that icetimes they all would get those Points. no big sicret here

avgard hockeypfrofssor

You have to understand how valuable he is to marketing. You can bring anybody to a hockey game and tell that #33 is good player, and people who do not know what is icing or slapshot will think that he is amazing.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
They announced before the season that Ferraro would occasionally be part of the TSN broadcasts. His primary duty will still be Leafs games when they're on TSN.
It was tongue in cheek. I'm aware of his commitments.

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
Is there anybody who watch these games? buff was a joke thru out whole game.

Buff tonight:

with puck:
Cant move the puck on offensive zone. Shots go well wide and they are rising super high.
Cant get puck to jets players on neutral zone.
Cant get ( end of the 2nd made successful break out pass to Lowry ) puck for Jets player to have full control of the puck in d-zone

without puck:
Offensive zone he either stands still on blue line or goes all in
Neutral zone he will attack puck with super high risk
defensive zone he cant read the play at all, he cant wait at his position for play come to him, so he decides to attack puck carrier no matter if he is already checked by some one or not. He does not support his defensive partner who carries the puck ever.

People have asked me to write all the good things buff does and on that game he made good break out pass to Lowry. Hope he will give me more positive things to write.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Buff tonight:

with puck:
Cant move the puck on offensive zone. Shots go well wide and they are rising super high.
Cant get ( end of the 2nd made successful break out pass to Lowry ) puck for Jets player to have full control of the puck in d-zone

without puck:
defensive zone he cant read the play at all, he cant wait at his position for play come to him, so he decides to attack puck carrier no matter if he is already checked by some one or not. He does not support his defensive partner who carries the puck ever.

People have asked me to write all the good things buff does and on that game he made good break out pass to Lowry. Hope he will give me more positive things to write.
Hey, only 1612 days till July 01, 2022. Hang in there.

Most people watch the games through non-tinted glasses, which probably explains why you seem to be very alone with your opinion on Buff.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
After all my praise, there are two things that I think the Jets could do to improve.

One, retrieve the puck quicker in our own end. Sometimes it seems a little nonchalant, and the forecheckers get there at the same time when there is no reason for them to.

Two, as soon as Ehlers takes off for one of his patented end to end rushes, someone has to get in front of the net, because there is always an opportunity for him to pop that puck right out front of the net as he goes around. That should be a set play.

It's nice to just be nit picking :)

I actually think the slow(ish) retrieval is systematic. It draws the second forechecker to the puck because he thinks he can help. By drawing two players to him, it allows the Jet D, who still gets to the puck first, the ability to poke it behind the net, or into the opposite corner, to his partner who now has more space to deal with to advance the play as the first guy back has drawn two guys to him. Saw it a few times last night too, where Wheeler and Hendricks swept down and picked up the poked puck behind their net and were able to skate it out of trouble and dish off to the winger. That's how I see it anyway, could be wrong.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
And I think Buff is really working on his game. He rarely shoots on the PP anymore, which is GREAT.

He is an offensive defenseman that can deliver bone-crunching hits. He still has a lot of work to do to really put the cherry on top for this team, but IMO he is trending up. Let's not forget that this guy was a forward.

There is a lot to improve for sure, but IMO it looks like he is getting the message. Those two penalties were unfortunate (one more than the other). Also, he does not lose possession in the D-zone. He makes bad reads and often his offense is just not needed at all, but this game Buff was super solid. Just having him on the team after he absolutely demolishes someone is good for morale for the Jets, and good for making the opposing line worry about not getting absolutely killed.

Just keep on working on your game. We don't need your offence, Buff, we need your bone-crunching and active defensive awareness with the offensive pinch from time-to-time, AT A SUITABLE MOMENT.

Reactions: Ippenator

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Usually don't complain about the lack of coverage the Jets get, but I am finding this pathetic.

Jets beating the Bolts should warrant a front page headline on TSN or Sportsnet, not being buried under several other headlines, including the Flames and HAbs losing. Hell, sports net made more notice of Nucks beating the Avs.

When we are the only Canadian team left playing this season, sure they will dedicate more space and time to how the Leafs failed to make it past the first round than the Jets playing in a conference final
Kudos for speaking your mind in the comment section of Sportsnet's piece on last night's win:
Michael Hutchinson earns win in net as Jets beat NHL-best Lightning

Great to see lotsa love for our Jets in many of the other comments too! :thumbu:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Buff tonight:

with puck:

without puck:

It's pretty obvious one person isn't watching.

I've said this before, you're intense dislike of Buff ruins your credibility. No person who has any kind of decent hockey acumen would agree with this kind of assessment. It's simply complete observer bias and is totally irrational.

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
He has been in NHL for more than other defenseman ( except Enstrom ) combined, so why not give ice the for those who does not have a lot to improve.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Because the Jets are a lot more indimitating with Buff.

I will agree with you that he has been below what he costs, but since his pouting-fit, I am seeing a difference.

Why he is on the PP with Laine, I don't know. I wouldn't keep him there.

Reactions: Ippenator

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Did anyone else think hutch got extremely lucky last night? 4 posts on him, beat 5 times.
He played fairly good but yikes.
He had 3 or 4 full Pav flopping fits as well.
Though i will admit, i have way more confidence in him than in mason....

Reactions: Matthew McConaughey

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Did anyone else think hutch got extremely lucky last night? 4 posts on him, beat 5 times.

Sometimes a goalie gets unlucky.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Good to be lucky
Lucky to be good

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Which lines did the Jets lines match against? I totally missed that part.
matchups-2018-01-30-2017020769-T.BatWPG.png

Reactions: Mathil8

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I actually think the slow(ish) retrieval is systematic. It draws the second forechecker to the puck because he thinks he can help. By drawing two players to him, it allows the Jet D, who still gets to the puck first, the ability to poke it behind the net, or into the opposite corner, to his partner who now has more space to deal with to advance the play as the first guy back has drawn two guys to him. Saw it a few times last night too, where Wheeler and Hendricks swept down and picked up the poked puck behind their net and were able to skate it out of trouble and dish off to the winger. That's how I see it anyway, could be wrong.

That's an interesting take on it. I actually wondered if I was missing something because it seemed like such an obvious thing to fix.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Hey, only 1612 days till July 01, 2022. Hang in there.

Most people watch the games through non-tinted glasses, which probably explains why you seem to be very alone with your opinion on Buff.
He is definitely not alone with his opinions. I see exactly all of those problems that he listed in Buffs play in almost every game that I have seen him play in. And I have noticed that there are A LOT of people here who see him exactly the same way.

But still I have to admit that despite those two stupid penalties (again) he played pretty well last night, especially defensively. But seriously he shouldn’t play power play at all. His shooting is so damn unefficient and inaccurate, and he just simply can’t move the puck quickly enough. If there was always Morrissey or Myers on the point instead of Buff, the Jets would have an even clearly better power play. It would possible be clearly the best in the league.

Buff should be really made to play 100% focus on playing defensively responsible hockey without his roaming all over the ice, and he should play 15-20 minutes a night. If he would commit and settle to all that, I could see him still as a pretty useful (although as an extremely expensive 2nd or 3rd pair D-man) player. Oh, and he still needs to definitely substantially reduce the amount of penalties that he takes.

Definitely it was mostly the so called good Buff last night. Just keep that up, drop the penalties and over 20 minute games and make him completely focus on playing D, which he definitely can do if he quits the nonsense with thinking that he is somekind of a modern times Bobby Orr.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flair Hay and GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It is all the small things he does. Love early on he was physical on Stamkos and Kucherov. I don't think we heard from Stamkos all night after that. Kucherov maybe had 1 quality chance? The strong stick battle wins were something too watch, I am glad Ferraro pointed things like that out.

I thought Copp was equally as good. Armia wasn't as good as those two but I thought he got better with them as the game went along. He is such a dog on the puck.
Yup. Lowry and Copp are just miserable to play against. They are all over you, and rarely caught out of position. They are also both very strong physically, so it's a long, hard game playing against them. Armia isn't as good without the puck, but his puck possession skills are sublime.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They announced before the season that Ferraro would occasionally be part of the TSN broadcasts. His primary duty will still be Leafs games when they're on TSN.

Good. So Ferraro gets to see the difference between a real contender and a pretender. :naughty::nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->