News Article: Jets prospect Ehlers sets new record in Halifax

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Not to take anything away from Ehler's accomplishments but he is playing in by the far the weakest of the three CHL leagues. Just saying.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Not to take anything away from Ehler's accomplishments but he is playing in by the far the weakest of the three CHL leagues. Just saying.

you're literally just taking away from his accomplishment, though. Everybody else who's come out of the Q and Mooseheads (Drouin, MacKinnon) has had the same chance at the same level of competition... without accomplishing the same thing. Just saying :sarcasm:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Not to take anything away from Ehler's accomplishments

Go on...

but he is playing in by the far the weakest of the three CHL leagues. Just saying.

:(

Many of the comparisons that people are bringing up reference other high level players who've played in the Q. Ehlers is dominating that league, in a manner similar to elite players who learned their craft there.

I'm not going to qualify it, personally. Not sure why there'd be a question mark hanging over one of the most elite upside players this franchise has ever drafted.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Weaker league, yet he becomes the 4th or 5th player in the past 15 years to get a 30 game or more point streak in it. Considering the talent that has filtered through the Q, I'd call it rather impressive.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Weaker league, yet he becomes the 4th or 5th player in the past 15 years to get a 30 game or more point streak in it. Considering the talent that has filtered through the Q, I'd call it rather impressive.

Look at the pedigree of the other players who have done it!!

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Something to be said about the he quality of competition he faces.
Still

Let's say he goes the the W. Let's say he is only half as effective.He's probably that at least based on his world jr play, Still a dynamically gifted ppg player. Who is still a top prospect and scorer.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Something to be said about the he quality of competition he faces.
Still

Let's say he goes the the W. Let's say he is only half as effective.He's probably that at least based on his world jr play, Still a dynamically gifted ppg player. Who is still a top prospect and scorer.

Why not compare him against guys who were playing against the same competition as him?

Drouin, Mackinnon, Mantha, Duclair, etc. All good players, and Nik has been right with them or better than them.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Also look at the caliber of players who haven't done it.

Compare what Ehlers is doing this year to a guy like Claude Giroux and I have to wipe the drool off my chin. Giroux' stats in his draft plus one year were fantastic. Ehlers are better.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I am honestly amazed that people still hold this idea about the QMJHL....

it's not 1994 anymore.

Lots of research out there to show that the leagues are near parallel. Not to mention he's outscored plenty of players who played in that same infurior league who became absolutely fantastic NHL players.

Where does this idea that Q players don't translate as well come from? I haven't seen anything that resembles research support this conclusion.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I am honestly amazed that people still hold this idea about the QMJHL....

it's not 1994 anymore.

Lots of research out there to show that the leagues are near parallel. Not to mention he's outscored plenty of players who played in that same infurior league who became absolutely fantastic NHL players.

Where does this idea that Q players don't translate as well come from? I haven't seen anything that resembles research support this conclusion.

Please display some of that fine research you speak of sir.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Please display some of that fine research you speak of sir.

Here's a start: http://behindthenet.ca/projecting_to_nhl.html

From that article:

Junior League Parity

Some preliminaries: in the aggregate, there’s no significant difference between the three junior hockey leagues. This table shows the League Difficulty of Juniors relative to the AHL and NHL:

Here's a search to help you get started:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nhl+le...=-1&sk=&cvid=5cd80665965e4319875c53192dc7d5ee

Lots of good work by Gabriel Desjardins and others on the subject.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
So, if Ehlers keeps this point streak up until the end of the season, do we send him down to juniors next year so he can break Lemieux's record?:sarcasm:

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ
I really wish the Moosehead were a little worse and would miss the playoffs altogether. Love to see Ehlers take MPs place for the end of the season and playoffs. No doubt in my mind he would contribute right now for the 2nd line.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Go on...

:(

Many of the comparisons that people are bringing up reference other high level players who've played in the Q. Ehlers is dominating that league, in a manner similar to elite players who learned their craft there.

I'm not going to qualify it, personally. Not sure why there'd be a question mark hanging over one of the most elite upside players this franchise has ever drafted.

Just couldn't help myself Y, but just in case of that very slim chance Ehlers doesn't pan out I've got my bases covered. It's just how I roll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad