Jets need more from Pavelec — much more

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yep, we do.

IMO, show Noel the door, start looking for another starter while giving Montoya more starts. Pavelec isn't getting it done right now, and he needs to be accountable for his play.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
After the TO I was calling for a change. I am sorry Pavs is not getting it done. We are 3 years in and there is no improvement.

With that contract he has no trade value only a buyout would be possible. Bring in Bryz!

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
After the TO I was calling for a change. I am sorry Pavs is not getting it done. We are 3 years in and there is no improvement.

With that contract he has no trade value only a buyout would be possible. Bring in Bryz!

Something Bryzgalov said a few years ago makes me think he's not going to sign here.

But we do need somebody to make Pavelec expendable.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Wonder if MacT could be convinced that all Pavelec needs is a change of scenery and we swap him for Dubnyk straight up :)

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Well that fixes nothing, I just want to see him take a slap shot and not drop to his knees and give up the top corner, just once! (in game)

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Wonder if MacT could be convinced that all Pavelec needs is a change of scenery and we swap him for Dubnyk straight up :)

That puts us right back where we started. Dubnyk is not great either, he's been benched in Edmonton.

We're stuck with Pavelec for awhile. That contract is unmovable, and the team would be silly to pay a high end goalie and keep Pavelec on the books as well. The best thing this team can do is develop a younger guy to take over.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Montoya is 28 and has only started 66 NHL games. Lets give him a shot to compete for the #1 spot. At this point the Jets really have nothing to lose. Pavs is having a rough time. Rarely a big save and his rebound control is atrocious at times.

Make Pavs compete for the #1 job.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
i dont understand how collectively we are so terrible season after season. Perhaps we are untalented. Add an AHL coach, and losing mentality to it and you have this.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
That puts us right back where we started. Dubnyk is not great either, he's been benched in Edmonton.

We're stuck with Pavelec for awhile. That contract is unmovable, and the team would be silly to pay a high end goalie and keep Pavelec on the books as well. The best thing this team can do is develop a younger guy to take over.

your second point contradicts your first

even though Dubnyk has historically been better than Pavs on a worse defensive team, the main reason I would like this to happen is that he's a UFA

sign a UFA starter to a short term deal in the offseason to bridge the gap - hell sign 2 backups with upside (Khudobin, Greisse, Scrivens)

sadly MacT isn't dumb enough to take on "the contract" so it's a pipedream on my part

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Montoya is 28 and has only started 66 NHL games. Lets give him a shot to compete for the #1 spot. At this point the Jets really have nothing to lose. Pavs is having a rough time. Rarely a big save and his rebound control is atrocious at times.

That is the very simple solution right in front of our face.

IMHO at the very worst Montoya gives us the same level goaltending that Pavelec is. What could it hurt? It costs the team nothing and we aren't winning anyways. Let him play, he's at least earned that.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
your second point contradicts your first

even though Dubnyk has historically been better than Pavs on a worse defensive team, the main reason I would like this to happen is that he's a UFA

sign a UFA starter to a short term deal in the offseason to bridge the gap - hell sign 2 backups with upside (Khudobin, Greisse, Scrivens)

sadly MacT isn't dumb enough to take on "the contract" so it's a pipedream on my part

Yep I agree here. Duby btw has had a league average sv% on a worse team in his career, minus this years struggle. I think he might have just grown tired of the Edmonton circus.

If we could swap Pav and Duby I'd do it in a second. At the very least he continues to suck and we cut him free at the end of the year, and can go get a legit starter.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
No one is taking the bait on asking why is Lawless interested in scoring chances and who he is working with to get this info? :P

Well, I feel like you've mentioned that you've been talking to/working with Lawless before, no? Either way, it's definitely nice to see him writing with the stats to back up his arguments, and not just because he's finally agreeing with me :laugh:

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
I was wondering why you posted that article.

This is one of the more higher-profile "calling out"s of Pavelec since the Jets arrived, isn't it?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always had the impression that aside from stats guys, everyone in the mainstream thought Pavelec was a great goalie and the skaters were the problem.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
This is one of the more higher-profile "calling out"s of Pavelec since the Jets arrived, isn't it?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always had the impression that aside from stats guys, everyone in the mainstream thought Pavelec was a great goalie and the skaters were the problem.

A few posters on here have been getting pretty aggressive with the local media lately on the usual fluff stuff. It's interesting watching things on twitter sometimes. Have we changed their opinion? I have no idea. Better late than never.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
A few posters on here have been getting pretty aggressive with the local media lately on the usual fluff stuff. It's interesting watching things on twitter sometimes. Have we changed their opinion? I have no idea. Better late than never.

I know of 3 media members that have straight up told me their views on Pavelec changed because of that huge summer article I wrote.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

100% agree my friend. What's the worst that can happen? I would rather it be someone else but these are the guys we have for now so I would run them both as 1b v 1b and you eat what you kill....always split B2B's but after that you go with the hot hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad