Rumor: Jets Shopping Burmi

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Burmi has been bad, but your depiction of him faking injuries, etc. is just plain false. He actually plays a pretty hard and physical game. I generally have no problem with his effort. His problem is that he hasn't figured out how to play the game effectively when he has the puck.

In an interview yesterday a reporter mentioned to Maurice that Burmistrov was a "frustrated" hockey player. I don't think Maurice liked that one bit, and is probably steaming that Burmi shared his frustration with the media.

I just hope that Chevy moves Burmi and Stafford before he needs to send Dano or Copp or Tanev to the Moose. It would be very unfair for Burmi and Stafford to be earning an NHL paycheque while players who have been better are back in the minors.

If you can't trade him then just waive him. It's time for both parties to move on imo. Maybe he figures things out with another org but the Jets should stop wasting time on him at this point.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
he is still better than thor and tanev. absolute joke that those guys are playing over him

feel bad for burmi

Not sure that's true, especially on the Tanev case. Burmi and Thor are interchangeable really, but Burmi's astonishing lack of self-awareness is enough to sit him over Thor for me. Neither player will be playing when the team is healthy again anyway.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Not sure that's true, especially on the Tanev case. Burmi and Thor are interchangeable really, but Burmi's astonishing lack of self-awareness is enough to sit him over Thor for me. Neither player will be playing when the team is healthy again anyway.

were does lack of self awareness come from? that one time he botched a dump in then went off for a change that cost the team a goal?

his defensive awareness is actually really good. it's his offense that is pretty terrible given how skilled he is. but he is a fine player to have on the 4th line. he is not worse than thor or tanev in any way.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...ncerned-about-future-with-jets-407510076.html

At some point or another you just gotta figure **** out on your own.

I had to check the article itself to make sure this wasn't written 3+ years ago, when Noel and Burmi were saying the exact same things.

I'm pretty sure his NHL days are done. That's two coaches with very different styles that can't communicate with him.

If you can't trade him then just waive him. It's time for both parties to move on imo. Maybe he figures things out with another org but the Jets should stop wasting time on him at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. He's not living up to his potential here, and obviously isn't listening to the coaches, or doesn't understand at a fundamental level what's being asked of him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
were does lack of self awareness come from? that one time he botched a dump in then went off for a change that cost the team a goal?

his defensive awareness is actually really good. it's his offense that is pretty terrible given how skilled he is. but he is a fine player to have on the 4th line. he is not worse than thor or tanev in any way.

Read Guerzy's quotes from Burmie. The guy still doesn't understand why he's not getting into the lineup. He has skills but doesn't seem to have the toolbox to get things out of it.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
were does lack of self awareness come from?

"You know, I feel great, working hard — watching games," said Burmistrov, who has just two assists in 23 games this year and is a minus-six. "It’s tough, tough for me because I do not know why I’m not playing, you know. I never have a conversation with the coach, so he never tell me why I’m not playing."

Right there. From Burmi himself.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Read Guerzy's quotes from Burmie. The guy still doesn't understand why he's not getting into the lineup. He has skills but doesn't seem to have the toolbox to get things out of it.

i get it but the point is he's still better than thor and tanev who are regularly getting into the lineup.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Burmi has been bad, but your depiction of him faking injuries, etc. is just plain false. .

I didn't say he is faking injury. I said acting skills, as in creating drama / dramatic effect. But yes he stays down too often, looking around for a penalty probably. I can't think of any other reason why he would take him self out of the play for so long for nothing. But with him who knows what's going on in his head.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I had to check the article itself to make sure this wasn't written 3+ years ago, when Noel and Burmi were saying the exact same things.

I'm pretty sure his NHL days are done. That's two coaches with very different styles that can't communicate with him.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. He's not living up to his potential here, and obviously isn't listening to the coaches, or doesn't understand at a fundamental level what's being asked of him.

I did a double take myself. Maurice's experience in Russia didn't seem to make a difference this kid. I think it's fully on Burmie at this point.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
easily outperforming burmi how exactly? they are also the same age... rookie status doesn't mean much when you're almost 25

Experience is experience, regardless of age.

4 years of NHL experience, and one season in the KHL eliminates any notion that Burmi is learning, and needs time to adapt. He is what he is, and with that much time in the NHL, he still struggles with the exact same issues he did back in 2011.

Tanev has 30 games of pro, and is still learning the NHL game. Age has nothing to do with experience, and if Tanev is already performing at a more consistent level than Burmi today, I expect he will be the much better player 2 and 3 years playing in the NHL.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
i get it but the point is he's still better than thor and tanev who are regularly getting into the lineup.

How is he better than Thor and Tanev? He's definitely not better than Tanev right now, especially at the role he would have to play to replace Tanev. Burmi does the same stuff as Thor right now, but Thor is fine with playing any minutes at all, and Burmi thinks he's doing everything well and has no idea why he's not playing. I'd rather put Thor in the lineup at that point, given the ice time they'd be getting.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

But he is not.

Hell, Thor kills penalties as well as Burmi, he fights, and he he scores goals time to time.

I wouldn't take either out for Burmi.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
easily outperforming burmi how exactly? they are also the same age... rookie status doesn't mean much when you're almost 25

Hah, it does when you're 35 games into your career playing against the best players in the world. Gimme a break.

Tanev and Burmi are very different players. Tanev brings things other than scoring that Burmi just does not have. Every time you see Tanev get some ice, he seems to be busting his butt off hustling. He only seems to have a high gear. He can be that 4th line pest. I don't think he could play a top 6 forward role because he's just burning rubber every second he's on the ice. Burmi just doesn't seem to have any of that.

Even Thor pulls out more tools from the tool box than Burmi does. He can fight, which Burmi's not going to do. He scores those nasty greasy goals, meanwhile Burmi is constantly trying to make 4 moves and score the pretty goal but getting stripped of the puck or just losing it. Thor's better on the PK. There's a reason Thor has 700+ games and Burmi won't have half of those in his career. Unless he becomes roster fodder in Las Vegas, he's done after Winnipeg waives him which I can see happening before the freeze on Monday.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

What exactly does Burmi do better than Thor or Tanev? Other than skate aimlessly around the rink with the puck, seemingly unaware he has teammates?

He's useless and has been for some time, Tanev at the very least still hasn't reached his ceiling and he's already every bit as effective as Burmi and then some.

I'd sit Burmi just on the merit of how unbelievably obtuse he Is.

TheRocketFlash

Feb 17, 2010
Below the Border
Once Armia and Matthias come back, I'd like to waive (or trade) Burmi and use our young AHL guys for depth in case of injuries. Move Stafford and have Thor sit in the PB..

We know what Burmi is and will be at this point - and it's nothing more than a 4th line NHL player. NOT better than Tanev.

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
Why bother waiving him...just let him sit in the press box. No cap concerns and he is a good stop gap in case of injuries....

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
he might be decent on a line with Yakupov and another russian that hasn't quite developed the NA game.

I think he goes to Montreal. They have a pretty good history with Russian players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad