Post-Game Talk: Jets leave the Florida Jets in the baggage claim. Jets win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
We keep hearing how part of the "problem" is that the top 2 lines don't have anyone from the bottom 2 lines who is pushing for promotion with their play (i.e. demotion for the top 6 if they don't play well), and that there's nobody down on the farm pushing for a call-up.

The one place this club has that is in goal. Montoya has done very little to disgrace himself in his 3.5 starts. 3-0-0 with decent numbers. Yet the worry is that if you don't shove Pavalec back in, you might hurt his confidence... so two comments come to mind;

1) if your starter is bonafide, fragile confidence shouldn't be (can't be) part of the equation and if it is, maybe that "starter" isn't really a starter (as stats over the past two seasons seem to indicate) and,
2) if you really do want to rip out the rot of entitlement and "any crap effort will suffice", how can you not reward Montoya with another start?

Nice that they won. First time I didn't get excited after a win, or cheer at each goal. As I said yesterday, I've come to terms with what this collection of millionaires is.

I am going with the simple answer, maybe because it is back to back games and perhaps want to give Monty the rest as he did have a groin pull not too long ago...those tend to linger a long while.
No use in getting him to aggravate that before we go down the home stretch by getting him to push it in back to back games needlessly. 2 healthy goalies are better than 1 exhausted goalie and a farm call up.

Not always black and white and we don't get all the behind the scenes stuff.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Random thought...

Kane of course had 9 shots on goal tonight, and earned a very deserving 2nd star, even though he was held off the scoresheet. I love that he pours shots on goal, but does anyone wish he'd be just a tad more patient and work his way into better scoring position? Even if the tradeoff was perhaps a couple less shots? A perfect example occurred in the first, he was roaring down the wing with great speed and could've easily taken it below the dot, but instead he fired it from the top of the circle. Essentially, he turned what was potentially a dangerous scoring chance into a routine save for Lindback.

Kane is what he is, and there's very little not to like about his game. I just wish he'd add a little bit more hesitation and deception to his game, rather than trying to execute everything at breakneck speed and shooting whenever he sees an opening.

I would be more then fine with kane doing what he does...IF...we had another young fast guy with decent hands around the net to crash with him
if you had kane comeing down one taking the shot and another guy (who's just as fast) crashing in, i would be more then fine with kane continueing to poor his shots on. IMO Kane really needs a partner to drive the net and pick up his garbage (cus he leaves alot of it lieinga round)

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Definate props to Montoya, he really held the Jets in it and deserved the win.

For me I really have to single out Wright. Really, really like what he has brought to the team. If there was a hardest working Jet award he would have gotten it last night from me and it wouldn't have been close. Not saying he's perfect, but he just seems to be very solid defensively, and it always seems like he makes the right move with the puck (getting it in deep, etc). I could see a coach like Noel really liking a player like that. Very dependable.

If the Jets can get a roster together where we have 3 somewhat scoring lines and a 4th with Wright, Slater, and Peluso, that would be something.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Definate props to Montoya, he really held the Jets in it and deserved the win.

For me I really have to single out Wright. Really, really like what he has brought to the team. If there was a hardest working Jet award he would have gotten it last night from me and it wouldn't have been close. Not saying he's perfect, but he just seems to be very solid defensively, and it always seems like he makes the right move with the puck (getting it in deep, etc). I could see a coach like Noel really liking a player like that. Very dependable.

If the Jets can get a roster together where we have 3 somewhat scoring lines and a 4th with Wright, Slater, and Peluso, that would be something.

agreed. That third line though seems so damn elusive to us. On paper we had a very solid talent level as our third line, but they just couldn't put it together. I dont get it...hopefully we can manage to put it together at some point

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I don't know if I count as a "stats guy", but I do think Olli's been a bit unlucky, production-wise. Having said that, I'm still a little disappointed. He hasn't been the bona fide top 6 C that we sorely need. I wouldn't mind him on the third line either, except Antropov's already got that sewn up, IMO.

I'll admit I was excited about his acquisition and immediately thought there was 1st-2nd line, 60pts+ potential in a full season in him. I certainly didn't think he'd have 7 points in 24 games and be a -12. Incredibly disappointing and yeah....he's a bust. Bust, bust, bust.

KingSalamon

Jun 29, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Clitsome has improved a lot from where he was at the start of the season, Clitsomitis is a tough thing to shake!;)

So when the day comes that Clitsome is traded/released/retires would he then be Gonnorhea? (Sorry couldn't resist)

Good game last night but holy heck is Tampa ever dangerous when they have the puck. They have a pretty potent offense! Stamkos is a superstar... wow.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah, im happy about the win, but some nights we look like we are a threat to win the stanley cup other nights we look like we couldnt win a beer league game.

Wright was an absolute steal off the waiver wire, what a screw up there. Guys logging huge min's and is looking like a very very solid player.

Huuuuge steal imo. He's working his ass off out there every single shift.

I noticed last night that he's starting to make very fast entries into the offensive zone as well. He's getting better all the time IMO.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I would be more then fine with kane doing what he does...IF...we had another young fast guy with decent hands around the net to crash with him
if you had kane comeing down one taking the shot and another guy (who's just as fast) crashing in, i would be more then fine with kane continueing to poor his shots on. IMO Kane really needs a partner to drive the net and pick up his garbage (cus he leaves alot of it lieinga round)

I kind of agree in that the problem is that Kane is so fast that he's frequently shooting the puck AND the first one to the rebound as well. He's often all alone in the offensive zone.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Tampa outplayed us. Luckily, Montoya was up to the task (not to mention a little luck with the posts) and stole the game for us. Kane played well too.

I don't know...it just seemed like whenever Tampa gained the zone, the puck stayed in the Jets' end for an extended period of time whereas whenever the Jets gained the Tampa zone, it appeared Tampa would clear the puck out quickly with very few shots or legit scoring chances for the Jets. The shots on net don't seem to indicate, this but it certainly looked like Tampa controlled the puck the majority of the game.

Still happy because you need your goalie to steal some games for you. That's what we said we needed at the beginning of the season, right? Oh, and get your goalie to conveniently have his mask come off when the pressure is on in a 5-on-3 situation.;)

Jokinen, shoot the puck on the ******* net!:rant:

Edit: I think Pavs gets the start in net tonight, but Montoya deserves more starts in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad