Recalled/Assigned: Jets recall O'Dell

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He'll probably only be up for the Buffalo game. They want to bank as much cap space as possible.

Peluso has to sit 2 more and they usually keep 14 forwards. When Bogosian is ready they will probably send Pardy down. Slater isn''t close yet. O'Dell might be up for a while.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Play him with Seto and Olli and let's try to run 3 scoring lines.

This callup is well earned let's hope he makes the most of it.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The guy has played 0 games in the NHL. He will MAYBE be with Jokinen and Seto in a 3rd line role, likely not though. You have to earn NHL ice time.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The guy has played 0 games in the NHL. He will MAYBE be with Jokinen and Seto in a 3rd line role, likely not though. You have to earn NHL ice time.

Thorburn has EARNED top 6 minutes? Albert EARNED a spot in the lineup?

He has done absolutely everything he can to earn some NHL looks. But too put a player like him on the 4th line with plugs does not maximize his skills or help the Jets. You have to play players to maximize their strengths. O'Dell is an offensive guy with a knack for scoring. You need to put him in a situation where he can succeed. Playing him on the 4th line with grinders will not help him, much like it did not hep Scheifele last year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He has done absolutely everything he can to earn some NHL looks. But too put a player like him on the 4th line with plugs does not maximize his skills or help the Jets. You have to play players to maximize their strengths. O'Dell is an offensive guy with a knack for scoring. You need to put him in a situation where he can succeed. Playing him on the 4th line with grinders will not help him, much like it did not hep Scheifele last year.

Yup there is zero point to playing him on the 4th line.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

I 100% agree with this.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Oh wait
It's almost everyone
and oh wait
It's not just here :help:

A bit dramatic, no? Nobody is calling him a 2nd line player here, they just want to see him get a good opportunity on the depth chart to show what he can do.

O'Dell is 23, 24 years old in 6 months, he's in his 3rd AHL season, he's not just a kid. He is a polished AHL'er at this point who consistently leads his team offensively and has accumulated 106 points in 126 AHL games, it's time to give him an opportunity, not make him climb over walls and go through an obstacle course to get it.

People put way too much weight into "earning" something. All this team is earning is another long summer.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I saw what looked like 2 real F lines on this team for the first time in recent memory last night.
KSF may not rate as top-6ers on deeper NHL teams, but they are the best we've got right now.
O'Dell should be on the third line with Jokinen and be given a fair opportunity to strut his stuff--minimum 3 games.
Slightly OT: I have been less than impressed with Seto for the past number of games, especially defensively. It's not that he lacks talent, but I just don't see the fire. As far as I am concerned, there is room for O'Dell on EITHER of Jokinen's wings.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The reality is our middle 6 has no real structure. Scheif and Frolik seem to play well together, and Kane seemed to have good chemistry last night. Jokinen and Seto are surprisingly good together. The way our middle 6 is now either line could be the 2nd or the 3rd.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
lets have the kid play at least one period of NHL hockey before we anoint him a second line NHLer

I think most people are advocating that we keep Kane with Frolik and Scheifele, and no line with Kane on it are going to be a 3rd line.

And yes, I would much rather see O'Dell get a chance with Jokinen and Setoguchi, instead of Thorburn.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A bit dramatic, no? Nobody is calling him a 2nd line player here, they just want to see him get a good opportunity on the depth chart to show what he can do.

O'Dell is 23, 24 years old in 6 months, he's in his 3rd AHL season, he's not just a kid. He is a polished AHL'er at this point who consistently leads his team offensively and has accumulated 106 points in 126 AHL games, it's time to give him an opportunity, not make him climb over walls and go through an obstacle course to get it.

People put way too much weight into "earning" something. All this team is earning is another long summer.

Yup, he has definitely earned his opportunity. Even if he plays on the third line he is likely not seeing any special teams time so hell get roughly 13 minutes, but at least it will be with some offensive players.

The Jets also need to give him a look for their sakes. He's waiver eligible next year and the Jets will need to know what to do with him next summer.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Chicago's Brandon Saad was 20 years old a year ago today, he was just beginning his AHL career as the lockout was ongoing. He played 31 games and accumulated 20 points in the AHL. When the NHL season began in January he found himself on Chicago's NHL roster, in their top 9, playing good, respectable minutes. Sure he went his first 11 games with 1 point, but he was given the ice time and linemates and he blossomed. Ended up with 27 points in 46 games and this year he has 25 in 36 and on pace for 27 goals and 57 points. He did very well and look at him now, it's paying off.

Nothing wrong with giving young players an honest opportunity.

Saad's icetime as a rookie,

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476438&season=20122013&view=gamelog

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm really happy for O'Dell.

I like how the Jets are giving our AHL players a chance to show what they can do in the NHL.

Last edited:

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Sigh. People want him to have a real chance to show his skills, which do not fit a 4th line. How in the hell does that equal people anointing him a legit NHL 2nd liner? Are you for real?

As do I.
I absolutely want him too exceed.
All I am saying is curb the enthusiasm a bit.

And yes, I am for real.
Thanks for asking.

Sorry have a differing opinion to the popular belief.
It wont happen again :rolleyes:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Wasn't O'Dell injured a couple times in his AHL seasons, probably why (if so) his career stalled a bit. Like the fact that O'Dell has shown he can score at all levels unlike the slug they brought up to warm the bench and really shows, well, not much. Albert kind of looks like Machacek without the skating ability, grit or skill, enough said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad