OT: Jets Lounge: Winds of Winter (no Star Wars spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
My uncle's a day trader on the side. He's trying to teach me. The teacher on Charlie Brown would give you a good visual on how much I'm picking up. I think I need another coffee

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Random thoughts for today...

1. Ninja cyclist season has begun again - not a lot of people riding this morning because of the rain but I was the only guy out there in the dark with lights on in the dark. Hey folks, if you get hit, it's gonna be your fault. Welcome to fall.

2. Why is it the guy in your football pool that always complains about nobody trading is the guy that puts forward trade proposals like the following:

Him: Christine Michael + Devonta Freeman for:
Me: Melvin Gordon + Spencer Ware.

Yes, neither of my guys are guaranteed to duplicate their week 1 success but help me out here, what's the value in return? Freeman in a full on time share and Michael with no guarantee to be the starter? Combined for less than 100 yards between the two of them and no scores? :shakehead

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
I think that Winnipeg could support being a minor league team for an MLB team but there are so many US cities that can fill that role better which sucks. I wish we could get at least double A ball back, I'd be far more likely to get into it then. Independant ball is just too inconsistent and mistake filled for me to really enjoy.

I think Winnipeg would support it fine too. Had no idea how deep the MLB farm system goes - looks like Twins have 7 minor league affiliates?? Something I'm missing here at all?

One thing thats interesting is St.Paul has higher attendance than Goldeyes - strange considering all the teams in MSP area (Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves, Wild, etc) - must be a reason for that when Laredo, TX and Joplin, MO can't even get 1000.

What inconsistencies and mistakes are you referring to? Players or league management stuff?

Part of the reason I go to so many games is because its a 15 minute walk to Shaw Park from where I live - I went enough earlier to start following it this season and now am pretty hooked.

AngelicAssassin*

1. Ninja cyclist season has begun again - not a lot of people riding this morning because of the rain but I was the only guy out there in the dark with lights on in the dark. Hey folks, if you get hit, it's gonna be your fault. Welcome to fall.

2. Why is it the guy in your football pool that always complains about nobody trading is the guy that puts forward trade proposals like the following:

Yes, neither of my guys are guaranteed to duplicate their week 1 success but help me out here, what's the value in return? Freeman in a full on time share and Michael with no guarantee to be the starter? Combined for less than 100 yards between the two of them and no scores? :shakehead

1)On the subject of cyclists one of my biggest pet peeve is cyclists on sidewalks, especially those that think they are in a race. I DO NOT CARE what anybody's excuse or reason is for doing it, if mommy won't let you ride your bike on the strett then you need to stay home and play with your dollies.

Fortunately I and the little woman live out in the bush so I no longer experience it on a regular basis but when we make our trips in to the city for shopping appointments, etc and we can't teleport we do want on sidewalks and encounter these people almost every time we come into the city.

I have to resist clotheslining them as they go by because well i guess I could lose an arm but it takes a lot of will power. Especially those who have the nerve to say get out of the way as they wiz by.

On a related note i no longer move out of the way for someone coming at me who isn't watching where they are going because their nose is buried in their cell phone or ipod or whatever electronic thing they are playing with. Then I beg them to say something after they get knocked on their can.

Too many people out there living in their own little orbit. WAKE UP!

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I know there is a beer thread but no one over there drinks Bud.:) Has anyone seen the red light glasses in beer cases yet?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I know there is a beer thread but no one over there drinks Bud.:) Has anyone seen the red light glasses in beer cases yet?

Not true. I drink Budweiser, it's a very good beer. :D

budweiser_budvar_cans_500ml.jpg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Sounds like a candidate for a poster on this site you just need to get him a GPS with directions to the main board trade threads and a copy of the urban dictionary with the letters AINEC highlighted. ;)

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

He knows both of his players aren't going anywhere... Michael will not take over for Rawls and Freeman won't duplicate last season with Coleman getting worked in.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
1)On the subject of cyclists one of my biggest pet peeve is cyclists on sidewalks, especially those that think they are in a race. I DO NOT CARE what anybody's excuse or reason is for doing it, if mommy won't let you ride your bike on the strett then you need to stay home and play with your dollies.

Fortunately I and the little woman live out in the bush so I no longer experience it on a regular basis but when we make our trips in to the city for shopping appointments, etc and we can't teleport we do want on sidewalks and encounter these people almost every time we come into the city.

I have to resist clotheslining them as they go by because well i guess I could lose an arm but it takes a lot of will power. Especially those who have the nerve to say get out of the way as they wiz by.

On a related note i no longer move out of the way for someone coming at me who isn't watching where they are going because their nose is buried in their cell phone or ipod or whatever electronic thing they are playing with. Then I beg them to say something after they get knocked on their can.

Too many people out there living in their own little orbit. WAKE UP!

I'm an odd cyclist. I actually try to obey the rules. Weird things like stopping at stop signs and red lights. I should qualify that stopping doesn't always mean foot down, full stop - I will if need be but if there's no traffic it's a slow roll through. But I've adapted the notion that a car passing in front of me means I'm very unlikely to be hit when I go behind them. So I'll almost always yield to a car, only going when they wave me through.

I'm lucky though in that my route doesn't spend much time going along major routes, mostly across them. So I've got an assortment of paths and suburban streets that I'm mostly traversing.

One unfortunate aspect of the city's half baked ideas towards cycling is that some of the bike routes incorporate short stretches of sidewalk where it's actually legal to ride. It's nice that they've tried to accommodate cyclists to a degree but some of the things are just strange. Pembina Highway's little lanes that veer up behind the bus stops? Yeah, just asking for a pedestrian-cyclist collision.

The whole phone/headphones thing is completely pervasive among cyclists as well. I'd love to be listening to music while I ride, it would make it much more enjoyable. I just can't bring myself to eliminate one of my senses though when I'm riding. But I'd guess 90% of the cyclists I see have headphones in. Quite a few are looking at their screen now too while they ride but I reckon that's just inviting Darwin to come calling.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Goldeyes advance to the Championship. Won 2 straight in St. Paul to comeback and win the series.

2 More games at Shaw Park - Wed and Thurs - before series goes down to Wichita. Gonna try to go down Wednesday and Thursday to grab a couple good ol Angry Fish beers.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
One of my fantasy football teams lost cause the Rams D couldn't get 3 points, the other lost by 1.3 points while scoring the 3rd most points in a 12 man league....ahhh fantasy football, how I missed you.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
One of my fantasy football teams lost cause the Rams D couldn't get 3 points, the other lost by 1.3 points while scoring the 3rd most points in a 12 man league....ahhh fantasy football, how I missed you.

I had the 4th lowest score but was facing the guy with the lowest score. This is one of those rare times where it's in my favour. :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I disagree completely. All cyclists should be on sidewalks (except maybe right downtown where they have bike routes). Cyclists on the road are very very dangerous. And I look at it like this. If a car hits a cyclist, cyclist is likely dead. Cyclist hits a pedestrian you have maybe some scraps and bruises. Far safer away from roads.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

I had the 4th lowest score but was facing the guy with the lowest score. This is one of those rare times where it's in my favour. :laugh:

2-0 in my leagues. Meant to only do one but I somehow didn't hit mock draft and hit live draft instead but ended up with Antonio Brown, LeVeon Bell, and a bunch of other studs so I decided I'll keep trying in it.

In my other league I drafted Gronk then Charles... put them into my line-up... and won :laugh: thank you Adrian Peterson, Gary Barnidge and Russell Wilson :laugh:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I disagree completely. All cyclists should be on sidewalks (except maybe right downtown where they have bike routes). Cyclists on the road are very very dangerous. And I look at it like this. If a car hits a cyclist, cyclist is likely dead. Cyclist hits a pedestrian you have maybe some scraps and bruises. Far safer away from roads.

As a pedestrian...I have been hit by a bike and it ****ing sucks...

I don't disagree or anything. I just wanted you all to know that I got hit by some asshat on a bike when I was 6.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

I'm somewhere in the middle. The zoom zoom ninja bike messenger types should stick to the roads. However, there are a lot of older, slower cyclists that should be on the sidewalks. The key is to ride slowly and respectfully of pedestrians, and keep in mind drivers don't (nor should they have to) expect to see someone zipping along a sidewalk. Many roads and lanes approach another road with extremely limited views of the sidewalk, due to buildings and fences close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad