Recalled/Assigned: Jets recall Hutchinson, Chiarot, and Redmond

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Maybe he's cleared to play and they're benching him so he doesn't get hurt again, then they can buy him out.

Signed in to suggest this, you beat me to it. I think (hope) we've seen the last of Pavelec.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
this whole pavs injury thing is fishy if you ask me. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks its too convenient he keeps making it through the end of periods before getting taken off due to injury...especially after stinking out the joint for the period.

but maybe the inner dialogue is something like this:

goal the first..."hmmm, that didn't feel too good. Perhaps I'm back a little too soon...oh well lets see what happens..."

goal the second..."yeah, man...that hurt. I definitely shouldn't be in here yet. One more goal and I'm done."

goal the third..."OWZIES! Youch...OK that's it. I'm playing till the period ends and that's it! Chances are they won't get any more shots anyway right?"

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
Maybe he's cleared to play and they're benching him so he doesn't get hurt again, then they can buy him out.

I have this irrational fear that it's actually the opposite: Chevy loves Pavelec so much that he'll retro IR him so he has an excuse not to buy him out.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I have this irrational fear that it's actually the opposite: Chevy loves Pavelec so much that he'll retro IR him so he has an excuse not to buy him out.

I feel like it was more Noël that had the Pav-fever and Maurice seems much more aware that he isn't helping the team. Pavs said he was cleared 3 games ago to play and Maurice came out and said that Monty deserves to start. I think (again, hope) that this is a test to see if Hutchinson is NHL-ready and can be a competent backup/1B goalie with Montoya in case they can't find a goalie via trade or FA after Pavs is bought out. If this is the case we'll be seeing Hutch a few times to close out the year. But again it's just hope and blind speculation on my part.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
One nice thing about this is there is suddenly room for Morrissey on D and maybe Comrie in St John's.

Last edited:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
It's the right time of year to give these guys a chance to see what they can do. Like O'Dell. He finally got a chance and showed that he belongs.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I feel like it was more Noël that had the Pav-fever and Maurice seems much more aware that he isn't helping the team. Pavs said he was cleared 3 games ago to play and Maurice came out and said that Monty deserves to start. I think (again, hope) that this is a test to see if Hutchinson is NHL-ready and can be a competent backup/1B goalie with Montoya in case they can't find a goalie via trade or FA after Pavs is bought out. If this is the case we'll be seeing Hutch a few times to close out the year. But again it's just hope and blind speculation on my part.

Pavelec first got hurt in Maurice's 21st game coaching the Jets. That game was the 17th time Mo gave Pavs the start. Whether it's the Coach's call, or a general directive from the GM, IMO it's not just Noel.

I hope you're right about them wanting to get Hutch into a game. Time to start seeing what you've got in some of these prospects.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Pavelec first got hurt in Maurice's 21st game coaching the Jets. That game was the 17th time Mo gave Pavs the start. Whether it's the Coach's call, or a general directive from the GM, IMO it's not just Noel.

I hope you're right about them wanting to get Hutch into a game. Time to start seeing what you've got in some of these prospects.

Pavs played great when Maurice first took over. When you're a new coach coming in you play who was originally designated as the starter, then to have Pavs play as well as he did that's the first thing Maurice is seeing from Pavelec. It would be my belief that it was the coach's call to play him and I don't necessarily feel like it was the wrong one as he's still feeling out the team and seeing what player's tendencies are through stretches. Him saying that Monty deserves to start over Pavs tells me he has seen enough now and has concluded that Pavs shouldn't be the starter. Hell he could have been specifically asked by Chevy to play him more so that he could give Chevy educated advice on whether Pavs is worth keeping or not, we really have no way of knowing one way or another but based on Maurice's comments it would be my guess that he's made his decision on how he feels about Pavs.

thed00d

Sep 29, 2010

With the buyout period happening before free agency, do the Jets actually buy Pavelec out and go into free agency with no goalies signed?

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
With the buyout period happening before free agency, do the Jets actually buy Pavelec out and go into free agency with no goalies signed?

don't see why that would matter. it's not like finding two goalies who can at minimum provide the level of play we've seen this year would be very difficult.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I have to agree, .902 sv% tending isn't that hard to find. Even if we take a step back, it is better long term.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

There's no way around that. Besides, there's always veteran backups and low-end starters bouncing around the league who'd be no worse than Pavelec, cheaper and easily signed for one year. Hypothetically, even if the Jets wanted Montoya back and he signed elsewhere, there's plenty of Montoyas out there.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman

Yes. I do not think there would be a problem finding a goaltender that can put up Pav like numbers, for cheaper. There will always be an option or two out there if we buy him out.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

the list of FA goalies this summer is absolutely astounding. there's a glut.
i wouldn't worry about finding a goalie. may not be an A-1 stud, but it would be a top 30 NHL goalie.
i'd suggest that Pavs and Montoya have shown that neither are worth hanging on to. you start fresh.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
WTF is everybody insisting on "waiting for Godot" (Comrie/Hellebucyk)? We've got 2 goalies who'll be RFAs this summer, tearing up the AHL...
  • Pasquale, who had .920 SV% before a season-ending injury
  • Hutchinson, who had .921 SV% after stepping in for Pasquale
For comparison, P****** had .911 in 2007-2008 with the Chicago Wolves. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that both Pasquale and Hutchinson will be subject to waivers next season. So we can't send them down to the AHL after training camp, without risking losing them to waivers. Use 'em or lose 'em. P****** is superfluous.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I am worried about this too. I hope it's not Chevy giving himself cover to not buyout Pavs and after this summer you can't meaningfully buy him out so we are stuck :(

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Can anyone clarify the buy out rule. What constitutes a season-ending injury and will that necessarily prevent a buy out from being an option?? If P-mask is good enough to be a back-up at the end of the season, can we buy him out.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Can anyone clarify the buy out rule. What constitutes a season-ending injury and will that necessarily prevent a buy out from being an option?? If P-mask is good enough to be a back-up at the end of the season, can we buy him out.

This does not answer your question, but I would like to point out that Maurice is not saying until tomorrow why Hutchinson was recalled. Charlie Huddy gave no indication to Cassie Campbell that Pavelec was injured at all when he was removed from the Saturday game.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
FWIW Mason got new jets gear (pads) right before he was not re-signed in the ensuing offseason. Pavelec just got a new mask... :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad