News Article: Jets newcomer Devin Setoguchi says Winnipeg feels like a hockey home

Waldo

May 27, 2002
Winnipeg
Visit site
I agree with this. It's just important to note the whole roles chemistry thing as mentione don the last page.

my thoughtis

we had two players who were better performers statistically "not" fit in the system appropriately so realisticly there's just a good a chance Frolik and Seto don't work any better.

it's important to note as these are players chevy "really" went to acquire. If these guys fail to fit the system then we should legitimately be concerned about are GM as he was handed antro, and welly was a sort of "money puck" signing.

Seto's and Froliks inability to fit in our system should send us a warning about our GM/pro scouting, where's a good fit and better production/team performance then antro/welly would be a vote of confidence.

A bit early to start the "Chevy is a failure" talk don't you think?

BizZombie

Jul 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
we've had so many players come in who 'should' score 20 and crap the bed, one of them has to pan out eventually....i'm hoping one of these guys does this year...it would make a huuuuge difference.

if he and frolik can even have average seasons it would be huge....and hopefully jokinnen gets to even 50% of what he can be.

There is good reason to believe that Michael Frolik and Devin Setoguchi should combine for 30 goals and/or 50 points. Combine that production and even a simple regression to the mean for production from Olli Jokinen, and the production increases.

Add that potenital production to that of Mark Scheifele, whether he is centering the second or third line (I am hoping for and fully expecting Mark to seize the second line centre role), and things look quite good.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
The torture test would be if the rookies really impress, and are obviously better than Thorburn and Jokinen. Would Chevy be willing to send them down to St John's to make way for the rookies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The torture test would be if the rookies really impress, and are obviously better than Thorburn and Jokinen. Would Chevy be willing to send them down to St John's to make way for the rookies.

IMHO, Jokinen will never get sent down. Just keep shuffling him down the NHL line-up if necessary - highly doubtful that he's the worst player on this team, even if he repeats his performance from last year.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
IMHO, Jokinen will never get sent down. Just keep shuffling him down the NHL line-up if necessary - highly doubtful that he's the worst player on this team, even if he repeats his performance from last year.
The specific question is where exactly does he stack up against the other centres in camp. Little is obviously better than Jokinen. What do we do if Scheifele and O'Dell impress, and Slater continues his face-off winning prowess? The difference between sending down Wright vs Jokinen are...
  • we probably want to keep Wright (he's an RFA next year)
  • we'd be happy if someone gave us an effectively free compliance buyout by claiming Jokinen on waivers

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Jokinen could also play as a bottom 6 winger if it absolutely came to that.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
IF the team doesn't improve much after 3 years, something will have to give and criticism will flow more freely.

First target for me would be Noel, not Chevy. I'm liking Chevy's moves so far for the most part (relatively inexpensive short term rentals, bridge contracts where necessary, locking up key pieces long term). I'm a little leery on his drafting style, only due to a lack of patience. We've got longer term projects in Scheifele and Morrissey when drafting pretty highly in the draft. I think we'll ultimately be thrilled with these guys but waiting for them sucks. And that's my issue, not Chevy's.

Last edited by a moderator:

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Jokinen could also play as a bottom 6 winger if it absolutely came to that.
Barring injury, I doubt he's going to replace any of Wheeler/Setoguch/Frolik on RW or Ladd/Kane on LW. That leaves maybe replacing Tangradi as #3 LW. I don't really care how much salary Jokinen makes. I want us to ice the best team possible, and make the playoffs.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
IF the team doesn't improve much after 3 years, something will have to give and criticism will flow more freely. I think that's what he is saying.

First target for me would be Noel, not Chevy. I'm liking Chevy's moves so far for the most part (relatively inexpensive short term rentals, bridge contracts where necessary, locking up key pieces long term).
Agree with buggs. Chevy has given Noel the tools to do the job, The real question is whether Noel can use those tools to best advantage. To do a bit of :deadhorse two obvious glaring errors on Noel's part have been...
  • playing Pavelec in back-to-back games where he is known to be even worse than usual
  • dragging down Kane by putting him on a line with Jokinen; and if there were any discipline issues with Burmistrov, remember that last season our other centres included
    • Antropov
    • Wellwood
    • heck, even Slater would've done better
It was Jokinen who belonged in the pressbox, not Burmistrov.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

as truck mentioned its been 3 years.

he knows what he has in a coach.

he knows his coach's system

he knows what he has in his own players.

Frolik and Seto are the players Chevy gave up assets for. They are players he wanted. A good GM doesn't want player that won't fit his teams system and address his current players short comings.

If Frolik and Seto fail to mesh with the team, IMO that is not a fault of theirs, but a fault of whoever identified them as talent we should give up assets to acquire (IE: Kevin Cheveldayoff and our Pro Scouting staff).

Bolding the statement you did while clearly ignoring the context placed before and after it isn't a fair representation of my post.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't want to start up the whole Joki Burmi debate again, ESPECIALLY since its OT for this thread, but I believe the reason Noel kept trotting out Jokinen is because he is a proven commodity in the NHL. He has a long history of producing. I think that Noel knew if we had any chance of making the playoffs he had to get Jokinen going.

I think the Burmistrov benching and subsequent leaving for the KHL involves some confrontations and information that we are not privy to. I am not saying that Noel was correct in his usage of Burmistrov (I don't believe he was) I am just explaining my reasoning.

At any rate, I think that Noel will either get this team into the post season this year or will be fired.

Sorry for the OT ish post.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
As far as I am concerned it's the perfect time to begin criticizing if this team doesn't begin taking steps forward, be it Noel, Cheveldayoff, etc. The onus is now on the Winnipeg Jets, and nobody but.

About a month ago I touched on it, but there are no more excuses as far as I am concerned. This isn't "Atlanta's team" anymore, this isn't "Don Waddell's mistakes", and this isn't "what we were left with after relocation", this is, TNSE and Kevin Cheveldayoffs team, for better or worse. And the expectations and results are now 100% on their shoulders.

There is hardly a player on this roster that Kevin Cheveldayoff has not signed, re-signed, or drafted. The ONLY players on the roster Cheveldayoff has not had to do anything with contract wise is Dustin Byfuglien, Mark Stuart and Chris Thorburn, everyone else has either been acquired, re-signed long-term or drafted by Chevy.

Ladd, Kane, Wheeler, Little, Enstrom, Bogosian, Pavelec have all been given 5+ year contracts by Kevin Cheveldayoff. Clitsome and Slater were given 3 year deals.

The two prized prospects turning pro this season and knocking on the door of the NHL, Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba, are doing so on Kevin Cheveldayoff's watch.

"We have no depth" has been a common complaint in regards to this team since the day it arrived in Winnipeg, however, if it fails this go around, again, that's on Kevin Cheveldayoff. 100%, in my opinion.

Jokinen, Setoguchi, Frolik, Halischuk, Wright, Tangradi, Peluso, Clitsome, Montoya. That's a big part of our depth, our supporting cast. And they were brought in by Chevy.

Kevin Cheveldayoff can now say "I kept key components and parts of this team intact, I assembled the rest. You should be able to coach it to a playoff spot". And if Noel can't... he's as good as gone, in my opinion.

Claude Noel was even given a "lame duck" extension. That tells me all I need to know in regards to expectations this year from the management group of this team. It tells me they believe in the roster assembled in that it can be a playoff team, and either Noel will coach them there, or he won't. If this team doesn't make some serious progress in the standings and make the playoffs (or at the least miss by a hair and have some pretty damn good excuses...), Noel is gone, in my opinion.

I love this, I love that the expectations and results can now be pinned directly on those running and operating the Winnipeg Jets. No more excuses, because this team, right from top to bottom, to the coach, to the GM, has been put in place by TNSE. Now we're really going to see what this group as a whole, are made of. I think if things go poorly from here on out, there will be consequences. I like that.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Agree with buggs. Chevy has given Noel the tools to do the job, The real question is whether Noel can use those tools to best advantage. To do a bit of :deadhorse two obvious glaring errors on Noel's part have been...
  • playing Pavelec in back-to-back games where he is known to be even worse than usual
  • dragging down Kane by putting him on a line with Jokinen; and if there were any discipline issues with Burmistrov, remember that last season our other centres included
    • Antropov
    • Wellwood
    • heck, even Slater would've done better
It was Jokinen who belonged in the pressbox, not Burmistrov.

If those glaring errors are 100% to blame for the team's lack of success:
  • Chevy hired Noel
  • Chevy watched them happen and didn't step in
  • Chevy extended Noel

If the team flops, Noel is likely gone. That doesn't remove culpability from the GM or chill and every hottening seat.

Hopefully the team kicks ass and this all becomes moot, but there will definitely be more pressure on Chevy if the season doesn't go well.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
First target for me would be Noel, not Chevy. I'm liking Chevy's moves so far for the most part (relatively inexpensive short term rentals, bridge contracts where necessary, locking up key pieces long term). I'm a little leery on his drafting style, only due to a lack of patience. We've got longer term projects in Scheifele and Morrissey when drafting pretty highly in the draft. I think we'll ultimately be thrilled with these guys but waiting for them sucks. And that's my issue, not Chevy's.

In my opinion, Chevys strength has been in the draft and in particular after the first round. I suspect that Schiefele and Morrissey will both end up as "misses" but Olsen (160), Trouba (9) Petan (43) Lowry (67) seem like incredible steals. Kosmachuck, Lipon and Kichton also look like good picks.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
In my opinion, Chevys strength has been in the draft and in particular after the first round. I suspect that Schiefele and Morrissey will both end up as "misses" but Olsen (160), Trouba (9) Petan (43) Lowry (67) seem like incredible steals. Kosmachuck, Lipon and Kichton also look like good picks.

If you miss on 2 of 3 first round picks - your strength probably isn't drafting.

I also fail to see how some of those names you mentioned are more likely to make the cut. They aren't.

Teams need to hit on their 1s and pull an average of at least one more player per draft to get anywhere.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

How can Scheifele and Morrissey become misses when they're already better players than everybody else you mentioned excluding Trouba.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
Why would any GM be on the hotseat for not firing a coach after 2 years unless they have a .300 record or something? 3 years is a fair shake; anything less makes you look like a bad place to work for.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
If the team struggles this year then Noel will be gone and Chevy will be given another chance to find a coach that can get this team into the playoffs. If that coach also struggles then it'll be time to reevaluate Chevy. He's got at least a few more years I would think.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Why would any GM be on the hotseat for not firing a coach after 2 years unless they have a .300 record or something? 3 years is a fair shake; anything less makes you look like a bad place to work for.

Waaaay too simplistic a view. There are many many different factors to consider there.

If you are hiring a coach to a championship team and they miss PLAYOFFS, then you have a legit case to fire him after just one season, IMO.

That does not AT ALL make it look like a bad place to work for. It makes you look like a place that demands the top level. If you fail miserably, it will not be tolerated.

Noel got a team that was right on the cusp of making playoffs that was building to make playoffs. And he has COMPLETELY failed to take the team to the next level. That is the problem. He is on his last remaining leg, IMO. You cannot be a team that accepts mediocrity, THAT makes you look like a bad place to work for.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
If the team struggles this year then Noel will be gone and Chevy will be given another chance to find a coach that can get this team into the playoffs. If that coach also struggles then it'll be time to reevaluate Chevy. He's got at least a few more years I would think.

I think you're exactly right.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
How can Scheifele and Morrissey become misses when they're already better players than everybody else you mentioned excluding Trouba.

I'm calling Scheifele a miss based on being selected so high, ahead of Brodin, Couturier, Hamilton, Baertschi etc. I have no doubt that he will play in the NHL, but not as legit top 6 forward IMO. As for Morrissey..............who knows what he'll become. I'm still baffled by that pick.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm calling Scheifele a miss based on being selected so high, ahead of Brodin, Couturier, Hamilton, Baertschi etc. I have no doubt that he will play in the NHL, but not as legit top 6 forward IMO. As for Morrissey..............who knows what he'll become. I'm still baffled by that pick.

Why were you baffled by Morrisey? Not trolling you just curious because as far as I can tell he was clearly in the mix after Domi went off the board. Seems like there was a very big 'tier" after about 12 in this draft? Who would you have chosen ahead of him?

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
If those glaring errors are 100% to blame for the team's lack of success:
  • Chevy hired Noel
  • Chevy watched them happen and didn't step in
  • Chevy extended Noel

If the team flops, Noel is likely gone. That doesn't remove culpability from the GM or chill and every hottening seat.
"All other things being equal", if Noel had played Montoya (when not hurt) on back-to-backs, and used any centre BUT Jokinen, with Kane, the Jets should've had the extra couple of wins to get into the playoffs. Hopefully Chevy has a talk with Noel about these issues this off-season.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Why were you baffled by Morrisey? Not trolling you just curious because as far as I can tell he was clearly in the mix after Domi went off the board. Seems like there was a very big 'tier" after about 12 in this draft? Who would you have chosen ahead of him?

Wennberg, Zadorov, Lazar, Mantha, Gauthier, Shinkaruk to name a few. In particular, if they wanted a defenseman they should have taken the monster Zadorov out of London. he is significantly ahead of Morrisey right now.

Just my opinion though..............and that of most "experts"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad