Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Panthers - Helsinki (Nov 1 & 2) Hartwall Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I disagree. So inform me where does the money come from to pay the players. It doesn't all come from the Owners as they seem to not lose money owning a hockey team.

If you want to be extremely pedantic and technically correct, your tickets are a very small part of the revenue that makes up the large HRR pool of which the players are paid out of.

In reality, your season tickets might pay for 2 periods of Mark Scheifele's contract. Saying "I pay their salary so I should have some influence" is akin to saying you should have a say in who should be CEO of McDonalds because you bought a couple of Big Macs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Gotta let it play out a bit more.... If Laine finishes the season with 10 goals, then fine, discuss trading him. But not until then..

GMs that have players like Laine fall in their laps do not stay employed very long if they then trade that player away. Having anyone that can score 40 goals is a rarity in today's NHL... you can't even think about trading a player like that until it is proven they are now a bust, or management demands it for PR reasons ( like drug use or they beat their wives or something along those lines ) and maybe not even then.

IMO Laine is feeling the pressure of being in the last year of his ELC and the pressure of trying to repeat his last 2 seasons. Time will tell if he overcomes this.

You won't get a Barkov for him if he finishes the season with 10 goals. That would be the time to not even consider trading him. It would mean selling low.

It doesn't matter who you trade. It matters who you get in return.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who the hell trades a 20 year old 40 goal scorer anyways? The kid's having some growing pains and people want to get rid of him. Fans can be so damn savage.

Nobody, that's who. Who trades a 23 YO, ppg 1C? Nobody. And that is who is discussing a fantasy trade because Laine is struggling. Nobody. His slow start has nothing to do with this conversation. The question is, would you trade the incredibly valuable Laine, for the incredibly valuable Barkov.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Okay but then the money saved on Barkov vs Laine could be used somewhere else useful.

Yup.
But I don't see Trouba having any part in this discussion - unless we do a package deal. :laugh:
How's the value on Barkov + Ekblad for Laine + Trouba? Just letting the imagination go a bit.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yup.
But I don't see Trouba having any part in this discussion - unless we do a package deal. :laugh:
How's the value on Barkov + Ekblad for Laine + Trouba? Just letting the imagination go a bit.
just in people saying that Trouba if overpaid would stay. Which might or might not be the best use of money saved in Barkov's 6mil contract vs Laine's 10-12 mil contract.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
just in people saying that Trouba if overpaid would stay. Which might or might not be the best use of money saved in Barkov's 6mil contract vs Laine's 10-12 mil contract.

JMO, but I don't think a moderate overpay gets it done. I don't know any more than anyone else what Trouba's true goals are. Maybe he wants an auction for his services. Maybe he wants to pick his destination. Maybe both. But I think he wants to go the UFA route and would only stay for a really large overpay. I hope Jets are not willing to overpay by that much.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
JMO, but I don't think a moderate overpay gets it done. I don't know any more than anyone else what Trouba's true goals are. Maybe he wants an auction for his services. Maybe he wants to pick his destination. Maybe both. But I think he wants to go the UFA route and would only stay for a really large overpay. I hope Jets are not willing to overpay by that much.
this is turning into a trouba talk. I'd rather have Barkov and Connor for 12 mil than Laine for 12 mil.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
We had quite a few games last year where we only scored one goal, and it was Laine who scored it. I think around 8 games..... that would be 16 points out of the whole season.

I don't know how to check the stats on that, but goals are definitely important.
Early March it was

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
"Please don't yell at Patrik anymore"

73b1ec07fd935885f984c852964ce6dd0f60e9889d21bc0d590d2307a229be7e.jpg

Oh no the curse of Teemu

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Interesting that we either get former Jet Hutch or Manitoba boy Reimer in net.

We need a solid outing from Helle and Bruh-Schwah to be himself.

methinks goaltending is a major issue for the Panthers this year. Man that team just can't get to the next level. Hope we wipe the floor with them and they don't make me eat my words.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Early March it was
Yes. I remember people saying that somebody other than Patrik has to remember how to score. He kept us where we were in the standings at the time. We would have made the playoffs but sometimes it’s nice to remember that he was a major part of our push to get there last year.

Let us bow our heads and remember ......

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Cmon Laine pot a couple for the team in front of the home country! give the people what they paid for!

Reactions: Larabee

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Someone tell Buff that this is the first pre-season game from 2011. Unleash the carnage on the first shift. That would give the fans there monies worth.
i still watch that with surround sound when i need to be hyped up. when mark stuart wasnt useless also!

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
This is a REALLY BIG game.

It's gonna take a full 60 minute TEAM effort to to make all the eyes of the world and Finland to believe Laine is NHL ready. (or at least really gud trade bait)

We can do it!

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
Good luck guys! I am a fan of the Wild but for sure cheer on you for these games. I actually think Laine will benefit a lot because of a bigger rink.
Big Buff is one of my favourites and I hope he also delivers.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So it appears - in another brilliant (not) move - that the games are only on TSN regional? What a friggin joke.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
I disagree. So inform me where does the money come from to pay the players. It doesn't all come from the Owners as they seem to not lose money owning a hockey team.
My season ticket payments might pay for a meal or two for their non-playing staff on a road trip.

Television and advertising/sponsorships brings in the "real money."
I'm curious, does anyone know how much a 30-second space costs for a commercial during an NHL broadcast on TSN, SN, NBC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad