Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Eric O'Dell to a 1 year 2 way contract

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
A one year 'show me' deal, I'm assuming. Good for him, and here's to hoping he plays his way into something bigger this year. Liked what I saw last year. :nod:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Excellent. Let's hope he can bring some good things to our 3rd and 4th line. I'd love to see him and Klingberg push Thorburn out of the lineup.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
There is some risk to this 1 yr signing......FYI ..O Dell turns 25 this June 2015...... which means he will become a group VI UFA next year if he plays less than 50 NHL games this year. He has to play in 80 career NHL games to become ineligible for group VI Free agency.. I think he will earn those 50 games plus of ice time this year, unless he runs into injury problems. I would hate to lose another good young prospect again to groip VI free agency (Zach Redmond)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I am still hopeful that some of his scoring touch could carry over - particularly if he lands in what should be a skilled top nine.

Hope to see him on the third line with Kane and Perrault. Especially as it's either him or Tangradi, Peluso, Slater, Sniper or Klingberg.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
praying he works with a power skating coach to increase his speed. a slight increase and he becomes a pretty effective 3rd line centre. he's not Jason Allison slow, but dude is below NHL average.
otherwise, i'm happy for him. hope he gets a fair shake and can somehow relegate Thorbum and Slater to 4th line/press box status. but not likely.

Dano64

Jul 17, 2010
Have I missed something here??

O'Dell just signed a 1 year 2-way contract.

This tells me he is not really in the Jets plans this year.
If he was he would have signed a 1 way contract.
Just a fill in. I don't understand why people are putting him on the 3rd line.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

not sure what your expectations are.
he was in the minors for most of last year. you want him to get $1 mil/year and guaranteed money?
it's a bridge contract. "show us what you can do and if you can do."

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Why wouldn't he be in their plans? If he agreed to a 2-way, should Chevy have handed him a one-way contract anyway?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Meh. Hutchinson was signed to a similar contract, and Chevy has stated that he will be given the chance to compete for a backup :)madfire) role this upcoming year.

Also, we really don't have anyone else to play on our third line. He is the only player with offensive upside, and we are going to a system where we need three lines that can score. Hence, we believe that a natural producer will be on our third line.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

It's 2 way because it can be. When you go to the store do you say? "don't bother charging me the sale price, I want to pay full price because I really like this stuff"

The reality is O'Dell is likely to be claimed on waivers if he's sent down this year.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Why wouldn't he be in their plans? If he agreed to a 2-way, should Chevy have handed him a one-way contract anyway?

Well, to be fair, that's probably how the Thorburn negotiation went...

"- Hi, Kevin, thanks for showing interest in me the upcoming season, even though my play really has dropped off and we're trying to get younger. I like that you appreciate what I do in the locker room! So, since I'm just a stop gap and fill in, I assume that you want me at league minimum?
- What? Chris, I want you for three years, $1M per!
- $1M? Really? I don't think I deserve that... And for three years? I'm not that young you know.
- Okay, fine. Let's say $1.1M, still three years.
- I... I'm not sure I understand you. I'm telling you that I'm willing to play for league minimum, one year at the time! I love playing with this team, and I don't want to stand in the way of some up and coming kid! Besides, at this stage in my career, I'm really not worth over $1M per year. You know that I'm a heart and soul player, does it really surprise you that I'd do anything, even step aside, to help the team?
- Thank you, Chris. I'll fax over the papers so that your agent can sign your brand new 3 year, $1.2M AAV for you."

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
Does O'Dell have to clear waivers to start the season with the Ice Caps while someone -Ehlers? - gets a 9-game look?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I actually like that this is a two way, it's extremely unlikely Chevy would try pushing him through waivers when players like James Wright get claimed. It just means players are likely to get a 2 way even though they might have a roster spot. I'm looking at you Hutchinson.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Does O'Dell have to clear waivers to start the season with the Ice Caps while someone -Ehlers? - gets a 9-game look?

Only 20 dress. 23 players can be with the big club. It's not really an issue if they want to do it.

Of course you could always waive Thorburn :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad