Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Mathieu Perreault (3 years x $3M per year)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Readers Digest in RED:

Waiting for a logical rebuttal from those who are saying that this isn't a big step up from Jokinen. *crickets* :D

Ahhhh, so that's what those fancy stats mean..... Perrault is better than Olli. Figured so.

;)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Looking at various Jets and where they were drafted (Buff 245th & Enstrom 239th!) and noticed Perreault wasn't taken until late in the 6th @ 177. Wondering why I went looking for his old stats. His draft year numbers look pretty good: 62 games, 18 goals, 34 assists, 52 points. Those look like 2nd rd numbers to me. I couldn't find any info at all prior to his draft year. Could lack of data have had such a large effect on his draft position or was it more likely the 'size' thing? Maybe both, the scouts hadn't noticed him till late? Does anybody have any idea where he played prior to his 1st year in the Q? Any possible black mark there to explain his late draft?

BTW, his 1st after draft year he exploded to 1st rd +1 numbers. He leveled off in D+2. For those who still look at +/- he has been a plus in every year, at every level and with every team. He had a -3 in 1 half season with Washington. I think that is pretty unusual.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Looking at various Jets and where they were drafted (Buff 245th & Enstrom 239th!) and noticed Perreault wasn't taken until late in the 6th @ 177. Wondering why I went looking for his old stats. His draft year numbers look pretty good: 62 games, 18 goals, 34 assists, 52 points. Those look like 2nd rd numbers to me. I couldn't find any info at all prior to his draft year. Could lack of data have had such a large effect on his draft position or was it more likely the 'size' thing? Maybe both, the scouts hadn't noticed him till late? Does anybody have any idea where he played prior to his 1st year in the Q? Any possible black mark there to explain his late draft?

BTW, his 1st after draft year he exploded to 1st rd +1 numbers. He leveled off in D+2. For those who still look at +/- he has been a plus in every year, at every level and with every team. He had a -3 in 1 half season with Washington. I think that is pretty unusual.

It looks like he was playing AAA in Quebec prior to his draft year. Most sites likely won't include those stats in their bios.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8473618

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Probably a combination of many things. For example he was approx the size of Ehlers but had 1/2 the offensive production. Appears to be a bit of a late plummer. Nice addition at a good price.

Well size is my first guess. As near as I can tell he was 5'10", 175 at that time. He now is listed as 5'10", 185 which is adequate.

The thing is that I was impressed with his draft year production. Very high for 6th round even undersized.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Seen a couple of beauty saucer passes already. I can see him working with Kane. He looks to pass it seems.

djc

Jul 12, 2011
Wonder how Mathiew Perreault compares to Alexander Burmistrov?

If it's Ladd and Little with Frolik, Wheeler and Schiefele with Byfuglien then if Kane and Perreault are a forward pairing, who is the right wing? I am assuming it has to be a player who goes to the corners and the front of the net. Ladd does it (really good at deflecting pucks), Byfuglien, well is Buff; so who amoung the remaining players could fill that role? I see people have put O'Dell on this line but not sure that is his game.

I guess it depends on whether Kane and Perreault develop some chemistry along the lines of Kane and Burmistrov.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Wonder how Mathiew Perreault compares to Alexander Burmistrov?

If it's Ladd and Little with Frolik, Wheeler and Schiefele with Byfuglien then if Kane and Perreault are a forward pairing, who is the right wing? I am assuming it has to be a player who goes to the corners and the front of the net. Ladd does it (really good at deflecting pucks), Byfuglien, well is Buff; so who amoung the remaining players could fill that role? I see people have put O'Dell on this line but not sure that is his game.

I guess it depends on whether Kane and Perreault develop some chemistry along the lines of Kane and Burmistrov.

They need to try Weeler-Schief-Kane first.

Perreault and Buff might work together.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
haha this thread is awesome

thanks guys i'm learning a lot more about MP

i am excited

edit: So MP and Kane on the same line? He seems similar to Fro, so if they were on diff lines that would be best balance wise, non?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

i am excited

edit: So MP and Kane on the same line? He seems similar to Fro, so if they were on diff lines that would be best balance wise, non?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/mathieu_perreault/

ps I really want to see kane-perreault-frolik. not at all sold on byfuglien playing with perrault or scheifele, or having him play LW. Play him with Ladd & Little.

Ladd - Little - Byfuglien
Galiardi / O'Dell /Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Kane - Perrault - Frolic

Last edited:

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow

i am excited

very different players - MP is an elite 5v5 scorer (at least vs softer comp) where Fro is a decent scorer/good posession guy/great defensively

Fro/Burmi type of player would make a perfect compliment to a Kane/Perrault pairing much like it did when they had Kane/Scheifs/Fro together for 6-7 games last season

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

I know this is echoing what has already been said but he seems like a very capable centre

very different players - MP is an elite 5v5 scorer (at least vs softer comp) where Fro is a decent scorer/good posession guy/great defensively

Fro/Burmi type of player would make a perfect compliment to a Kane/Perrault pairing much like it did when they had Kane/Scheifs/Fro together for 6-7 games last season

Thanks max, this give me more insight, for some reason in my head I had MP as a fro type player than than Kane type

When I checked out MP highlights he was doing a lot of play making set up similar to fro, seems very versatile

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
We have gone from talking about how strong we are up the middle with Perreault as a very capable center, to how much fun he is having playing the wing. Wasn't he supposed to be an upgrade over Olli in the middle?

I think it's too early to move him off to the wing. Either Maurice doesn't trust him in the position that they brought him in to play, or Maurice has moved him too soon. Makes me wonder why they didn't sign Olli to another year at $2.5M and play Perreault on the wing with him. Although Lowry and Perrault both shoot left I believe.

Or maybe the plan was to Cost Reduce the third line - which they succeeded greatly in doing - and sell it as an improvement to the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad