Rumor: Jets Shopping Burmi

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
He is pretty useless and overpaid. Has no real trade value. Makes any NHL team worse when he is on the ice. When he gets knocked down, he lies on the ice for a three to five count looking around for a ref to see if someone is getting a penalty for him having gotten knocked down, before he decides to get up and get back in the play. Perhaps he is channeling his inner soccer player acting skills. This rumor/ report was in early November. My guess is that there were absolutely zero bites on this shopping expedition. Perhaps they should have tried ebay.

Burmi isn't going anywhere until the 28th, my guess the Moose will soon have a new 3rd line centre!

PS trade him....good one!:laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Back when this happened with Noel, it seemed plausible that a 21 year old Russian and a mercurial Canadian head coach were just not communicating, but when I heard Burmi pull the same thing with Maurice? No dice, comrade...

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
He's worthless. He can't see anything past a 5 ft circumference around him on or off the ice.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Have said this all along, will repeat myself once again; there are lots of 12-year-old kids in Winnipeg that play a more disciplined style of hockey than Burmistrov. His game is all sizzle - no meat, and many here were wowed by the sizzle part and were unable to spot the lack of any structure to his play. Amazing how quiet most of them have since become on the topic. Some people here actually seriously referred to this guy as "Datsyuk-lite" at one point in time. LOL

:laugh:

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
He's such a frustrating player. By now we've seen so much of him and still don't know what makes him tick. I loved him that first year when the Jets came back. But then he went away from the hard hitting forechecking game. The feud with Noel and subsequent defection to the KHL was frustrating.

I was hoping when he came back that he would have his head screwed on properly. I believe his attitude has improved. He showed a glimmer of his potential tail end of last year. But he's back to his wandering ways again this year.

At this point, I feel that he is uncoachable. At least not with this organization. He needs to listen to his coaches and not follow his own instincts. They have not served him well and he should be smart enough to realize that. His potential is as a penalty killer and checking line with scoring potential. Too bad he has virtually no trade value.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
I think he'd be a fit with St. Louis. I'm surprised they haven't made a move for him yet.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Have said this all along, will repeat myself once again; there are lots of 12-year-old kids in Winnipeg that play a more disciplined style of hockey than Burmistrov. His game is all sizzle - no meat, and many here were wowed by the sizzle part and were unable to spot the lack of any structure to his play. Amazing how quiet most of them have since become on the topic. Some people here actually seriously referred to this guy as "Datsyuk-lite" at one point in time. LOL

:laugh:

Well if hindsight was 20/20.....never mind there were a couple guys who noticed Burmi's shortcomings right away and weren't wowed by his 'fancy'' skating, can't remember the detractors names though, something like ump asek and ip something!:D

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Well if hindsight was 20/20.....never mind there were a couple guys who noticed Burmi's shortcomings right away and weren't wowed by his 'fancy'' skating, can't remember the detractors names though, something like ump asek and ip something!:D

When you aren't wowed by anyone it's easy to be right when someone turns out to be less than promised ;)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
When you aren't wowed by anyone it's easy to be right when someone turns out to be less than promised ;)

Come on man, you know Laine, Ehlers, Petan, Trouba and Morrissey never made it to my stink list!:D

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
Didn't he do good playing with Evander Kane? Just convince Tim Murray that Kane needs Burmi to succeed and trade him for Mccabe.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you can't trade him then just waive him. It's time for both parties to move on imo. Maybe he figures things out with another org but the Jets should stop wasting time on him at this point.

Yup. The time has come. I had hoped he would pick up where he left off last year. He has not. He has had enough opportunity.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
easily outperforming burmi how exactly? they are also the same age... rookie status doesn't mean much when you're almost 25

Certainly does. This is his first year of pro hockey. Its not like he had played 4 years in the AHL before becoming an NHL rookie. 24 YO status doesn't mean much when you are a rookie pro.

In a 4th line role Burmi/Tanev may be a saw-off. But Tanev is improving. Burmi is not.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why bother waiving him...just let him sit in the press box. No cap concerns and he is a good stop gap in case of injuries....

Because in the PB he is eating Staffords popcorn. :laugh:

If we could get rid of Stafford and Thor I would keep Burmi as 13th man. He can play any F position and is at least reasonably safe defensively so not a huge risk to put in.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I had to check the article itself to make sure this wasn't written 3+ years ago, when Noel and Burmi were saying the exact same things.

I'm pretty sure his NHL days are done. That's two coaches with very different styles that can't communicate with him.

Exactly what I thought. Appears to be uncoachable.

I think he'd be a fit with St. Louis. I'm surprised they haven't made a move for him yet.

If they want him, they'll just wait for him to hit the waiver wire.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00