GDT: Jets @ Leafs • Tue, Feb 21 • 630PM CT • TSN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
C5N8mcpVcAEgCkD.jpg

So Laine is either incredibly lucky, or incredibly talented?

Damn - I think I could have told you that without a lot of fancy stats. :laugh:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
i'm a winnipegger who lives in toronto (for 17 years. but still a winnipegger).
Toronto media is ridiculous. and when i say "toronto", i also mean "sportsnet, TSN, the Score".
Matthews gets way more hype than Laine.

let's be honest here: off the top of your head, any idea what kind of season Scheifele's having? where he is in NHL scoring?
how about Bryan Little's PPG average?

if a Leaf was doing this, the media would be hospitalized from trying to **** their own ***** and breaking a rib

Don't need to provide hypotheticals. Look no further than the ridiculous "Kadri for Selke" hype.

Bryan Little is/was more deserving of Selke consideration than Kadri, yet you barely hear a peep about it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Didn't mention Barberio because the Avs had waiver priority over us, so it's possible Chevy put in a claim.

That said, I'm sure Bergevin would've put out courtesy calls prior to waiving him. Jets could've just given the Habs their 7th round pick back. :laugh:

People keep saying that! WRONG.

Avs claimed him the 2nd time he was waived. He passed through only about 6 weeks earlier and was then waived again.

While we are at it, lets mention Halak again just for some kind of completeness. :laugh: Halak has now played 16 AHL games - sv% .931

Pav for Halak right now Chevy!

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Lets face it for TSN and SN there's Toronto and the rest of Canada its the way it's been and will always be, they know who butter's their popcorn.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Avs claimed him the 2nd time he was waived. He passed through only about 6 weeks earlier and was then waived again.

While we are at it, lets mention Halak again just for some kind of completeness. :laugh: Halak has now played 16 AHL games - sv% .931

Why bother?

EV save% (2016/17):

Halak 0.904
Hellebuyck 0.918

I want Hellebuyck to play as much as possible down the stretch, and then the Jets can try to figure out what to do about a second goalie in the off-season. There might be better options available than Halak, all things considered.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Why bother?

I want Hellebuyck to play as much as possible down the stretch, and then the Jets can try to figure out what to do about a second goalie in the off-season. There might be better options available than Halak, all things considered.

Yep, there will be quite a few free agent goalie's in the off season, not all will make big coin.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
No Marner for the Leafs. Basically cancels out no Trouba situation. I think the Jets will get up for this game. Last game before the break, playing real solid lately, Toronto narrative, etc.

Will be nice to not have 17 games in hand on every team in the league after this break

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Lost in this so far is that this would be a 3 game winning streak with a win tonight. We know how the team generally does in that situation.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Lost in this so far is that this would be a 3 game winning streak with a win tonight. We know how the team generally does in that situation.

Hopefully that monkey is off their back now though.

Now they just have to worry about the "can't win four games in a row" streak. But we can worry about that next week.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I think Barberio was waived pretty early on in the season and was up and down between Montreal and St. John's a lot without having to clear again. He finally accumulated 10 games or 30 days on the roster in January and they had to waive him a second time - and that's when Colorado claimed him.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
This was an actual question asked to Laine by a member of the Toronto media:

"What parts of your game are superior to Matthews?"

What kind of question is that? I am glad Laine didn't take the bait.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Don't need to provide hypotheticals. Look no further than the ridiculous "Kadri for Selke" hype.

Bryan Little is/was more deserving of Selke consideration than Kadri, yet you barely hear a peep about it.

In what way is Little more deserving of Selke consideration than Kadri? Neither are even in the conversation but please tell me. Is it his 30% defensive zone starts? His ability to carry plugs like Ehlers, Laine, and Perrault?

The Kadri for Selke stuff wasn't a serious thing. Kadri shut down McDavid one game and then everyone saw he led the league in defensive zone start % and went nuts for a minute. Maybe that picks up in a few years when Toronto is good and Kadri is still getting 37% of his shifts in the defensive zone.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
For visiting Leaf fans: don't troll.
For Jets fans: don't troll HFLeafs. Thanks!
And, if you receive infractions, don't discuss it on the public forums. It's called disclosure, and is not allowed on any subforum.

---

Looking forward to this game tonight - rag tag defensive crew vs. a pretty damned good offense. Should be ... exciting. :D

Go :jets!

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
In what way is Little more deserving of Selke consideration than Kadri? Neither are even in the conversation but please tell me. Is it his 30% defensive zone starts? His ability to carry plugs like Ehlers, Laine, and Perrault?

The Kadri for Selke stuff wasn't a serious thing. Kadri shut down McDavid one game and then everyone saw he led the league in defensive zone start % and went nuts for a minute. Maybe that picks up in a few years when Toronto is good and Kadri is still getting 37% of his shifts in the defensive zone.

Since you can look up the numbers yourself, tell you in a non-stats way? Watch some of Little's games from the latter half of 2013-14 and the first half of 2014-15.

Little has never really been a legit Selke candidate, but he was damn close to it during that stretch. Would make one or two pass breakups per game, almost never cleanly lost a board battle, and just gravitated to loose pucks like Bergeron.

Hard to say what happened after that. He's still a beast, but he's never looked as good as he did in that stretch. Injuries sure haven't helped.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
TBH I've been reading the Leafs forum today and it actually seems tamer and more balanced than I remember in the Kessel era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad