Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Eric O'Dell to a 1 year 2 way contract

misterb

Mar 17, 2012
Winnipeg
Actually he hasn't earned a 1 way deal...he was a late season call up who was alright but did nothing in the way of earning himself a spot. :dunno:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His quickness is more than sufficient. Name 9 forwards on the team that are better than O'Dell.

Hard to say as he was the most sheltered forward on the team last year. Anyways 1way or 2 way it doesn't matter if he plays well he will get his minutes. It seems clear to me that with all the contracts lately management is going to let O'Dell, Klingberg, Albert and Cormier duke it out for the final few spots. I like O'Dell's chances.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
YWG I'm more of the opinion that it's O'dell saying 'give me a one year chance to make it in the show' or he will move on and try somewhere else if need be.

I'm more and more siding with Holden on this one. For a team that preaches draft and develop, and for a player who has done exactly that, this isn't the "reward" I was envisioning. Guess the same could be said with Hutch's deal...IMO.
FWIW I like O'Dell and what he brings so I was hoping the team would throw more of a 'bone' so to speak. So there's my prejudice.

At the same time it does go against the 'loyal to a fault' ideal which is good to see but I think they've got it backwards. I would rather see the team be 'loyal to a fault' to their prospects who have done their time, rather than throw term at guys like Clitsome, Thorburn, Slater and even Stuart to some extent. I've no problem throwing term at a 'bottom' player if you plan to trade and give a developed prospect a chance given that he can fill a role at least equally as well. That's how I envision a 'draft and develop' team but I have yet to see that m.o. out of management. It's like the team is finally open to the idea of giving a developed prospect a chance but it's a little late in the game. If this is Chevy's idea at building depth I don't like doing that with older prospects or they'll take their talents elsewhere. I think they're on the right path, only with what we had in the system there will be a bit of a disconnect for a while to get that to work until we can stockpile a greater number of developing prospects.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with O'dell after this year. Have to wait and see, but I see a trend here...

I agree with you here. I didn't like that we lost Redmond this year. I wouldn't like if we lost O'dell next year as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad