Rumor: Jets Shopping Burmi

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well if hindsight was 20/20.....never mind there were a couple guys who noticed Burmi's shortcomings right away and weren't wowed by his 'fancy'' skating, can't remember the detractors names though, something like ump asek and ip something!:D

ump asek is solid. Don't pay too much attention to that ip something guy though. He hates everybody! :laugh: jk sip.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Burmistrov is Rob Schremp V2.0

There never was any "promise" to his game. He is an all-skills/ no structure player. That is the freakin' point.

At least initially there was the possibility that he would be coachable. Final nail in coffin.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
The fact he's utterly ineffective now doesn't change that he was effective the first go round. Maybe those of us who saw his effectiveness previously are 'quiet' now because we are objective enough to see he's been terrible for 1.5 seasons now. Open mindedness is a virtue that unfortunately is in short supply.

Oh and add me to the list that thought that quote was from stint #1. Sheesh...

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The fact he's utterly ineffective now doesn't change that he was effective the first go round. Maybe those of us who saw his effectiveness previously are 'quiet' now because we are objective enough to see he's been terrible for 1.5 seasons now. Open mindedness is a virtue that unfortunately is in short supply.

I liked his first stint. I questioned the interaction with Noel. I didn't like the fact that he left for the KHL, but that was his right as an RFA. I disliked the beginning of last year, but liked the way he ended the last season.

With his play this year, and the latest quote from him that's eerily similar to his quote about Noel: I think I'm fairly done with him as a player.

There may be some that had a certain disdain for him during his whole tenure here, but I do think there are more that were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Most of the doubt is removed for me now.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: I went and double checked the date. I'm pretty sure it was word for word. :laugh:

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I liked his first stint. I questioned the interaction with Noel. I didn't like the fact that he left for the KHL, but that was his right as an RFA. I disliked the beginning of last year, but liked the way he ended the last season.

With his play this year, and the latest quote from him that's eerily similar to his quote about Noel: I think I'm fairly done with him as a player.

There may be some that had a certain disdain for him during his whole tenure here, but I do think there are more that were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Most of the doubt is removed for me now.

Bang on. First years were good. Closed out last year fine. This year utterly horrible. Recent comments display a complete lack of understanding as to how bad his on ice results have been.

He doesn't know why he's sitting? Is his math worse than his English?
-his offensive numbers are horrible
-perhaps the worst face-off man in the NHL
-he's been provided a top role on the PK, but it's the worst in the NHL
-out of 330 NHL forwards playing 22 or more games he's 302nd in 5x5 SAT%, putting up worse #'s than many in their rookie years

Burmistrov should simply own up to the fact he's not playing well. Is it possible for anyone to be this non self aware?

I've been one of his biggest defenders over the years & I'm sick of eating crow. If he can't even own up to his poor play, how can it be improved? These comments over the past 2 days are only to his detriment. In my mind he's now even further back on the depth chart which I didn't think possible.

Last edited:

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

Count me into this category as well. Although i never had any faith that he'd be able to replace Froliks offense, I thought he might be able to replace his defense. He hasn't come close.

I don't think he's great but I still have him ahead of Tanev and Thorburn, particularly on the PK. That said, he's nowhere near good enough to be griping to reporters about ice time and so I won't be sad to see him go..

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
always was a Burmi fan and hoped for more..but..this is enough....not from what he said so much as his play. He has been bad....we just have reached the end with him.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I'm thinking he was jinxed in his second year when a "Burmi is my favorite jet" (or something along those lines) thread was created. I even commented saying he was my favorite jet to watch. His play seemed to fall off a cliff after that.

I think his career is over in the NHL. To late for him to improve his play at this point.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No clue how someone so young and with so much talent can regress so much. Someone somewhere really messed up with this kid.

Or maybe he was never able to adapt to being an effective NHLer. I don't know if I would lay the blame anywhere other than with the player. Rushing him in as an 18 y/o didn't help but a lot of young players around him are excelling. On the surface it would seem he has enough talent to do the same.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
It's over. Even I hope they waive him when Armia and Matthias are back. And you know how much love I have for Burmi.

I think he will get picked up though. There is gonna be someone in the league that will take a flyer on a free former top-10 pick. Will he succeed? I don't think so. But what is there to lose?

Overall I think you can say the main problem was that he was rushed - from getting picked to the his second season. He shouldn't have been a top-10 pick. 1st round yes but not top-10. People compared him with Datsyuk because he's his idol and he's a creative Russian playmaker. The media obviously loved it and went straight for it. He should have stayed another season with Barrie. Atlanta shouldn't have pushed him straight to the top-6 just because they desperately needed top-6 players. He should have stayed humble and kept on working to adapt his game more to the usual NHL style - step by step, little by little. But he did not. He probably didn't think he needed to because of his early success which was, I assume in his eyes, proving him to be right. Wrong on the long run though. At the end of the day, I don't think he was the beginning of the problem but he didn't do anything to actaully fight the problem either.

All of this probably messed up his development a lot. Not only on the ice but mainly in his head. He's not a Russian lockerroom cancer. He was a very young Russian that was overhyped and never developed the right attitude for the NHL. I guess he was one of the players that needed a role model figure. I'm too lazy to look it up but I think the departure of Nik Antropov really wasn't good for him. It can't be an excuse if you wanna make it as a professional athlete in one of the highest rated and most demanding leagues on the planet. But I think it did play a part. We never had that "experienced Russian guy" after Antropov (I know he's not Russian but we all know what I mean) he could bond with.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I wouldn't be surprised if Burmi cleared waivers. There's nothing to indicate he'll ever turn into an offensive threat, he's got a track record as a bit of an uncoachable headcase, and marginal players like him are a dime a dozen.

Remember Noel's chat with the Jets fan at Stella's after the 2011-12 season? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-inside-track-from-coach-noel/article4100344/

I think this was the first inkling of trouble with Burmi...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's over. Even I hope they waive him when Armia and Matthias are back. And you know how much love I have for Burmi.

I think he will get picked up though. There is gonna be someone in the league that will take a flyer on a free former top-10 pick. Will he succeed? I don't think so. But what is there to lose?

Overall I think you can say the main problem was that he was rushed - from getting picked to the his second season. He shouldn't have been a top-10 pick. 1st round yes but not top-10. People compared him with Datsyuk because he's his idol and he's a creative Russian playmaker. The media obviously loved it and went straight for it. He should have stayed another season with Barrie. Atlanta shouldn't have pushed him straight to the top-6 just because they desperately needed top-6 players. He should have stayed humble and kept on working to adapt his game more to the usual NHL style - step by step, little by little. But he did not. He probably didn't think he needed to because of his early success which was, I assume in his eyes, proving him to be right. Wrong on the long run though. At the end of the day, I don't think he was the beginning of the problem but he didn't do anything to actaully fight the problem either.

All of this probably messed up his development a lot. Not only on the ice but mainly in his head. He's not a Russian lockerroom cancer. He was a very young Russian that was overhyped and never developed the right attitude for the NHL. I guess he was one of the players that needed a role model figure. I'm too lazy to look it up but I think the departure of Nik Antropov really wasn't good for him. It can't be an excuse if you wanna make it as a professional athlete in one of the highest rated and most demanding leagues on the planet. But I think it did play a part. We never had that "experienced Russian guy" after Antropov (I know he's not Russian but we all know what I mean) he could bond with.

Pretty much all guesswork but sounds good to me. I think he needed 2, not 1 more season in Barrie and maybe even a little AHL time too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Burmi cleared waivers. There's nothing to indicate he'll ever turn into an offensive threat, he's got a track record as a bit of an uncoachable headcase, and marginal players like him are a dime a dozen.

Remember Noel's chat with the Jets fan at Stella's after the 2011-12 season? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-inside-track-from-coach-noel/article4100344/

I think this was the first inkling of trouble with Burmi...

Pretty good insights from Noel. Sounds like he knew what had to be done. Maybe his main shortcoming was that he couldn't make anybody cry in that room?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Mr. Know it all, Mo said he had all Russians figured out after spending a season coaching in the KHL, turning Burmi around would be no problem Maurice said!:help:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Mr. Know it all, Mo said he had all Russians figured out after spending a season coaching in the KHL, turning Burmi around would be no problem Maurice said!:help:

How come Old Mo went to the KHL anyhow to many high profile coaching offers he had to get away to think ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad