News Article: Jets prospect Ehlers sets new record in Halifax

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehler's needs to add some weight (muscle) and adjust to that before any NHL talk even enters the picture, if you guys remember the pre-season where he was easily out-muscled at every turn.

My guess Ehler's goes back to junior.

Petan and Morrissey go to St. Johns to start the year. (can't remember if Morrissey can yet)

The way I saw it he was getting out-muscled because he went out of his way to challenge bigger, stronger players. Apparently trying to demonstrate that he could do it. He couldn't and should have been avoiding some of those confrontations. Last TC he was trying too hard in many ways. He needs to mature enough to just go out and play his game, use his strengths. That is mental but is hard to teach. Until he learns that he won't be ready for the NHL, IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehler's needs to add some weight (muscle) and adjust to that before any NHL talk even enters the picture, if you guys remember the pre-season where he was easily out-muscled at every turn.

My guess Ehler's goes back to junior.

Petan and Morrissey go to St. Johns to start the year. (can't remember if Morrissey can yet)

One of Petan & Ehlers probably makes the Jets in TC next year. Morrissey I figure is about 50/50 but will be up with the Jets at the first injury and probably stay.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
[mod]

The kid just set an amazing record in a league that had the likes of Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby, Ducky, Denis Savard, Guy Lafleur, Mike friggen Bossy, Luc Robitaille, Patty Lafontain, just to name a few, playing in it.

To try and downplay it by making it out as though he accomplished it in a Junior B system is ignorant. Makes it very easy to understand who on this forum is worth reading, and those that have little insight to offer.

For clarification however, it's a team record. Ehlers set the Mooseheads record, which has only been around since 1994. Granted, he beat out Jonathan Drouin as the previous record holder, so, not like he beat some scrub.

As for his skillset, it is amazing, but I don't think his hands are as good as he thinks they are. His stick handling and shooting are nowhere near the level that Drouin has.

His greatest assets are speed, hockey sense and work ethic. His feet are always moving. He back-checks hard too... when he's not at the end of a 2 minute shift which happens with some frequency.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
About Ehlers: Can't wait to see the kid at TC this fall, hope he kicks down the door and never looks back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I cant' wait for his diving penalties being added to the team to compliment our stick penalties.

I kid, I kid

going to enjoy watching him on the Jets when he makes the move.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
As for his skillset, it is amazing, but I don't think his hands are as good as he thinks they are. His stick handling and shooting are nowhere near the level that Drouin has.

I hope Ehlers' shooting is close to Drouin's though since Drouin only has 2 goals in 49 games this year - same as Chiarot but in more games

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I hope Ehlers' shooting is close to Drouin's though since Drouin only has 2 goals in 49 games this year - same as Chiarot but in more games

Keep in mind a lot of my opinion on Drouin is based on the previous 3 years and not this season. From what I understand he's playing pretty sheltered minutes in Tampa.

Ehlers has a hard, quick release, but he can't hit the net to save his life right now. He's put a lot of deep black dents in the boards behind the visitors net, I can tell you that. That being said, despite his point streak he's a bit snakebitten right now when it comes to actually scoring. Down the stretch last year he exploded and put up 49 goals so, when he's hot he can score. He just tries to hard to pick corners, and right now he's not hitting his mark.

And Ehlers can stick handle at an above average level, but his strength is going around one guy and beating people to the outside... Whereas Drouin could undress an entire 5 man unit by himself.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Keep in mind a lot of my opinion on Drouin is based on the previous 3 years and not this season. From what I understand he's playing pretty sheltered minutes in Tampa.

Ehlers has a hard, quick release, but he can't hit the net to save his life right now. He's put a lot of deep black dents in the boards behind the visitors net, I can tell you that. That being said, despite his point streak he's a bit snakebitten right now when it comes to actually scoring. Down the stretch last year he exploded and put up 49 goals so, when he's hot he can score. He just tries to hard to pick corners, and right now he's not hitting his mark.

And Ehlers can stick handle at an above average level, but his strength is going around one guy and beating people to the outside... Whereas Drouin could undress an entire 5 man unit by himself.

For the NHL, it's better to have explosive speed and be able to handle the puck at that speed, more than being able to stickhandle around players. You aren't going to stickhandle around a bunch of NHLers very often, but you can catch them flat-footed. The other thing I have noticed about Ehlers is that he has terrific vision and thinks the game at a very high pace. That will translate to the NHL, especially if he plays with other talented players. I'd love to see him with Scheifele or Perreault or Little.

Ehlers has scored at a similar rate to Drouin in their respective draft and draft+1 years (combined)...

Draft year and Draft+1 combined:
Drouin 0.737 goals/game
Ehlers 0.755 goals/game

Drouin was a bit higher in his draft year, whereas Ehlers has been higher in his draft+1 year.

Last edited:

saskachewonian

Sep 24, 2014
Saskatchewan
I just hope he comes into camp rested, Ehlers has played a HELL of a lot of hockey in the past year. Im not sure I'd want to see him in the AHL, it can be a pretty chippy league. Imho I'd like to see him make the jump this coming year but who knows.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just hope he comes into camp rested, Ehlers has played a HELL of a lot of hockey in the past year. Im not sure I'd want to see him in the AHL, it can be a pretty chippy league. Imho I'd like to see him make the jump this coming year but who knows.

I still tend to expect him to have to force the Jets to keep him next year. Anything less and he will be back in junior.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I still tend to expect him to have to force the Jets to keep him next year. Anything less and he will be back in junior.

Hard to imagine how he improves next year in Junior. He'll either dominate even more than this year because he's so much better than everyone else, or he might get a bit bored and disinterested (I think Petan faced a bit of this).

I think he'll force the Jets to keep him next year, and that he's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hard to imagine how he improves next year in Junior. He'll either dominate even more than this year because he's so much better than everyone else, or he might get a bit bored and disinterested (I think Petan faced a bit of this).

I think he'll force the Jets to keep him next year, and that he's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

I don't disagree with that Whileee but I think forcing will be necessary. The Jets will continue to be conservative.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think it will come down to whether Frolik and Stafford are resigned.

If both come back, then a guy like Ehlers will likely stay in jr for one more year. Armia is closer to being pro ready, so I see him here before Ehlers, tbh. I don't think they rush him, and that's physically, not skill.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think it will come down to whether Frolik and Stafford are resigned.

If both come back, then a guy like Ehlers will likely stay in jr for one more year. Armia is closer to being pro ready, so I see him here before Ehlers, tbh. I don't think they rush him, and that's physically, not skill.

For me, keeping Ehlers in juniors now will only reinforce bad behavior. He is so much better than everyone else now, I think it can be hard to find motivation for ANOTHER season where he's supposed to crush everyone.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
For me, keeping Ehlers in juniors now will only reinforce bad behavior. He is so much better than everyone else now, I think it can be hard to find motivation for ANOTHER season where he's supposed to crush everyone.

Because he is a European born player can he play next season in Europe or because he was drafted out of the CHL is it CHL or NHL only?

The only positive about junior is Denmark qualified for the big tournament again.

19 year olds from the CHL should be allowed to play in the AHL.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Because he is a European born player can he play next season in Europe or because he was drafted out of the CHL is it CHL or NHL only?

The only positive about junior is Denmark qualified for the big tournament again.

Correct.

As for the 19yr old thing - it's an agreement between the CHL and the NHL so as to not leech the best players from the CHL. The CHL is a very important development league, and the NHL has even reason to want it to succeed. Pulling the 'stars' from the CHL would potentially lower their gate revenue.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Even if he played in the AHL a bit, I think he'd end up on the Jets next year. He's really, really good, and the Jets need some more talent on their top-9. I really doubt that he'll have trouble adapting to the NHL style. He's a very smart player, seems coachable, and has a strong desire to succeed as a player and win as a team. His main limitation will be his strength, but I think he'll be fine given his style of play.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehlers was good enough to be on the Jets this year, no way in hell he's back in junior next year.

I disagree with the bolded. He was exciting and skilled but far from ready and I don't mean physically. He was doing too many of the wrong things. If he gets it this year his skill might force the issue. If not he will have to go back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad