Post-Game Talk: Jets lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Post-game player audio: Wheeler, Mason, Morrissey and Connor.

Coach Maurice post-game scrum topics: Analysis of tonight’s game. How does he explain the team not showing up. On Brendan Lemieux’s recall. On the play of Steve Mason. Is it surprising to see some of the culprits for turnovers? On the Jets lack of power play opportunities. On the team not having “jump”. What were the early indications of the team not having “jump”? Was he surprised? What did he think of Kyle Connor?

To listen click here.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
mo isnt wrong in that they tried to do to much and made the extra pass or deke and it ruined alot of chances creating turnovers. ill give him that. but still he needs to learn to adjust faster

They were f***ing terrible at creating chances and managing the puck all night. It was horrible to watch. I stopped watching after it became 3-1, because I've seen this song and dance before.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
It's interesting that there has been a lot of talk about how Laine isn't playing very well, but him and nik are far and above everyone else in GS/60 in the first 6 games, and Laine is 5th in CF% too.

Last edited:
Reactions: roccerfeller

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
It's interesting that there has been a lot of talk about how Laine isn't playing very well, but him and nik are far and above everyone else in GS/60, and Laine is 5th in CF% too.

Most of his chances seem low quality with 3 defenders on top of him.

Its great he is doing well in advances stats but id take him doing great in actual stats over that any day..obviously both great at the same time would be optimal

Reactions: 204hockey

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thought Columbus did a great job of remaining tough and patient and capitalizing on our turnovers. Mason held us in for half a game but the boys never woke up and he faded after the 3rd goal but the game was long over.

Ehlers and Wheels with three plays that led to goals.

Some positives

Maurice tweaked the top six as per many of our requests and it helped.

Connor was good.

Is this team really 3-3

We may suck so far but the sample size is small.

Not so positive

We have looked good in one game so far this season

My eye test tells me Columbus owned us. Not only that they looked to be in a different class than us.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I felt the Jets were lucky to win in their previous game against Carolina. They were outworked that game and didn't really deserve to win. They were outworked again tonight against Columbus and the outcome was more obvious this time. It just seems like something is missing. Perhaps they should try playing Laine with Ehlers and Scheifele and move Wheeler onto Little's line. I think Laine would be more productive playing with Ehlers because of his skill level. It's definitely worth a try before firing the coach or trading someone.

:jets

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Most of his chances seem low quality with 3 defenders on top of him.

Its great he is doing well in advances stats but id take him doing great in actual stats over that any day..obviously both great at the same time would be optimal

Game score counts in goals, assists, goals for, goals against, shots, blocks, corsi, ect, so it reflects actual stats pretty well

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Oh 500 shocking!
It’s quite apparent that the game has passed Maurice by.
If Chevy doesn’t can Paul’s ass by late November then its obvious this club needs a hockey ops guy.
The naïveté is interesting indeed at ownership level.
It’s a possibility that Vegas laps us.
You can’t run 2 lines and you can’t let vets get away with murder.
FFS for all the bragging about what a great team we have let’s prove it !

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Since we're unhappy, who's the brain that made #GoJetsGo the official and emoji'd hashtag, even everyone uses #NHLJets and most other teams did their team name?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Armia, Connor, Poolman, Scheif all had good games. I haven't seen Scheif play bad yet this season which is encouraging.

Unfortunately the rest of the team was either non-impactful (Little, Tanev, Laine, Buff, Mason) or straight up terrible (Myers, Ehlers, Enstrom, Wheeler). I am forgetting about some more "bottom 6" players but that's because they didn't do anything worth mentioning.

The Jets were outplayed pretty bad in this one. To be honest they have been outplayed in most games so far, or to be generous they have played even with the other team in a few (Vancouver). The Edmonton game was the only one where the Jets looked like the better team. 6 games in now... I said I would wait until 10 games to make a judgement on Maurice but things aren't trending well.

Columbus completely shut down the Jets breakout tonight. There must have been about 2 clean breakouts, and it takes insanely skilled plays by the wingers to do it. They aren't breaking out of the zone with any consistency at all. If Myers has the puck below the goal line, it's just a matter of when, not if, he will turn it over. He looks really really bad. The difference between Myers and Enstrom's mistakes are the following: Enstrom is trying to make the right play but he's just not strong enough or quick enough anymore. Myers is trying to make the wrong play, and usually fails to make the wrong play which compounds the error. If the Jets had to hold on to either Poolman or Myers I take Poolman every day. That doesn't speak so well of Myers who won the calder and has now plateaued as a bad 3rd pairing defenceman.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Our best players weren't very good tonight. That's not a recipe for a victory.

I thought Kyle Connor was our best player tonight.

Mason gave up a couple of questionable goals again. He played well otherwise but it sure looks like Helle's net for now doesn't it?

Beat the Wild

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
We had a chance to get Fleury, Mike Smith or Scott Darling and management overpays for Mason???

Let Mason sit on the bench and time to hire a new coach.
Dude it’s not Mason
Helle will get torched
We have been outclassed in every game except Edmonton
Loupie has been right all along

Reactions: JBM and Belhammer16

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Listening to Wheeler go on with his usual litany of excuses, there are going to be nights like this, yeah Wheels just that the Jets have too many nights like this since 2011!

Country club atmosphere with the right coach who never holds anyone accountable, lazy team with the perfect complacent coach, no wonder they love him!

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
It's interesting that there has been a lot of talk about how Laine isn't playing very well, but him and nik are far and above everyone else in GS/60, and Laine is 5th in CF% too.

And this is why analytics aren't the be all, end all. They were both horrible tonight...luckily for them they weren't lonely on that front.

Far too many passengers...5-2 was flattering, we were manhandled. I will take Tanev's effort game in, game out over much of what I've seen from many of the high end guys. It least it looks like he cares and is trying.

There weren't too many games with our year one lineup that the team did not show up and provide good entertainment. (Very little talent on that team) Far more of these games where we don't show up now that we have all the elite guys.
WTF is it?? Coaching? Prima Donnas?

Anton Hipchekhov

Sep 30, 2017
In the interest of accuracy, who best to blame for the way we try to move the puck out of our zone? Huddy, Maurice or both?

What a ponderous breakout scheme we have. Move it along the boards until stopped then cycle it back behind the net and try the other way and repeat until you give up and then just ice the puck or give to the opponent. I assumed we did this last year because of all the injuries on defence. It seems that's actually our strategy?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Funny enough the Moose look far more organized and dangerous than the parent team on most nights. The games I've seen they attack with purpose and move together with purpose. Very little if anything is done with purpose on the Jets.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
And this is why analytics aren't the be all, end all. They were both horrible tonight...luckily for them they weren't lonely on that front.

I mean that's for the first 6 games. Sorry if I was unclear. nik was 2nd last in GS in todays game

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Listening to Wheeler go on with his usual litany of excuses, there are going to be nights like this, yeah Wheels just that the Jets have too many nights like this since 2011!

Country club atmosphere with the right coach who never holds anyone accountable, lazy team with the perfect complacent coach, no wonder they love him!

And now on the ice Wheeler looks like he's getting as old as his excuses. Plus another year of Scheifele's prime is going to be wasted. Enstrom and Little going to lose another year they can't afford. A year of Ehlers wasted. No proper mentoring for Laine. But Tanev!

Good thing they kept last year's 20th-place team together so they could thrive under the soon-to-be-losingest coach in NHL history. Way to go, Chevy.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
And whenever we win again the usual banter about how negative the boards are.
This was a low water mark as far as I’m concerned.
If the die hards can support this I don’t know what to tell you seriously

I consider myself to be on the positive side but a realist. I was really optimistic coming into the season for the first time in 3 years. This is the show me season for me personally.

Up until this point it’s been a mess compared to what I expected. Hopefully they get things turned around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad