Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Eric O'Dell to a 1 year 2 way contract

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Does O'Dell have to clear waivers to start the season with the Ice Caps while someone -Ehlers? - gets a 9-game look?

Yes.

We don't have any "NHL" forwards that are waiver exempt except Scheifele. 12 forwards if you include Frolik. So that means if we pick someone up via free agency or trade and want to have Ehlers for a trial (Morrissey is more likely) we would have to probably expose someone to waivers.

What would be ideal is a waiver exempt player that management has penned in or the roster but isn't an impact player gets sent down to make room for Ehlers. Lipon, Lowry, etc..

I don't see them sending down Trouba or Scheifele to give Ehlers or Morrissey a trial.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

O'Dell could sit in the press box. He doesn't necessarily have to go on waivers. We also don't know if everyone comes out of camp healthy and how many players are on injured reserve.

Last edited:

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
Only 20 dress. 23 players can be with the big club. It's not really an issue if they want to do it.

Of course you could always waive Thorburn :sarcasm:

I guess that means if you include Frolik, we are full up now. O'Dell and Klingberg aren't showing up on the big-league roster yet, but Hutch is. Anyways, by my count, that makes 23 . . . but wait . . O'Neill has a two way deal as well. He isn't on the roster yet either. Does that mean waivers or trade coming for sure?

edit: . . . or injury?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
O'Dell has paid his dues and imo did just enough in his trial last year to warrant a look in our top 9 provided that we don't sign a Winnick (sp).

I am hopeful that he now has a good understanding of what he needs to do to carve out a niche for himself at the NHL level. The dudes a hard worker, tenacious and has a nice touch around the net. If he gets a tad quicker and starts to shoot more he could be a good component to our third line.

I would also like to see Klingberg force one of our fourth liners into the press box.

If we can develop a couple cheap depth players from those two it would go along way to helping this club out.

Potential lineup:

LLF
BSW
Kane - Perrault - O'Dell
Thangradi-Slater- Thorborne (yuck)

Klingberg - Peluso

Enstrom - Bogo
Clitsome - Trouba
Stuart - Postma

Pardy

As of now it looks like we are going with 14 forwards and 7 defenseman.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes.

We don't have any "NHL" forwards that are waiver exempt. 12 forwards if you include Frolik. So that means if we pick someone up via free agency or trade and want to have Ehlers for a trial (Morrissey is more likely) we would have to probably expose someone to waivers.

What would be ideal is a waiver exempt player that management has penned in or the roster but isn't an impact player gets sent down to make room for Ehlers. Lipon, Lowry, etc..

I don't see them sending down Trouba or Scheifele to give Ehlers or Morrissey a trial.

Barring a Kane deal, our LW is pretty full so I don't see management keeping Ehelers around for a trial this year. He likely gets the Morrissey treatment. Long look in camp but sent down.

Morrissey is more interesting. If he makes the team someone will have to be waived to make room barring injuires. I wonder if we see a Clitsome deal if he proves ready.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Barring a Kane deal, our LW is pretty full so I don't see management keeping Ehelers around for a trial this year. He likely gets the Morrissey treatment. Long look in camp but sent

Ehlers has played quite a bit of RW though.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
A deal or waiver is coming and I would suggest the former. I don't think any of the guys that we put on waivers would go through. I don't think Chevy is in the habit of signing players to let someone snatch them up. He prefers to do the snatching.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers has played quite a bit of RW though.

Good point, he probably could slide in behind Frolik and Wheeler on the third line. I guess it depends on if we bring in someone to fill that spot before camp.

Does anyone know what the prognosis is on Slater's surgery as that could also have an impact on what happens this fall? If Slater isn't ready to go O'Dell could slide into his spot allowing Ehlers a trial run.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Well, to be fair, that's probably how the Thorburn negotiation went...

"- Hi, Kevin, thanks for showing interest in me the upcoming season, even though my play really has dropped off and we're trying to get younger. I like that you appreciate what I do in the locker room! So, since I'm just a stop gap and fill in, I assume that you want me at league minimum?
- What? Chris, I want you for three years, $1M per!
- $1M? Really? I don't think I deserve that... And for three years? I'm not that young you know.
- Okay, fine. Let's say $1.1M, still three years.
- I... I'm not sure I understand you. I'm telling you that I'm willing to play for league minimum, one year at the time! I love playing with this team, and I don't want to stand in the way of some up and coming kid! Besides, at this stage in my career, I'm really not worth over $1M per year. You know that I'm a heart and soul player, does it really surprise you that I'd do anything, even step aside, to help the team?
- Thank you, Chris. I'll fax over the papers so that your agent can sign your brand new 3 year, $1.2M AAV for you."

Or the more likely scenario...

Despite what most of us think, Maurice actually likes the guy and wanted Chevy to re-sign him. Everyone forgets that Maurice was originally just brought in as an interim to evaluate our group.

He's got a ****** Corsi, this we all know. But my guess is that didn't sway our coach's opinion on him.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
A deal or waiver is coming and I would suggest the former. I don't think any of the guys that we put on waivers would go through. I don't think Chevy is in the habit of signing players to let someone snatch them up. He prefers to do the snatching.

More players than ever need waivers this year. Cormier (who has cleared previously), but you have to add O`Neil, Klingberg, Hutchinson, O`Dell, and Chiarot this year.

AndersUlfBobby

Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe O'Dell becomes a group 6 UFA next summer if he doesn't play 50 games in the NHL this year. Jets need to give him a fair look this year otherwise he'll be following Redmond out of the organization where the pastures are greener.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Potential lineup:

LLF
BSW
Kane - Perrault - O'Dell
Thangradi-Slater- Thorborne (yuck)

Klingberg - Peluso

Enstrom - Bogo
Clitsome - Trouba
Stuart - Postma

Pardy

As of now it looks like we are going with 14 forwards and 7 defenseman.

if O'Dell can handle himself in the faceoff circle, i'd like to have his instead of Jimmy S. If Ehlers is able to play RW (unlikely) i'd love to see him on that 3rd line. *droolz*

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Only 20 dress. 23 players can be with the big club. It's not really an issue if they want to do it.

Of course you could always waive Thorburn :sarcasm:

Once Frolic signs we will have 21 contracts. It is pretty much a given that Morrisey will get a nine game look. That is 22. If they want to give Ehlers a look too, then O'Dell is squeezed out of the picture thanks to Thornnose.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Once Frolic signs we will have 21 contracts. It is pretty much a given that Morrisey will get a nine game look. That is 22. If they want to give Ehlers a look too, then O'Dell is squeezed out of the picture thanks to Thornnose.

Thorburn would clear waivers no problem - with his one-way, 3-year contract? Or did we give him a full NMC ?

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Am I the only one who thinks that ehlers playing this year is in the incredibly slim to none category? Just doesn't fit our M.O. which isn't necessarily a problem in this case.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Am I the only one who thinks that ehlers playing this year is in the incredibly slim to none category? Just doesn't fit our M.O. which isn't necessarily a problem in this case.

I think he'll get a look, and there's always the chance that he forces his way in, but I think he'll end up back in Halifax to be the 'go to' guy next hear, + get another shot at the WJ's.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg

I would guess that most of us are with you actually. It's just that at this time of year, hope springs eternal. If he makes it, we know that he forced his way in. It's the Jet way.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sigh, yet another good prospect Jets will drive away. Cheap cheap cheap. When you already don't have a great location, are a losing team, have shown no commitment to winning and now you again don't show any loyalty to guys who've earned more why in the hell would anyone in their right mind ever come to Winnipeg?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe O'Dell becomes a group 6 UFA next summer if he doesn't play 50 games in the NHL this year. Jets need to give him a fair look this year otherwise he'll be following Redmond out of the organization where the pastures are greener.

Yes he needs 50 more games.

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
A one year 'show me' deal, I'm assuming. Good for him, and here's to hoping he plays his way into something bigger this year. Liked what I saw last year. :nod:

Sigh, yet another good prospect Jets will drive away. Cheap cheap cheap. When you already don't have a great location, are a losing team, have shown no commitment to winning and now you again don't show any loyalty to guys who've earned more why in the hell would anyone in their right mind ever come to Winnipeg?

YWG I'm more of the opinion that it's O'dell saying 'give me a one year chance to make it in the show' or he will move on and try somewhere else if need be.

I'm more and more siding with Holden on this one. For a team that preaches draft and develop, and for a player who has done exactly that, this isn't the "reward" I was envisioning. Guess the same could be said with Hutch's deal...IMO.
FWIW I like O'Dell and what he brings so I was hoping the team would throw more of a 'bone' so to speak. So there's my prejudice.

At the same time it does go against the 'loyal to a fault' ideal which is good to see but I think they've got it backwards. I would rather see the team be 'loyal to a fault' to their prospects who have done their time, rather than throw term at guys like Clitsome, Thorburn, Slater and even Stuart to some extent. I've no problem throwing term at a 'bottom' player if you plan to trade and give a developed prospect a chance given that he can fill a role at least equally as well. That's how I envision a 'draft and develop' team but I have yet to see that m.o. out of management. It's like the team is finally open to the idea of giving a developed prospect a chance but it's a little late in the game. If this is Chevy's idea at building depth I don't like doing that with older prospects or they'll take their talents elsewhere. I think they're on the right path, only with what we had in the system there will be a bit of a disconnect for a while to get that to work until we can stockpile a greater number of developing prospects.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with O'dell after this year. Have to wait and see, but I see a trend here...

misterb

Mar 17, 2012
Winnipeg

What did you want the Jets to do exactly sign him for 5 years?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What did you want the Jets to do exactly sign him for 5 years?

Was that what I said? I mean really I have strong enough unpopular opinions already you don't need to try to put words in my mouth. O'Dell has more than earned a one-way deal. He deserved it. Jets have shown ZERO loyalty. This would be a good start (they did give Postma a one-way before he established himself for 500K less that his QO, and I was on board, good job. otherwise nothing.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad