News Article: Jets newcomer Devin Setoguchi says Winnipeg feels like a hockey home

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
There may be something to the role thing, but roles are granted by the coach. Switching out players doesn't guarantee a fix.

Absolutely, but the fact is, in my opinion, is Setoguchi is a legit goal scorer at a top 6 clip. We haven't had that. Sure, Wellwood scored 18 2 seasons ago, but I don't personally feel comfortable with Antropov, Wellwood or Burmistrov in our top 6 given our mix and their lack of consistency scoring goals. We need a goal scorer and in my opinion Setoguchi has the tools to be that guy. Will he be? we will see.

As for goals versus assists - there is some value there, but assists are important. Assists lead to goals and IMO the Jets probably have a greater need for passers than shooters - especially on the powerplay. Gaining the zone and maintaining the zone are the key. Kane gains the zone, Kane shoots, but there is no passer.

Completely agree, I've always said the same thing. We need both playmaking and goalscoring, in my opinion. I believe the Jets need a 20-25 goal scorer to help carry the load from Ladd, Kane, Wheeler and Little. We must however get solid play from our no. 2 center spot via Jokinen or Scheifele, that will be important to, I agree. And we'll need an element of playmaking given Kane and Setoguchi can shoot.

Who is going to pass to Gooch or Kane on PP2? Will Gooch be better than Antro was on the boards? Gooch can finish, but I still worry about possession and passing. My hope is that he can pickup Kane's garbage and bang in a bunch of rebounds.

It will be interesting to see how they gel together, but I worry about chemistry. Scheifele needs to be ready.

Valid points. I hope it'll sort itself out, honestly. My hopes/worries as of now are the same as yours. We have an odd mix, really, when it comes to goal scorers and playmakers. Jokinen is an odd duck but he'll need to find some way here to produce and there is indeed pressure on Scheifele to do the same at this point.

Nothing is a given, that's for sure. Things could go smoothly, or they could not. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised at either outcome.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yep, in 2 months time we could be discussing what the heck is wrong with this team and what needs to happen to fix it. I've been feeling really optimistic for the past month - don't exactly know why, but it just feels like there's been a change with the team. I think we're going to make the play-offs this year...but I could very easily be wrong.

651*

Yea we new he had lost some weight! Do you have a link to the USA roster thread....I am not sure where it is? thx

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1390727&page=39

BQZlsNcCQAAibgo.jpg

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
That pics old news. Buff's already morphed into fat buff again based on recent pictoral evidence. :)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

This was the photo that had our board opptomitic but the interview he had on Jets TV from Lake Placid seemed to indicate he might have peaked with this photo and put on a bit of weight again.

We shall see he has been affective as BIG BUFF....I was hoping got Big Buff 265 ish to see how that might play itself out but we shall see when camp starts.

651*

He was almost MVP in '10 for the Hawks as a forward when he was what some might consider "heavy." Why he was ever moved back to defense when he proved so effective is beyond me. Meh.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
He was almost MVP in '10 for the Hawks as a forward when he was what some might consider "heavy." Why he was ever moved back to defense when he proved so effective is beyond me. Meh.

Because Buff at D has been proven more effective than Buff at F... despite how people feel it is different because of a hot streak during the playoffs.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

He is a better as a high end defenceman as opposed to a bottom end forward

651*

I haven't seen enough of him at D but I do know he will make the U.S. roster as a D. Hopefully they employ his big ass frame in front of opponents on the PP though because he is very effective in that position.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I haven't seen enough of him at D but I do know he will make the U.S. roster as a D. Hopefully they employ his big ass frame in front of opponents on the PP though because he is very effective in that position.

He plays as a defenseman on the PP for us but he does tend to go down low if he can make a play, on both 5v5 and 5v4.

The thing is if he does this too often he'll get caught on the back check, and he's usually one of the last to get back in to the defensive zone if the play gets broken up.

651*

Oh, okay. I won't hijack your thread anymore.

Cheers from your southern border neighbor. See you this season and best of luck with Seto.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
On the subject of Seto and his line. I was listening to an interview with Dave Tippett and one thing he mentioned is that he does not really have lines of 3 players, he has groups of 2 that work well together. A center and a winger that play very well together or 2 wings that have good chemistry. The 3rd player on the line will change from game to game or week to week depending on who is going good at that time. Considering how successful Tippetts teams have been its seems to be at least a decent idea. I would be very interested in seeing WOWY tables for LLW in groupings of 2 to see if any of those combinations are particularly more potent.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Oh, okay. I won't hijack your thread anymore.

Cheers from your southern border neighbor. See you this season and best of luck with Seto.

No problem 651 it was great of you to drop by!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
On the subject of Seto and his line. I was listening to an interview with Dave Tippett and one thing he mentioned is that he does not really have lines of 3 players, he has groups of 2 that work well together. A center and a winger that play very well together or 2 wings that have good chemistry. The 3rd player on the line will change from game to game or week to week depending on who is going good at that time. Considering how successful Tippetts teams have been its seems to be at least a decent idea. I would be very interested in seeing WOWY tables for LLW in groupings of 2 to see if any of those combinations are particularly more potent.

Great post Wpgpage

To build on this I heard Hitch say the same thing last season in an interview about pairs of forwards not lines. Think of the great Oiler dynasty and it was pairs of forwards.......Kurri Gretz and Mess and Anderson......that was the core and other guys rotated in and out with those two pairs depending on how they were rolling.

I heard Messier mention on H and L a while back when discussing Kane that the next big step for Evander would be finding "A" player that he develops chemistry with. He mentioned that once he and Andy started clicking they always new what the other one was going to do and they could start to anticipate. Mess loves Kane's game (size, compete level, talent) and said when EK finds a line mate his game will hit the next level where he can do more give and go's and play more without the puck.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
ps241: I swear it's going to be Scheifele that finds chemistry with Kane. Camara is Kane light, and those two worked so well together.

Fingers crossed, glass half full, etc.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Setoguchi scored 13 in 48 games last season, 4 less than Kane in the same amount of games, 19 goals in 69 games (2011-2012), 22 goals in 72 games

when you convert stats from Wild players, you must multiply their point total by 1.4 to get the true # on any other NHL team

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
ps241: I swear it's going to be Scheifele that finds chemistry with Kane. Camara is Kane light, and those two worked so well together.

Fingers crossed, glass half full, etc.

That is definatley my hope YWGinYYZ (actually it is beyond hope)! :laugh: Mark seems to be the kind of guy that can work pretty well with different styles. I really prey they click at some point because if they have chemistry we are set. Mark is really dangerous and a natural point producer so I think there is a shot he is the guy :help::help::crossfing:crossfing

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
we've had so many players come in who 'should' score 20 and crap the bed, one of them has to pan out eventually....i'm hoping one of these guys does this year...it would make a huuuuge difference.

if he and frolik can even have average seasons it would be huge....and hopefully jokinnen gets to even 50% of what he can be.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
It might be blasphemy to even think about splitting up LLW, but under the scenario that both Kane and Seto are "shooters", I wonder if there is merit to trying something like this out at some point in the season:

Ladd - Little - Seto
Kane - Scheifele - Wheeler

Seto's got the speed to play with Little, and could be the shooter on that line. Wheeler and Kane have played well together (that I can remember, maybe the numbers indicate otherwise?), and is a good playmaker.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
we've had so many players come in who 'should' score 20 and crap the bed, one of them has to pan out eventually....i'm hoping one of these guys does this year...it would make a huuuuge difference.

if he and frolik can even have average seasons it would be huge....and hopefully jokinnen gets to even 50% of what he can be.

I agree with this. It's just important to note the whole roles chemistry thing as mentione don the last page.

my thoughtis

we had two players who were better performers statistically "not" fit in the system appropriately so realisticly there's just a good a chance Frolik and Seto don't work any better.

it's important to note as these are players chevy "really" went to acquire. If these guys fail to fit the system then we should legitimately be concerned about are GM as he was handed antro, and welly was a sort of "money puck" signing.

Seto's and Froliks inability to fit in our system should send us a warning about our GM/pro scouting, where's a good fit and better production/team performance then antro/welly would be a vote of confidence.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
It might be blasphemy to even think about splitting up LLW, but under the scenario that both Kane and Seto are "shooters", I wonder if there is merit to trying something like this out at some point in the season:

Ladd - Little - Seto
Kane - Scheifele - Wheeler

Seto's got the speed to play with Little, and could be the shooter on that line. Wheeler and Kane have played well together (that I can remember, maybe the numbers indicate otherwise?), and is a good playmaker.

I think Noel would be a fool not to at least try some of these combos in training camp / pre-season. I actually like those combos. With Little and Ladds improving defensive capabilities, having Seto on that line could help him out a bit as he has said to not be as good on the defensive side. Meanwhile we have Wheeler with Kane which I believe they had some success with before. I see this as more of a 1A and 1B situation which I think could be a great thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad