Recalled/Assigned: Jets recall John Albert

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Are you saying it is impossible for the Chevy to make a mistake and in that same moment for some here to be right on the situation?

Or better yet for this case, that sometimes both can be right, it is just a mater of preference. In here some may value "best player" more than "the hot player"?

No not at all... just find the angst some posters have regarding Chevy's "bizarre" call up decisions kind of amusing. I don't really get the O'Dell love.. and after hearing from people who actually watch the IceCaps games rave about how good Albert has been lately it makes perfect sense. Besides Albert scored on his first shot in his last callup did he not? I expect him to maintain that SH%. :)

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
From a Icecap fan congrats to Albert,but all the same I wish it was O Dell who got the call,just checked my phone and 3 people are mad too,Albert really hurts the Icecaps in many areas,while O Dell honestly the Icecaps could prob roll along without.Great news for Albert,but replacing what he does here wont be that easy

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
No not at all... just find the angst some posters have regarding Chevy's "bizarre" call up decisions kind of amusing. I don't really get the O'Dell love.. and after hearing from people who actually watch the IceCaps games rave about how good Albert has been lately it makes perfect sense. Besides Albert scored on his first shot in his last callup did he not? I expect him to maintain that SH%. :)

I watch lots of IceCaps :(

I never found it bizarre... just not what I'd do.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

Hmmm, I swear my posts must be incredibly difficult to interpret. A line of reasoning is what I was referring to as bizarre. I don't understand this constant misrepresentation of peoples posts around here. I understand it's easier to win an argument against some weird mashup of 10 different posters words, but it's so unproductive.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
:rant: I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. Your 2nd line centre goes down what do you do? Move Olli up because he has no chemistry with anybody (didn't have a choice), move Slater into a 3rd line role :laugh:, and call up an AHL grinder :laugh:.

Don't call up the guy who actually has a similar skill set to the one you just lost.

I really see why fans would question the choice of John Albert, but man, you should see him play on the rock.

At the AHL level he distinguishes himself with his strong overall game.

The Jets also may be thinking about PK ability. Have you seen the John Albert wrecking ball lately scoring shorthanded? Oh baby!

John Albert is not Mark Scheifele, but he's what we've got.

Honestly, from the live feeds and highlights I've been watching, I would call John Albert an AHL superstar. There were times when the opposing teams just had no solution to him. Go ahead and scoff, "big deal...AHL star", but what better message can be sent to players than bringing these guys up? The Ice Caps, (and perhaps the Jets) players know what Albert has been doing, they know why he's getting the call-up, and they know the consistent message that delivers to them.

Perform and be rewarded.

Note that Ice Cap fans are not complaining that the WRONG guy was sent up. Their concerns are that Albert is just harder for the team to lose. Think about that.

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

no you take him

no you!

C'mon Albert!

This is just too perfect now.

ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT! ALBERT!

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Guaranteed the IceCaps allow 2-3 PP goals a weekend untill Johnny A comes back. Awesome PK talent and has been nothing short of amazing. Have to wonder though, If the jets signed both Gordan and Samson, yet have no intentions of bringing them up.

Honestly I'd send you both right now before I sent Albert away

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I really see why fans would question the choice of John Albert, but man, you should see him play on the rock.

At the AHL level he distinguishes himself with his strong overall game.

The Jets also may be thinking about PK ability. Have you seen the John Albert wrecking ball lately scoring shorthanded? Oh baby!

Honestly, from the live feeds and highlights I've been watching, I would call John Albert an AHL superstar. There were times when the opposing teams just had no solution to him. Go ahead and scoff, "big deal...AHL star", but what better message can be sent to players than bringing these guys up? The Ice Caps, (and perhaps the Jets) players know what Albert has been doing, they know why he's getting the call-up, and they know the consistent message that delivers to them.

Perform and be rewarded.

Note that Ice Cap fans are not complaining that the WRONG guy was sent up. Their concerns are that Albert is just harder for the team to lose. Think about that.

I'm not saying Albert isn't a good player (though the scoring suddenly sky rocketing in a 2 month period at 25 years old despite never producing much offence, even college, with an over 30% shooting % is pretty suspect to me)

I'm saying he is not the right choice to attempt to replace what we lost not a bad player, but he's the one who has been called up so I digress.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
so basically Lowry will never play in the NHL ....

I don't think I'll ever forget the picture of the baby-faced Lowry from last year. It takes some time to fill out that frame of his, especially considering that he's a sandpaper player.

It was a huge leap for him to play his game at the AHL level, suddenly facing players who were full-sized, experienced, and highly-motivated to impress their organizations so they could get a 10X pay increase to get into the show.

...and yet, he's made huge strides this year. He's at the point where opponents are leaning hard on him because he's made himself a threat to them at the pro level. He also seems to be bigger and stronger. Gone is that kid from his rookie picture.

That's all positive, and doesn't really answer your unasked question, "Why not Lowry?".

It's too early in Lowry's development to throw him to the wolves. Let him build his game, his strength, and his confidence. It's admittedly a judgement call, but bringing up a player who's not ready can hurt his overall career.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think I'll ever forget the picture of the baby-faced Lowry from last year. It takes some time to fill out that frame of his, especially considering that he's a sandpaper player.

It was a huge leap for him to play his game at the AHL level, suddenly facing players who were full-sized, experienced, and highly-motivated to impress their organizations so they could get a 10X pay increase to get into the show.

...and yet, he's made huge strides this year. He's at the point where opponents are leaning hard on him because he's made himself a threat to them at the pro level. He also seems to be bigger and stronger. Gone is that kid from his rookie picture.

That's all positive, and doesn't really answer your unasked question, "Why not Lowry?".

It's too early in Lowry's development to throw him to the wolves. Let him build his game, his strength, and his confidence. It's admittedly a judgement call, but bringing up a player who's not ready can hurt his overall career.

Was it this picture? I think this is from his first year in Junior, but it was still the photo on his player page a year after he was drafted. Scheifele was joking about it last year:
a_lowry.jpg

lol he looks 12...

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
I'm confused why so many people are worked up. What does it matter if it is
Albert or O'Dell? They would only be a 4th line winger anyway. Slater is the
centre on the 4th line and Little, Jokinen and Frolik are the top 3 centres.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Was it this picture? I think this is from his first year in Junior, but it was still the photo on his player page a year after he was drafted. Scheifele was joking about it last year:
a_lowry.jpg

lol he looks 12...

You could say he's grown up a tiny bit.

rEaUN7Sl.jpg

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I'm confused why so many people are worked up. What does it matter if it is
Albert or O'Dell? They would only be a 4th line winger anyway. Slater is the
centre on the 4th line and Little, Jokinen and Frolik are the top 3 centres.

Because O'Dell fits out needs a bit better. He could slot in on the 2nd line if need be. Albert on the other hand, I can't see him being up in the top 6. If it was a 4th line player we needed, albert might be my first choice.

Hopefully Albert proves he belongs :)

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
If the Jets are out of it down the stretch it would be nice to see Lowry & Lipon play a game or two on the 4th line. At least those two might have a future here (Sorry Odell... just don't see a spot for you here in the top 9 if the Jets are serious about getting better).

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

We have a guy called Eric O'Dell.

Frankly this decision is so strange and puzzling that I think Chevy might just be going out of his way to troll HFBoards Jets after seeing anti-Chevy posts in the trade deadline thread. I would love to be a fly in the room where this decision was made so that I can understand whatever messed up and convoluted logic that TNSE came up with to justify this callup.

The funny thing is that when Albert was called up in December a lot of people defended it as "he's a better fit for the 4th line role, O'Dell is wasted there" but now the same people are not using the same logic to say that O'Dell should be the callup. Some fans just lap everything up that comes out of TNSE press releases and Chevy

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
I would venture to guess the reason why Albert was called rather than O'Dell is that since the Jets are not going to make the playoffs, it's best to try and leave well enough alone at the Rock in hopes that they experience success as much as possible in their playoff run. I agree with leaving O'Dell down at this stage. He will help more down there than help the Jets make playoffs as a 4th line center.

O'Dell will be signed in the off season and this may be to bolster Albert's hopes of still being in the Jets radar when it comes down this his RFA negotiations this summer. Ice Caps need him to sign and be a part of that team next year seeing that O'Dell will in all likelyhood be playing with the Jets or be traded for next year.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
We have a guy called Eric O'Dell.

Frankly this decision is so strange and puzzling that I think Chevy might just be going out of his way to troll HFBoards Jets after seeing anti-Chevy posts in the trade deadline thread. I would love to be a fly in the room where this decision was made so that I can understand whatever messed up and convoluted logic that TNSE came up with to justify this callup.

The funny thing is that when Albert was called up in December a lot of people defended it as "he's a better fit for the 4th line role, O'Dell is wasted there" but now the same people are not using the same logic to say that O'Dell should be the callup. Some fans just lap everything up that comes out of TNSE press releases and Chevy

And some fans do nothing but complain about every single move the organization makes.

It's already been documented how the org decides who to bring up. It's a collective discussion between Chevy, Zinger, McCambridge, Maurice, etc.

Our Ice Cap fans have been pretty unanimous that Albert has been playing the best, and is clearly playing better than O'Dell.

The only thing that's funny, are people behind their computer screens who think they have a better handle on who's playing well in St. John's than the coaching staff.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
And some fans do nothing but complain about every single move the organization makes.

It's already been documented how the org decides who to bring up. It's a collective discussion between Chevy, Zinger, McCambridge, Maurice, etc.

Our Ice Cap fans have been pretty unanimous that Albert has been playing the best, and is clearly playing better than O'Dell.

The only thing that's funny, are people behind their computer screens who think they have a better handle on who's playing well in St. John's than the coaching staff.

I agree, and the organization has to continue to implement the reward system. You play great, you get called up. Otherwise what incentive is there to be the best player of the month etc....

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Pretty clear Jets have zero faith in O'Dell. Hopefully he can move on from the Jets after this season to find a real chance to play meaningful minutes. Sigh. Guess rewarding career minor leaguer Albert is more important than giving a real prospect in O'Dell a chance.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Guys. Albert is a gritty guy who works hard and shot at 30% in February... Of course an organization and fan opinions will be swayed a bit when everything you touch goes in the back of the net for a month.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Guys. Albert is a gritty guy who works hard and shot at 30% in February... Of course an organization and fan opinions will be swayed a bit when everything you touch goes in the back of the net for a month.

Why do you assume thats the reason? Numerous caps fans have stated Albert has been their best player overall.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Pretty clear Jets have zero faith in O'Dell. Hopefully he can move on from the Jets after this season to find a real chance to play meaningful minutes. Sigh. Guess rewarding career minor leaguer Albert is more important than giving a real prospect in O'Dell a chance.

The name you're looking for is klingberg, not Odell. Klingberg is all but gone.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Why do you assume thats the reason? Numerous caps fans have stated Albert has been their best player overall.

I've also watched the IceCaps and I'll argue against that... Not saying he's been bad, even remotely but he is not the best player on the team.

Plus, numerous of any fans of any teams tend to sway their opinion on %s.

Look at fan perception and PDO. Heck look at it with GMs. It's hilarious. Komisarek get's a high PDO: huge contract. Then low PDO: buyout.

It happens all the time. We (as in all humans, including myself) get influenced by the outcomes of actions more than we do about the actions themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad