Recalled/Assigned: Jets recall O'Dell

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
As do I.
I absolutely want him too exceed.
All I am saying is curb the enthusiasm a bit.

And yes, I am for real.
Thanks for asking.

Sorry have a differing opinion to the popular belief.
It wont happen again :rolleyes:

You can have a differing opinion all you want. You get called out since you intentionally misrepresent what everyone else is saying then try to call people out on it. Then you get defensive when people realize that you are putting words in their mouth. Make a full logical post and it won't happen instead of one sentence call-outs and mis-representations.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
on a side note, did anyone notice during the Kane interview yesterday his reaction to the "you have good chemistry with your linemates" comment? He doesn't seem to believe in chemistry - sounds like he thinks it's a made-up media concept.

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
on a side note, did anyone notice during the Kane interview yesterday his reaction to the "you have good chemistry with your linemates" comment? He doesn't seem to believe in chemistry - sounds like he thinks it's a made-up media concept.

Yeah, I thought Kane was being his usual @ss self.

Perhaps he's bitter that he failed Chemistry in high school.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Chemistry: good players always seem to have it and display it when they're paired with other good players, IMHO. Sure, you might start to predict your line-mates tendencies, but beyond that I don't much believe in the idea of chemistry. Not very romantic, but...

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Let's say he slots in next to Jokinen and Seto - they played 3rd line minutes last game, while KSF played 2nd. Can we anoint him a 3rd line player? ;)

You can anoint him the Jets saviour - I'd say that Ladd should hand O'Dell the Stanley Cup for the first skate around the MTSC next June. :D

One player is not going to make much of a difference. Well, not unless we trade Wright straight up for Crosby.

But yes, it would be nice to see O'Dell with the third line and see if he's more than the offensive black holes we have in Thorburn, Wright and Tangradi.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Thorburn has EARNED top 6 minutes? Albert EARNED a spot in the lineup?

He has done absolutely everything he can to earn some NHL looks. But too put a player like him on the 4th line with plugs does not maximize his skills or help the Jets. You have to play players to maximize their strengths. O'Dell is an offensive guy with a knack for scoring. You need to put him in a situation where he can succeed. Playing him on the 4th line with grinders will not help him, much like it did not hep Scheifele last year.

Albert has more NHL games than him right now. Don't give him 2nd line minutes off the bat. I want him to succeed but I think some people are far too high on him. Someone said it best here - curb your enthusiasm a bit.

If he is as good as many here believe, he will earn his way up the lineup.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Albert has more NHL games than him right now. Don't give him 2nd line minutes off the bat. I want him to succeed but I think some people are far too high on him. Someone said it best here - curb your enthusiasm a bit.

If he is as good as many here believe, he will earn his way up the lineup.

Albert has more NHL games based on a ridiculous stupid decision. Let's bring back Jaffray and Gagnon, they have more NHL games played!

O'Dell on the 4th line is setting him up to fail. I am not saying he goes to 2nd line, 2nd PP, 17 minutes a night immediately and expected to produce. I am saying give him a chance to maximize his skills. That's ALL I have ever said, please quote me where I say he should even BE 2nd line. You like many others here are putting words in my mouth. Some players do not work in certain roles. If Scheifele had started on the 4th line with Peluso and Thorburn would he have succeeded and "worked" his way up? Or would he have been quickly cast aside like the past two years. I think the answer to that is pretty self-evident. Some players need different roles to succeed. Not even the "model" for working your way up Detroit takes a Tomas Tatar or Gustav Nyquist and throws them on the 4th line telling them to grind their way up.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Albert has more NHL games based on a ridiculous stupid decision. Let's bring back Jaffray and Gagnon, they have more NHL games played!

O'Dell on the 4th line is setting him up to fail. I am not saying he goes to 2nd line, 2nd PP, 17 minutes a night immediately and expected to produce. I am saying give him a chance to maximize his skills. That's ALL I have ever said, please quote me where I say he should even BE 2nd line. You like many others here are putting words in my mouth. Some players do not work in certain roles. If Scheifele had started on the 4th line with Peluso and Thorburn would he have succeeded and "worked" his way up? Or would he have been quickly cast aside like the past two years. I think the answer to that is pretty self-evident. Some players need different roles to succeed. Not even the "model" for working your way up Detroit takes a Tomas Tatar or Gustav Nyquist and throws them on the 4th line telling them to grind their way up.

Well said holden.

This idea that every player need to "work their way up" fromt he fourth line is ridiculous.

Considering it's pretty hard to work your way up with 4 minutes a night on the ice with two plugs. Can someone point me to the last time a guy was put on a 4th line all by himself with two useless players and made the coach move him up? For **** sakes, Spencer machacek was on the fourth line, scored at a faster rate then sydney crosby, and didn't make the team out of camp. What does that say about earning your way up?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Completely agree.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Natural for fans to want to believe the older 23/24 minor leaguer will come in tear it up. But size and speed are issues. Clock is ticking on Eric - hope he can compete.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The guy has played 0 games in the NHL. He will MAYBE be with Jokinen and Seto in a 3rd line role, likely not though. You have to earn NHL ice time.

You put players in a position to succeed atleast at the start of his call up. If he isn't played in a scoring role its redundant.

Natural for fans to want to believe the older 23/24 minor leaguer will come in tear it up. But size and speed are issues. Clock is ticking on Eric - hope he can compete.

Fair enough but he almost lost two years of development due to his heart condition which was fixed. He also has yet to get a game so I don't see how the clock is ticking in this instance. Usually you'd be right but he isn't the typical 23 year old call up. Usually high second rounders from an elite draft get a shot without having to prove it. He had to do the opposite.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think he should work his way up from the 3rd, not 4th. All I'm saying is I'm not as pumped about him as others, and I think that if he fails, some here will blame anyone but the player himself. He has some issues he needs to work through as a SCORING forward. He's done it in the A but I'm not sold on him doing it up here.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
So basically people are confusing peoples happiness with our PPG AHL prospect O'Dell finally being given a shot with the big club and wanting him to play with people who actually have some offensive talent on the third line as everyone anointing him as a bonafide top 6 player in the NHL?

If you're going to call up O'Dell and have him play with an offensive black hole like James Wright then there's almost no point to this call up at all.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Did someone on here say that O'Dell would tear it up?

I think the most some people are asking for is that he at least be put in a position to succeed.

citizenmundane

Nov 3, 2013
Wow, it's amazing that nobody here has any confidence in Noel. We'll all be shocked if a) O'Dell actually plays tonight and b) He actually gets a chance to play with Olli/Seto and isn't relegated to the Black Hole of Calcutta (4th line).

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So basically people are confusing peoples happiness with our PPG AHL prospect O'Dell finally being given a shot with the big club and wanting him to play with people who actually have some offensive talent on the third line as everyone anointing him as a bonafide top 6 player in the NHL?

If you're going to call up O'Dell and have him play with an offensive black hole like James Wright then there's almost no point to this call up at all.

Yes he should be in a position to succeed. I think the hype on this board for him is going to surpass what he's actually capable of. I really hope he contributes though.

I agree with him being put with Seto and Jokinen. I hope that doesn't end up being a d-zone train wreck.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Yes he should be in a position to succeed. I think the hype on this board for him is going to surpass what he's actually capable of. I really hope he contributes though.

I agree with him being put with Seto and Jokinen. I hope that doesn't end up being a d-zone train wreck.

Hope != hype though. He's put up some good numbers in the AHL - I 'hope' he can translate his game to the NHL, but I'm not holding my breath.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Hope is different than hype, but there's plenty of both around him. I hope he can do well. I have questions about whether or not he can, especially skating wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad