GDT: Jets vs Wild - Xcel Energy Center - 7:00pm CDT

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I thought from the opening puck drop last night we got our ***** kicked. Full marks to the Wild they looked great and Bruce has them playing a very different team style that is much more entertaining. Seeing Thor out there was painful when we have so many options now.

I will focus on a few positives:

I couldn't believe PMo actially moved Dano up and Burmi down :amazed::amazed:. Alex was having a terrible night on the wing and Dano was trapped in the black hole playing pretty well and they adjusted. Sadly the new line didn't find chemistry but they in game adjusted at least.

Ehlers was a freakin beast and is going to have a big season (his linemates were nappy nappy)

Morrissey looked really good and not in the wow did Buff carry him way......other than the one bad outlet pass Morrissey had a very good night and is now defending allot better than he has in the past which is a huge bonus. Josh will make his rookie mistakes this season but our highly skilled 2013 1st round pick looks like he has arrived. I am not always 100% positive on our prospects (see Logan Stanley) but I have been unwavering on Josh since watching him in PA in 13-14. His timing is impeccable because our D needs the help.

Perreault is a little beauty. Preseason or not our highly skilled frenchie is always all in.

Armia had a nice night.

Lowry had a better game.

There were too many negatives for this post so I will leave it since I assume most of it has been beat to death and I haven't read any of this thread yet. The first period was so fun to watch but from the second period on it was pretty painful.

Next game counts so let's hope we are a bit sharper Thursday.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
tumblr_m8jgwxSjyk1qimi3zo1_500.gif

Ok this was freakin awesome!!!

:handclap:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Burmi 2011-13 can officially be put to death. On the wing he just doesn't make sense.

Sadly he is not a good winger. He is a decent centre but I am hitting the wall on him.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The strange part of this game was Beyak telling us he's giving the wife an early birthday present tomorrow. TMI.

Honestly it was a refreshing break. Rip Vanwinkle needs to wake up and move on from his obbession with Face off %, hits, +-, and tight turns.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I said in a previous GDT that even as I fan of Burmi since day one I was ready to let him go. Garrett does need to change his avatar ;)

Sadly he is not a good winger. He is a decent centre but I am hitting the wall on him.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
here's the thing:
there still are enough idiot GMs out there that would salivate at the opportunity to pick up a high 1st round pick in a trade. aka the John Ferguson Effect

St Louis? ;)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
here's the thing:
there still are enough idiot GMs out there that would salivate at the opportunity to pick up a high 1st round pick in a trade. aka the John Ferguson Effect

With all of the other young, talented forwards we now have, this is the perfect opportunity for a trade, IMO. When Burmi did good Burmi things, I liked him and what he brought to the team. I just don't know what he's doing out there anymore - makes boneheaded plays that he never used to make, and doesn't even bring the strong possession game he used to bring.

I agree that someone would probably give up something reasonable in return for him. Even loading up with some more picks would be fine by me at this point - we're not hurting for forwards.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I am definitely willing to package Burmi up for some defensive depth. Perhaps someone needs a decent 3C that's on a good contract for another season. There's just no real room for him at center, as we have players that are better than he is at it, and while Frenchie is a good winger, we also have a stable of depth wingers that I would rather put in that place, as Frenchie is a better center than any of the other depth ones we have.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am definitely willing to package Burmi up for some defensive depth. Perhaps someone needs a decent 3C that's on a good contract for another season. There's just no real room for him at center, as we have players that are better than he is at it, and while Frenchie is a good winger, we also have a stable of depth wingers that I would rather put in that place, as Frenchie is a better center than any of the other depth ones we have.

Exactly how I am feeling now. Alex is a decent 3rd line centre but he just doesn't work on the wing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A lot of teams don't have the forward depth that the Jets have. Burmi would be an improvement to the bottom six of several teams, and he's cheap. I actually think that Tanev's showing might have altered his future, as much as anyone.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
With all of the other young, talented forwards we now have, this is the perfect opportunity for a trade, IMO. When Burmi did good Burmi things, I liked him and what he brought to the team. I just don't know what he's doing out there anymore - makes boneheaded plays that he never used to make, and doesn't even bring the strong possession game he used to bring.

I agree that someone would probably give up something reasonable in return for him. Even loading up with some more picks would be fine by me at this point - we're not hurting for forwards.

Burmistrov is dripping with talent but void of brains (and an NHL-calibre shot).
i still remember during the Jets' 1st season, seeing him play and thinking "my god, we have a potential superstar here..."
there's next to nothing left of that player.
bad penalties, poor passes, poor decisions, poor d-zone play. i honestly wish i could say that I've seen 1 or 2 redeeming things from him this pre-season. if i had to choose between putting him or Thorburn on the ice, i'm at the point where i'd honestly choose Thorburn. less mistakes made by Thorburn, same offensive prowess.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Burmistrov is dripping with talent but void of brains (and an NHL-calibre shot).
i still remember during the Jets' 1st season, seeing him play and thinking "my god, we have a potential superstar here..."
there's next to nothing left of that player.
bad penalties, poor passes, poor decisions, poor d-zone play. i honestly wish i could say that I've seen 1 or 2 redeeming things from him this pre-season. if i had to choose between putting him or Thorburn on the ice, i'm at the point where i'd honestly choose Thorburn. less mistakes made by Thorburn, same offensive prowess.

Burmi is still response in his own zone, for the most part. He's way better than Thorburn.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Burmi is still response in his own zone, for the most part. He's way better than Thorburn.

honestly, i'd debate you on that.
i'm curious to see the # of turnovers that are caused by Burmistrov's play vs Thorburn's play

folix

Jul 24, 2011
honestly, i'd debate you on that.
i'm curious to see the # of turnovers that are caused by Burmistrov's play vs Thorburn's play

Burmi gives it away in the offensive zone Thorburn goes offside by 12feet or more.

Burmi plays his position in the defensive zone and is discipline, Thorburn plays every position but his own in our zone.

Burmi doesn't fight, Thorburn loses all his fights.

I think it's Burmi by a hair honestly.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm sure this has been said in other threads, but I've got to say that it's hilarious (in hindsight) that Trouba pulled out when he did... with the emergence of JMo and the relatively poor play of Myers, there's a chance that Trouba could be eating minutes on the right side along with Toby by now. Guess that's what you get when you give up instead of giving it a try.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
How have we done on the PP since facing NHL as opposed to AHL competition? Our PP difficulties are still far from being solved. So far in NHL games, Kompton is no better than Vincent.

Its not the coach but the players we use that is the issue in my opinion.

1/2 the players on the #1 unit are not really good PP guys (esp. Wheeler and Buff). We need guys that can make quick passes and move the puck around quickly. On all very good PP units, the puck arrives and is gone to someone else immediately that doesn't happen with the Jets. I takes a long time for Jets to make the next pass. With Wheeler is in the order of many seconds most of time for the next pass...same with Buff (even Little). Same reason Myers sucks on the PP. I think JoMo is probably our best defense man for the PP.

Don't get me wrong, Wheeler and Buff are great players, but not great on the PP.

I would like to see the #1 unit of Shief, Ehlers, MP, JoMo and Laine

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup.

Maurice specifically mentioned Dano as having a good game tonight (along with Morrissey). Might signal that he's made the team on the 4th line. That would make me very happy.

You and Holden. :laugh:
The question would be, who does he bump? I hope it wouldn't be Tanev. I'd like Tanev to get a good look against real NHL competition.

Edit: I think it might be Burmi. Burmi may be our first loss to waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad