Prospect Info: Jets prospects at the 2023 World Junior Championship

None

Feb 22, 2012
What number is Wagner.

just reading some commentary of fin vs swiss

seems like that game against finland was a bit of a coming out party for lian bischel? lots of praise for his game.

Played every other shift it felt like. Skates well for how big he is and hits everything he can. A blend of late career Antropov with the physicality and early career Antropov with his hands. While being a defenseman, of course :laugh:

Edit: Tried thinking about a defenseman comparable and thought of Parayko.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRW204

None

Feb 22, 2012

I was wrong

New coach, same mindset as the old coach I guess.

To me it was less an issue of individual players and moreso that the team wasn't prepared to play a team like Switzerland who aren't going to get drawn into playing outside of their team's defensive structure. Finland's loss was on their coaches to me :dunno:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I honestly was leaning that way as well at the time
Interesting. I don’t know any of these kids and have to defer to authority and hope Chevy was right. Luckily, he does have a pretty good record minus a few blunders.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Like most people I was always heavily invested in Team Canada at the WJHC.
The one downside of the Jets coming back to Winnipeg/the NHL is that I have significantly lost interest in Team Canada. With the exception of the years where we had Jets on Canada (which isn't that often).
I still want Canada to win but I just don't care as much.
Similar to the abysmal World Cup concept that included Team North America.
With Scheifele, Helle and Trouba on the younger team I found myself cheering for them over Canada.

Go Canada Go (with less enthusiasm)
Too bad the Jets scouts gave forgotten that the tiny little country of Canada still produces some pretty good players. I hope Team Canada crushes all opposition, Jets prospects included.

Reactions: Fairview

None

Feb 22, 2012
The US team is doing a better job generating chances through Latvia's tight checking than Finland did against Switzerland. Much better job of actually following the puck carrier through the neutral zone to provide outlets when Latvia steps up at the line.

With that said Team USA's defense might be a little over aggressive. There's been a couple odd man rushes against now that the US will get burned on against better teams.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Too bad the Jets scouts gave forgotten that the tiny little country of Canada still produces some pretty good players. I hope Team Canada crushes all opposition, Jets prospects included.

It shouldn't be about nationality, but Jets do seem to be ignoring the largest and best pool of prospects.
They didn't draft a Canadian this year until the 7th rd. They didn't draft any last year. They did take Perfetti 1st the year before. 1 Canadian the year before that .... in the 5th rd. The year before that, they drafted 2 Canadians in the 5th rd and 1 in the 7th. That is 5 drafts with just 1 Canadian in the first 4 rds.

It remains to be seen how successfully they have drafted in those 5 years.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
It shouldn't be about nationality, but Jets do seem to be ignoring the largest and best pool of prospects.
They didn't draft a Canadian this year until the 7th rd. They didn't draft any last year. They did take Perfetti 1st the year before. 1 Canadian the year before that .... in the 5th rd. The year before that, they drafted 2 Canadians in the 5th rd and 1 in the 7th. That is 5 drafts with just 1 Canadian in the first 4 rds.

we drafted zhilkin in the 3rd round last year, wasn't born here but came over at 11 and reps canada

Reactions: Thechozen1

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I don’t think the Jets care one way or another where the player is from they draft who they believe is the best player available. If a team starts prioritizing nationality over other variables they have stopped even trying.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I don’t think the Jets care one way or another where the player is from they draft who they believe is the best player available. If a team starts prioritizing nationality over other variables they have stopped even trying.
yup, to add to that we've had the fewest picks of any nhl from 19-21 so if we only drafted from 1 area we would limit our chances of finding nhl players

Reactions: KingBogo

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
we drafted zhilkin in the 3rd round last year, wasn't born here but came over at 11 and reps canada

OK, add 1 3rd rounder. Still not much representation.
In 12 dafts, our 1st pick has been Canadian 3 times, Scheifele, Morrissey and Perfetti.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
It’s a matter of where you put your scouting resources, and if you’re ignoring the top hockey power in the world you are doomed to mediocrity.

Meanwhile, nice goal by Latvia!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I agree - but somehow Canada is being consistently underrepresented. Some unintended bias? Scouting failure? Pure coincidence of how the prospects fall? How long does it take before it becomes statistically significant?

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
It’s a matter of where you put your scouting resources, and if you’re ignoring the top hockey power in the world you are doomed to mediocrity.

Alright, I’ll bite.

Go look at every non-Canadian 1st pick we’ve made and then the next Canadian picked.

2012: Trouba, Koekkoek
2014: Ehlers, N. Ritchie
2015: Connor, Chabot
2016: Laine, PLD
2017: Vesalainen, Frost
2019: Heinola, Poulin
2021: Lucius, Bourgault
2022: McGroarty, Pickering

I think the scouts were better off not drafting the next ranked Canadian in almost every scenario, except Vesalainen, albeit Frost hasn’t turned into anything exceptional. The past two years likely too early to tell, but neither look outrageous.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree - but somehow Canada is being consistently underrepresented. Some unintended bias? Scouting failure? Pure coincidence of how the prospects fall? How long does it take before it becomes statistically significant?
One thing is that IMO the US does a better job at early development compared to Canada. The USA Development Program and USHL does a better job working with the 16 and 17 y/o group to maximize development over the CHL. Less games and more focus on skill development. While I believe Canada has more high end talent, the guys that are drafted in the top 10, the US does a better job of preparing the next tier of players that go in the mid and late 1st round. So far the Jets have been very successful in drafting these players. Connor being the best example.

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't think the Jets ignore anywhere. They have all their scouting reports from all countries and select who they believe is the BPA. The only nation I believe that they would look at under a different lens would be Russia, since there is growing uncertainty if those players will become available to you.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad