Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Mathieu Perreault (3 years x $3M per year)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
We have gone from talking about how strong we are up the middle with Perreault as a very capable center, to how much fun he is having playing the wing. Wasn't he supposed to be an upgrade over Olli in the middle?

I think it's too early to move him off to the wing. Either Maurice doesn't trust him in the position that they brought him in to play, or Maurice has moved him too soon. Makes me wonder why they didn't sign Olli to another year at $2.5M and play Perreault on the wing with him. Although Lowry and Perrault both shoot left I believe.

Why would anyone have expected Perreault to play wing when we signed him.? He's looking good on that line so far. Who knows what happens when Kane comes back? There's always the possibility he returns to center at some point.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We have gone from talking about how strong we are up the middle with Perreault as a very capable center, to how much fun he is having playing the wing. Wasn't he supposed to be an upgrade over Olli in the middle?

I think it's too early to move him off to the wing. Either Maurice doesn't trust him in the position that they brought him in to play, or Maurice has moved him too soon. Makes me wonder why they didn't sign Olli to another year at $2.5M and play Perreault on the wing with him. Although Lowry and Perrault both shoot left I believe.

Or maybe the plan was to Cost Reduce the third line - which they succeeded greatly in doing - and sell it as an improvement to the team?

Moving Perreault to wing is a result of the Kane injury and the emergence of Lowry as a centre. The big question now is who plays where when everybody is healthy? Either Buff moves back to D or a good player gets wasted on the 4th line. There is bound to be another injury so maybe we never find out.
Edit: Just redid my cypherin'. D'oh! Thor gets to be the one "wasted on the 4th line".

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Moving Perreault to wing is a result of the Kane injury and the emergence of Lowry as a centre. The big question now is who plays where when everybody is healthy? Either Buff moves back to D or a good player gets wasted on the 4th line. There is bound to be another injury so maybe we never find out.

LLF
PSW
KLB

Kane would be a substantial upgrade on Thorburn.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Would Kane be a good center?

272.gif

Moving our 2nd worst defensive forward to C is just asking for trouble. You need higher hockey sense for C, not less.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
While Kane is no Bergeron he is far and away not our 2nd worst defensive forward.

Who's he better than? He is often out of position and struggles to get the puck out at times. Takes off early quite a bit. Maybe Wheeler and Halischuk would be in the same category with Kane.

Don't say PK, since that is a completely different skill set. He is a decent PKer. That is not even close to 5v5 defense.

Centers need to be able to read the play, understand defensive side of the puck, make break out passes, find openings for 2nd pass from wingers, etc. None of the things Kane would excel at. He better never play C, IMO.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
How has Perreault looked for you guys? I hated the decision to let him walk, although Karlsson has eased that loss somewhat.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How has Perreault looked for you guys? I hated the decision to let him walk, although Karlsson has eased that loss somewhat.

Over the past several games he's been fantastic. Like many of the Jets, he's had some bad luck around the goal, but he has been very effective on our third line.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Who's he better than? He is often out of position and struggles to get the puck out at times. Takes off early quite a bit. Maybe Wheeler and Halischuk would be in the same category with Kane.

Don't say PK, since that is a completely different skill set. He is a decent PKer. That is not even close to 5v5 defense.

Centers need to be able to read the play, understand defensive side of the puck, make break out passes, find openings for 2nd pass from wingers, etc. None of the things Kane would excel at. He better never play C, IMO.
I'd say he is better defensively than most. He may not do it with a ton of finesse or strict positioning, but he bull-rushes the puck away from people and consistently pushes the play to the offensive end of the ice.

I don't think that defense translates to centre, but he isn't a big time liability by any stretch.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd say he is better defensively than most. He may not do it with a ton of finesse or strict positioning, but he bull-rushes the puck away from people and consistently pushes the play to the offensive end of the ice.

I don't think that defense translates to centre, but he isn't a big time liability by any stretch.

I think Kane is underrated defensively, when you consider all of the components. However, I don't think he'd be very effective as a center because I think that requires a different temperament and skill set.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Perrault by far one of the best pickups.

A few times Kane was hovering at the blue line with the intent of being D-ish responsible, but being stationary more or less. I wish he was circling back and forth a little deeper, because last night he could have stopped(or been a factor) a play or two extra last night when the Jets were getting cycled. (wanted to post somewhere else but the response was triggered here)

Last edited:

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Not to be too picky, but I was kind of expecting to see people talking about Perrault in here.

So... I think Perrault is better defensively than Kane

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Perreault has been very good so far, every time he gets the puck he is making something happen, the hockey sense and skill on that guy is just unreal. Very underrated player. Things arent going his way right now but every time he touches the puck, i get excited cuz i know something good will more than likely come of it. He's also very good on the power play also. Jets PP might not be doing too well percentage wise but compared to last season, the PP is definitely get more chances, there are times when we have the puck in the opponents zone the entire 2 minutes and don't score. Lots of that is due to perreault and his ability to just see the ice so well.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Watching Perreault lately has left me scratching my head. How could he have gone - what was it - 20 games before a goal? This guy has serious talent. He really turned around our abysmal power play. That second goal on Luongo was a serious snipe. Luongo has a good glove and has a clear look at the shot - Perreault still beats him clean. How can 'confidence' explain this?

Great pickup, Chevy. I was a doubter, but no longer.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
So you think anyone will notice if Chevy carefully changes the 3 years to 5 years on Perreault's contract?

images

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
so him scoring 4 goals last night didn't change your mind? colour me flabbergasted.

He's a ****ing scrub who can't even score 5 goals... Screwed Gail over hard. :sarcasm:

Watching Perreault lately has left me scratching my head. How could he have gone - what was it - 20 games before a goal? This guy has serious talent. He really turned around our abysmal power play. That second goal on Luongo was a serious snipe. Luongo has a good glove and has a clear look at the shot - Perreault still beats him clean. How can 'confidence' explain this?

I imagine the chemistry and knowing the flow of the team helps knowing when you should make riskier plays to try for offense. You can't say you don't know the difference between when you do things with confidence vs. no confidence? It gives you energy and that extra step when you're feeling good about yourself and how you're playing.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I am gonna put most of it on puck luck. MP had a teeny tiny shooting percentage and it is climbing back to where it should be. Incredibly, his current shooting percentage (15.8) is below his career average (16.9). That is crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad