Post-Game Talk: Jets leave the Florida Jets in the baggage claim. Jets win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Random thought...

Kane of course had 9 shots on goal tonight, and earned a very deserving 2nd star, even though he was held off the scoresheet. I love that he pours shots on goal, but does anyone wish he'd be just a tad more patient and work his way into better scoring position? Even if the tradeoff was perhaps a couple less shots? A perfect example occurred in the first, he was roaring down the wing with great speed and could've easily taken it below the dot, but instead he fired it from the top of the circle. Essentially, he turned what was potentially a dangerous scoring chance into a routine save for Lindback.

Kane is what he is, and there's very little not to like about his game. I just wish he'd add a little bit more hesitation and deception to his game, rather than trying to execute everything at breakneck speed and shooting whenever he sees an opening.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Random thought...

Kane of course had 9 shots on goal tonight, and earned a very deserving 2nd star, even though he was held off the scoresheet. I love that he pours shots on goal, but does anyone wish he'd be just a tad more patient and work his way into better scoring position? Even if the tradeoff was perhaps a couple less shots? A perfect example occurred in the first, he was roaring down the wing with great speed and could've easily taken it below the dot, but instead he fired it from the top of the circle. Essentially, he turned what was potentially a dangerous scoring chance into a routine save for Lindback.

Kane is what he is, and there's very little not to like about his game. I just wish he'd add a little bit more hesitation and deception to his game, rather than trying to execute everything at breakneck speed and shooting whenever he sees an opening.

I thought of the same thing late in the third. He got himself free from a couple of Bolts D-men and went around the net. If he had taken one stride in towards the middle instead of shooting the moment he had a chance, it could have been really dangerous.

Then again, he does score goals thanks to the goalies looking like they expected him to wait a bit longer too, so maybe it evens out.

Good game tonight, they looked alot more ready to play than against Florida. Hopefully they can keep that up. But probably not.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
kane is amazing to watch, i just wish he had a little bit more of "soft hands"...

as you guys pointed out he just attacks wide and shoots. with his speed/size/shot he would be an ELITE player in the nhl if he had a few more dangles... ala malkin.. obviously not saying he would be malkin, but could play a similar game

when he attacks wide the defenders have to turn and go with him, either that or they try to rub him out entering the zone, that is the PERFECT situation to give a quick slip or toe drag through the defender and be in free on net with his speed.

all that aside, i love his compete and the fact he is willing to throw the puck at the net regardless. we could use a few more like that, i wish burmi was less gun shy rather than trying to dangle 3 guys before turning it over

also i hope monty gets more starts... obviously they have committed to pavs as the starter, and you dont want create a controversy or anything.. but if Al can stay healthy theres no reason we shouldnt see a 60/40 type split. the hectic schedule is going to start to catch up to everyone, having two guys your comfortable in between the pipes could really help keep them fresh in the home stretch

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Random thought...

"Shoot First Player" in the Hockey Dictionary should have a picture of Kane next to the definition. cf. Kyle Wellwood (Pass First)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Then again, he does score goals thanks to the goalies looking like they expected him to wait a bit longer too, so maybe it evens out.

That's actually a really good point, never thought about it that way.

I love how his approach on every shift is to take the puck hard to the net and do it as fast as possible, but sometimes I can't help but think he could switch it up a bit, channel his inner Burmistrov if you will. :sarcasm:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was extremely encouraged to see the Jets push-back after getting scored on in the third. Nice job by Little driving the puck to the net. He is certainly not a timid guy.

Good grief Bogo and Hains were atrocious tonight. I think conditioning is taking it's toll on Bogosian, and Hainsey seems to have these off games from time to time.

Montoya deserves another start. Pavelec has not been good enough, we need wins.

Has there been a better pick up this year than James Wright? Think about him JUST as a PK'er. All he does is make smart plays with the puck. He's the kind of guy you just feel comfortable with when he's on the ice. Good playoff teams have 'Wrights' on them. A definite keeper.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That's actually a really good point, never thought about it that way.

I love how his approach on every shift is to take the puck hard to the net and do it as fast as possible, but sometimes I can't help but think he could switch it up a bit, channel his inner Burmistrov if you will. :sarcasm:

Now THAT would be a great hybrid. Kanistrov!

jetkarma*

Random thought...

Seeing the changes from last year to this I don't doubt he improves in that area , I also think his game will substantially improve once he actually has a legitimate C . Hello young Mark.

StaticPrevails

Oct 6, 2011
Edmonton
I would be celebrating Monty's excellent win with a delicious German pizza at Monty's, if it were still open.

Bmedxzw.png

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Just finished watching this game.
Wow. So many things to praise.
PK was great. Montoya made some huge saves.
The power play, although they didnt score, looked good.
Tangradis first. Wellwoods boardwork on that play.
Littles goal was incredible.
They just played an all around good game, nice to see them get the full 2.

The Jets support in Florida and Tampa was so loud. Every crowd shot had Jets jerseys everywhere. Glad they got to watch a win against an impressive Tampa team.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I was extremely encouraged to see the Jets push-back after getting scored on in the third. Nice job by Little driving the puck to the net. He is certainly not a timid guy.

Good grief Bogo and Hains were atrocious tonight. I think conditioning is taking it's toll on Bogosian, and Hainsey seems to have these off games from time to time.

Montoya deserves another start. Pavelec has not been good enough, we need wins.

Has there been a better pick up this year than James Wright? Think about him JUST as a PK'er. All he does is make smart plays with the puck. He's the kind of guy you just feel comfortable with when he's on the ice. Good playoff teams have 'Wrights' on them. A definite keeper.

I too thought Bogo struggled a little tonight, he has taken a step back in the last 3-4 games, but considering how well he played after a 11 month absence he is excused.

Clitsome has improved a lot from where he was at the start of the season, Clitsomitis is a tough thing to shake!;)

Really don't see any improvement in Burmi's game this season and I would bet the organization is disappointed as well. Looks like he will be a career bottom six player if he can't start generating points. He's also taken over from Ladd of last season in the turnover dept.

I think we can all officially call Jokinen a BUST his miss from 10 feet from the net on the 5 on 3 was pathetic, if they can move him they should. 3 goals (2 in one game ) and 0 assists in the last 16 games and the worst +/- (-12) on the team.

Really think Kane needs a solid centre with him, hope the Jets can address that through FA or trade, he is basically carrying the second line by himself.

LLW pretty solid effort.

Last edited:

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
Im fine with Jokinen as a third line centre. problem is at MAYBE half of what hes getting paid. We would have a very hard time moving him unless someone ran into a few injured centers around the deadline

and he is terrible on the pp. i dont see how hes still out there. the stats guys will prob correct me, but it seems like he maybe gets 1 out of every 6-7 shots he attempts on net.. and when he does he hits the goalie in the crest... hes also way to hesistant to play the point

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Tampa outplayed us. Luckily, Montoya was up to the task (not to mention a little luck with the posts) and stole the game for us. Kane played well too.

I don't know...it just seemed like whenever Tampa gained the zone, the puck stayed in the Jets' end for an extended period of time whereas whenever the Jets gained the Tampa zone, it appeared Tampa would clear the puck out quickly with very few shots or legit scoring chances for the Jets. The shots on net don't seem to indicate this but it certainly looked like Tampa controlled the puck the majority of th game.

Still happy because you need your goalie to steal some games for you. That's what we said we needed at the beginning of the season right? Oh, and get your goalie to conveniently have his mask come off when the pressure is on in a 5-on-3 situation.;)

Jokinen, shoot the puck on the ******* net!:rant:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't know guys I think Bogosian and Hainsey had solid games other than the bad play where they both followed the puck carrier to the boards on that goal. Remember they were both out for the full 2 minutes on the 3v5 PK. Tampa is a tough match up for a shut down pair and you aren't going to look perfect against them because they bring it and Stamkos and his line work hard to make you look bad.

Montoya was the star know doubt but I thought our defenders had a solid night. I agree on Clitsome other than 1 bad Pizza I think he brought the good version of himself...same as Buff he is roving away less but playing much better positionally in our own end and when he does deside to throw his weight........:help:

I echo whoever mentioned the Fan support their last night.......felt like a big and very loud Jets contingent. also good to see a full building in Tampa.

Last point Jeff Vinink seems like a total class act as an owner. They were interviwing an x lightning player on Hustler and Lawless and he felt Vinik was a huge reason for the improvement in attendance. $40 million in arena improvments aside One thing he does is at each home game He donates $50,000 to an outstanding community volunteer. he has a selection board that picks the winners but can you imagine how exciting that would be for the fans and these people that give back to their community to be recognized in front of fans, the lightning , and their families not to mention picking up 50k? Really cool idea that makes the Lightning seem pretty classy.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
ps241;61233023[B said:
]I don't know guys I think Bogosian and Hainsey had solid games other than the bad play where they both followed the puck carrier to the boards on that goal. Remember they were both out for the full 2 minutes on the 3v5 PK. Tampa is a tough match up for a shut down pair and you aren't going to look perfect against them because they bring it and Stamkos and his line work hard to make you look bad. [/B]

Montoya was the star know doubt but I thought our defenders had a solid night. I agree on Clitsome other than 1 bad Pizza I think he brought the good version of himself...same as Buff he is roving away less but playing much better positionally in our own end and when he does deside to throw his weight........:help:

I echo whoever mentioned the Fan support their last night.......felt like a big and very loud Jets contingent. also good to see a full building in Tampa.

Last point Jeff Vinink seems like a total class act as an owner. They were interviwing an x lightning player on Hustler and Lawless and he felt Vinik was a huge reason for the improvement in attendance. $40 million in arena improvments aside One thing he does is at each home game He donates $50,000 to an outstanding community volunteer. he has a selection board that picks the winners but can you imagine how exciting that would be for the fans and these people that give back to their community to be recognized in front of fans, the lightning , and their families not to mention picking up 50k? Really cool idea that makes the Lightning seem pretty classy.

I would agree with that. Bogo logged over 26 mins and Hainsey over 25 mins primarily against one of top offensive lines in the game, with the league's top sniper and they give up only 1 goal and your team wins 2-1. Their play on the 5-3 was a thing of beauty. No defenseman ever looks perfect especially against top level offensive talent. That is why it is so tough to play and there is such a premium on top defenseman. I also really like Buff's greater commitment to defense. He doesn't look as dynamic but IMO it makes a much stronger team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Seeing the changes from last year to this I don't doubt he improves in that area , I also think his game will substantially improve once he actually has a legitimate C . Hello young Mark.

Completely agree. On paper, a Kane-Scheifele pairing makes a lot of sense. Sheifele has a high offensive IQ, and moves the puck well. He's also pretty dangerous around the net on rebounds, etc.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Im fine with Jokinen as a third line centre. problem is at MAYBE half of what hes getting paid. We would have a very hard time moving him unless someone ran into a few injured centers around the deadline

and he is terrible on the pp. i dont see how hes still out there. the stats guys will prob correct me, but it seems like he maybe gets 1 out of every 6-7 shots he attempts on net.. and when he does he hits the goalie in the crest... hes also way to hesistant to play the point

I don't know if I count as a "stats guy", but I do think Olli's been a bit unlucky, production-wise. Having said that, I'm still a little disappointed. He hasn't been the bona fide top 6 C that we sorely need. I wouldn't mind him on the third line either, except Antropov's already got that sewn up, IMO.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
We keep hearing how part of the "problem" is that the top 2 lines don't have anyone from the bottom 2 lines who is pushing for promotion with their play (i.e. demotion for the top 6 if they don't play well), and that there's nobody down on the farm pushing for a call-up.

The one place this club has that is in goal. Montoya has done very little to disgrace himself in his 3.5 starts. 3-0-0 with decent numbers. Yet the worry is that if you don't shove Pavalec back in, you might hurt his confidence... so two comments come to mind;

1) if your starter is bonafide, fragile confidence shouldn't be (can't be) part of the equation and if it is, maybe that "starter" isn't really a starter (as stats over the past two seasons seem to indicate) and,
2) if you really do want to rip out the rot of entitlement and "any crap effort will suffice", how can you not reward Montoya with another start?

Nice that they won. First time I didn't get excited after a win, or cheer at each goal. As I said yesterday, I've come to terms with what this collection of millionaires is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad