News Article: Jets newcomer Devin Setoguchi says Winnipeg feels like a hockey home

651*

Assuming you guys paid the right price for him he should be a good pickup for you guys and I think he will look right in a Jets uni. He could post 30 or so goals on the right line and if he heats up, but expect more around 20.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Assuming you guys paid the right price for him he should be a good pickup for you guys and I think he will look right in a Jets uni. He could post 30 or so goals on the right line and if he heats up, but expect more around 20.

Well, that sounds awesome! Hopefully we do find the right line for him.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Well, that sounds awesome! Hopefully we do find the right line for him.

Seems sort of obvious. Just an issue of whether we can provide a centre for that line that will perform to expectations, be it Scheifele or Jokinen.

Wouldn't that be a marvelous sight for Jets 2.0? Two actual lines that can put the puck in the net with regularity. Oh. I feel a flutter coming on.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Seems sort of obvious. Just an issue of whether we can provide a centre for that line that will perform to expectations, be it Scheifele or Jokinen.

Wouldn't that be a marvelous sight for Jets 2.0? Two actual lines that can put the puck in the net with regularity. Oh. I feel a flutter coming on.

Please remain calm, breathe into this paper bag and put your head between your knees.
Lets not go getting all hopeful here, nothing like setting the bar high and then have it come crashing down. ;):sarcasm:

le.jpg

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Considering some of the slugs the Jets have dressed as forwards the past two seasons a 20 goal scorer will be a welcome addition.;)

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Please remain calm, breathe into this paper bag and put your head between your knees.
Lets not go getting all hopeful here, nothing like setting the bar high and then have it come crashing down. ;):sarcasm:

Ok, I'm better now. Thanks for the assist...

Buff is fat.
Kane kicks puppies.
Ladd is a third line hack.

Whew. Back to normal expectations.

651*

Ok, I'm better now. Thanks for the assist...

Buff is fat.
Kane kicks puppies.
Ladd is a third line hack.

Whew. Back to normal expectations.

Buff lost a lot of weight. Check the USA roster thread for a pic of him. Unless you were being sarcastic about that. ;)

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
After seeing what many of the UFA's went for on the market ($8 mil 4th line in Nashville :rolleyes:), he could become the steal of the summer.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Considering some of the slugs the Jets have dressed as forwards the past two seasons a 20 goal scorer will be a welcome addition.;)

Gooch has scored 36, 41 and 36 points over his last 3 full seasons.

Antropov scored 35, 41 and 67

Wellwood scored 47 in 2011-12

Gooch obviously brings a different package (more goals / less playmaking) and has some more upside, but it isn't like he is a huge upgrade over these slugs. I mean dude got demoted to the 3rd line of the wild last year - albeit with solid results.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Wasn't Antro a top 6 guy last three seasons? Wasn't Gooch bottom 6?

Hard to just compare points.

its not a point comparison either. Seto's been a relatively suspec posession player.

I love his goal scorign as much as the next guy, and with the right center between him and kane i think it gives us a real good 2nd line.

but it's fair to say seto has far less utility then Antropov and i don't think per minute production is not significantly better.

But garret makes a good point about styles, i can see Seto's style working much better.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Are Glass and Mason the only Jets UFA from the last couple seasons who ended up playing in the NHL?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Buff lost a lot of weight. Check the USA roster thread for a pic of him. Unless you were being sarcastic about that. ;)

Yea we new he had lost some weight! Do you have a link to the USA roster thread....I am not sure where it is? thx

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg

Unless Ladd is suddenly on our third line and Kane's actually kicking puppies, I'm pretty sure he was.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I think the fit may be better in that Setoguchi and Frolik may provide more of what this team needs fitting into certain defined roles, which is key in my opinion. I honestly never felt like Antropov or Burmistrov quite fit in here, for whatever reason.

At the end of the day I think Setoguchi gives us the "goal scoring" (not just talking points here) winger we haven't had and Frolik (behind Wheeler and Setuguchi as 3rd line RW) can give us some great defensive play, very solid PK minutes, and perhaps some 3rd line depth scoring in and around 10-15 goals. I personally like the fit here, I like the look of things. I like that these players can slide into defined roles. Teams need roles, in my opinion, and we've been an open book in that department the last couple seasons, all over the map, really.

Myself, I just don't think Burmistrov or Antropov were or are a fit here. That's just my opinion, of course.

Going off history, we are in all likelihood going to get 20-25 goals from Setoguchi. I just don't envision Antropov or Burmistrov as 20-25 goal scorers in the NHL right now, and in my opinion we need goals from our top 6 and also from our PP.

Setoguchi scored 13 in 48 games last season, 4 less than Kane in the same amount of games, 19 goals in 69 games (2011-2012), 22 goals in 72 games (2010-2011) and 20 goals in 70 games (2009-2010). All with realistic and attainable shooting %.

There is no doubt in my mind we're getting a more productive goal scoring RW in Setoguchi than either Antropov or Burmistrov could be, probably combined at this point, on this team, in my opinion. So long as Setoguchi plays 70 games, I think he'll score us 20 goals. If he plays close to a full season, 25 goals is in reach. I also think he'll help our PP as he gives us another pretty legit scoring option from the wing.

We should have a 20-25 goal scoring winger in Setoguchi. I can't bring myself to feel comfortable thinking the same for Antropov or Burmistrov if they were here.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think the fit may be better in that Setoguchi and Frolik may provide more of what this team needs fitting into certain defined roles, which is key in my opinion. I honestly never felt like Antropov or Burmistrov quite fit in here, for whatever reason.

At the end of the day I think Setoguchi gives us the "goal scoring" (not just talking points here) winger we haven't had and Frolik (behind Wheeler and Setuguchi as 3rd line RW) can give us some great defensive play, very solid PK minutes, and perhaps some 3rd line depth scoring in and around 10-15 goals. I personally like the fit here, I like the look of things. I like that these players can slide into defined roles. Teams need roles, in my opinion, and we've been an open book in that department the last couple seasons, all over the map, really.

Myself, I just don't think Burmistrov and more so Antropov were or are a fit here. That's just my opinion, of course.

Going off history, we are in all likelihood going to get 20-25 goals from Setoguchi. I just don't envision Antropov or Burmistrov as 20-25 goal scorers in the NHL right now, and in my opinion we need goals from our top 6 and also from our PP.

Setoguchi scored 13 in 48 games last season, 4 less than Kane in the same amount of games, 19 goals in 69 games (2011-2012), 22 goals in 72 games (2010-2011) and 20 goals in 70 games (2009-2010). All with realistic and attainable shooting %.

There is no doubt in my mind we're getting a more productive goal scoring RW in Setoguchi than either Antropov or Burmistrov could be, probably combined at this point, on this team, in my opinion. So long as Setoguchi plays 70 games, I think he'll score us 20 goals. If he plays close to a full season, 25 goals is in reach. I also think he'll help our PP as he gives us another pretty legit scoring option from the wing.

We should have a 20-25 goal scoring winger in Setoguchi. I can't bring myself to feel comfortable thinking the same for Antropov or Burmistrov if they were here. And Wellwood surely isn't a goal scorer.
There may be something to the role thing, but roles are granted by the coach. Switching out players doesn't guarantee a fix.

As for goals versus assists - there is some value there, but assists are important. Assists lead to goals and IMO the Jets probably have a greater need for passers than shooters - especially on the powerplay. Gaining the zone and maintaining the zone are the key. Kane gains the zone, Kane shoots, but there is no passer.

Who is going to pass to Gooch or Kane on PP2? Will Gooch be better than Antro was on the boards? Gooch can finish, but I still worry about possession and passing. My hope is that he can pickup Kane's garbage and bang in a bunch of rebounds.

It will be interesting to see how they gel together, but I worry about chemistry. Scheifele needs to be ready.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm not worried about chemistry. I can't see how it could be any worse than it was previous years. We've basically been a one line team until now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad