Confirmed with Link: Jets Hire Rick Bowness as the next head coach, Arniel Associate, Assistants Brad Lauer, Marty Johnston

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I heard that too.

It reminds me of an interview Jacob Trouba gave the New York Post during his first season with the Rangers.

He said in Winnipeg there was a lot of confusion associated with their defensive system.

Yeah the movement to Moe's M2M was nothing but confusion for three straight years.

I really think people are underestimating how much this new staff is going to impact performance. I expect:
A better Blake Wheeler without the c responsibility. He will still have a letter, but an a will definitely let him focus on his game​
A simpler, more sensible d structure that's easy to follow and has less holes​
More understanding of identity and roles​
More accountability.​

I feel really excited for this season

Same here, it seems the group is re-energized and ready to listen to the coaching staff. I'm also optimistic of a rebound.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Yeah the movement to Moe's M2M was nothing but confusion for three straight years.

Same here, it seems the group is re-energized and ready to listen to the coaching staff. I'm also optimistic of a rebound.
I too am optimistic about seeing some refreshing changes this season - and hoping that pre-season will begin to show what the coach`s prefer. So far, Bowness has used language which suggests the style will be more aggressive, rather than passive, at least in the neutral and offensive zones; but hasn`t shed much light on what will occur in the defensive zone. I think we can safely assume that there will be much less reliance on m2m, which is good. I have never heard Bowness even talk about any overload type approaches (either forecheck or defensive zone) so I don`t anticipate seeing anything of that nature. But then again, who know? We`ll just have to wait and see!

Reactions: surixon

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I just listened to Mark's 23 thought interview. I think it's clear he had enough of Maurice prior to him leaving. He keeps bringing up not knowing why things needed to be done and how he's looking forward to understanding why they do things under Rick. Seems like Maurice wasnt as good a communicator as he appeared.

I suspected this was the case when he gave his now infamous interview after the last game of the season. Lowry seemingly kept as much of Maurice’s style in place as possible. Scheifele got a lot of ice time and leeway under Maurice but I don't think he really appreciated that - I don't think he likes the hands off style. People like that want coaching and feedback and it doesn't sound like Maurice gave him very much of that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I too am optimistic about seeing some refreshing changes this season - and hoping that pre-season will begin to show what the coach`s prefer. So far, Bowness has used language which suggests the style will be more aggressive, rather than passive, at least in the neutral and offensive zones; but hasn`t shed much light on what will occur in the defensive zone. I think we can safely assume that there will be much less reliance on m2m, which is good. I have never heard Bowness even talk about any overload type approaches (either forecheck or defensive zone) so I don`t anticipate seeing anything of that nature. But then again, who know? We`ll just have to wait and see!

Too me it looked like they collapsed in a box a couple of times in the rookie game the other day. I am hoping they are a little less chaotic today so we may get a bit better look at what they intend to do. My guess is we see more of a box plus one type of scheme based on early impressions.

Reactions: ecolad

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I suspected this was the case when he gave his now infamous interview after the last game of the season. Lowry seemingly kept as much of Maurice’s style in place as possible. Scheifele got a lot of ice time and leeway under Maurice but I don't think he really appreciated that - I don't think he likes the hands off style. People like that want coaching and feedback and it doesn't sound like Maurice gave him very much of that.

Yeah, couple that with player x, you, z don't need coaching comments from Moe and I think it's clear that he wasn't good at providing helpful and constructive feed back and coaching to some on the team. I've said before that everyone needs coaching and imo he spent way too much time on the players that didn't play his preferred style of play.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Too me it looked like they collapsed in a box a couple of times in the rookie game the other day. I am hoping they are a little less chaotic today so we may get a bit better look at what they intend to do. My guess is we see more of a box plus one type of scheme based on early impressions.
Agreed. Once again, the question will be how aggressively they play within the system. The box plus one can be used to put pressure on the puck everywhere it goes, or it can collapse more passively as well.

[As an aside, I expect that someone like Dillon will play/look much better this season if we minimize m2m. He was clearly never comfortable with the movement required by such a system and will benefit from a simplified zone.]

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Just listened to Mark on the 32 thoughts podcast. Pretty solid interview. Room is tight, feels he can go to dinner with anyone and it's cool, team really lacked direction last year, didn't know what they were doing scheme or system wise, really enjoys that bones seems to care about him and calls him in the off season and sees how he's doing, says he hasn't had that his entire career (pretty damning statement on Maurice) (makes you wonder if he actually visited Laine in Finland honestly) is excited and looking forward to understanding the schemes and systems and the why's of the system, why are we running this and what's the point or end game really in said system. I think Mark will be much improved this season. He sounds excited. To those who haven't listened, you should. It explains a few things

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
My hope is with the new coaching staff the team can improve the goal differential by 30 to 35 goals. 20 goals fewer against and 10 - 15 more goals scored.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Scheif was pretty much all offense and no defense LY -
Last time Maurice stepped in on 55's game and benched him for part of a 3rd period, Scheif wasn't impressed and let it be known. It would have been interesting to see how he reacted to more "feedback" on this game.
Feedback includes calling out the bad and the good - most would prefer the good constructive stuff.

I'm not sure Scheif like's the hands on style if the feedback is not piling on the positive hype - which is what was done in most cases for this player. And I'm not convinced it was all Maurice that was driving that narrative.
This will be a very interesting year for 55.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah, couple that with player x, you, z don't need coaching comments from Moe and I think it's clear that he wasn't good at providing helpful and constructive feed back and coaching to some on the team. I've said before that everyone needs coaching and imo he spent way too much time on the players that didn't play his preferred style of play.
It's just as possible that Maurice was hamstrung on how he was asked to handle certain players -
It's not clear at all unless you want to run with a narrative without considering what might be going on behind the scenes.

IMO, there is nothing "clear" about what was happening here - but it started becoming more clear when the coach walks out.

Who's to say Maurice wasn't all over some players behind the scenes and that it went nowhere based on players knowing there was really no accountability at their level. That would truly be a shit show for everyone including the guys that were being over coached because they weren't on the protected list.

Maybe that's the way it went - who knows - but it sure isn't "clear" as day IMO

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I really think people are underestimating how much this new staff is going to impact performance. I expect:
A better Blake Wheeler without the c responsibility. He will still have a letter, but an a will definitely let him focus on his game​
More accountability.​

Couldn’t have said it better.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
More accountability.​

I've definitely upgrade from "disasterpiece potential" to "dark horse potential".

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Last time Maurice stepped in on 55's game and benched him for part of a 3rd period, Scheif wasn't impressed and let it be known. It would have been interesting to see how he reacted to more "feedback" on this game.
Feedback includes calling out the bad and the good - most would prefer the good constructive stuff.

I'm not sure Scheif like's the hands on style if the feedback is not piling on the positive hype - which is what was done in most cases for this player. And I'm not convinced it was all Maurice that was driving that narrative.

He's good at offence and from what he's said he wasn't told anything about playing defence. It's not an excuse for poor effort by any means but I can understand frustration about not onowing what's going on.

No player is happy to be benched. I don't hold that against him. He's not the only one in pro sports to express dissatisfaction with that.

As for him only liking positive feedback - it feels like you're at the conclusion he's a prima donna and then fit the situation into how to reinforce that. There's nothing to suggest that's the case.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He's good at offence and from what he's said he wasn't told anything about playing defence. It's not an excuse for poor effort by any means but I can understand frustration about not onowing what's going on.

No player is happy to be benched. I don't hold that against him. He's not the only one in pro sports to express dissatisfaction with that.

As for him only liking positive feedback - it feels like you're at the conclusion he's a prima donna and then fit the situation into how to reinforce that. There's nothing to suggest that's the case.
My point was more around your statement that 55 didn't like the hands off style of his coach -
My response was an example of where he didn't appear to like the hands on approach either.

And I'm not drawing any conclusions- and no more so than you might have with this point:
"Scheifele got a lot of ice time and leeway under Maurice but I don't think he really appreciated that"
Talk about reinforcing a situation - it appears as though he didn't like too much ice time or leeway - and when the leeway was reeled in a little, he didn't like or agree with that either.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don't blame Scheif for being pissed off late last season at all.

Look at the D corps that Chevy assembled the 2 years before the last...not sticking up for Maurice at all but how many coaches make the playoffs with that D corps?
That is on Chevy.
Scheif probably sees it as some of his and Ehlers' and Helle's and Wheeler's and KC's etc... best years of their careers and they are playing with Boolow on the 1st pairing or Poolman on the 1st pairing.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

The prosecution would like to enter into evidence... Exhibit A. :laugh:

DpbIGRoUwAASu9m.jpg

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
My point was more around your statement that 55 didn't like the hands off style of his coach -
My response was an example of where he didn't appear to like the hands on approach either.

And I'm not drawing any conclusions- and no more so than you might have with this point:
"Scheifele got a lot of ice time and leeway under Maurice but I don't think he really appreciated that"
Talk about reinforcing a situation - it appears as though he didn't like too much ice time or leeway - and when the leeway was reeled in a little, he didn't like or agree with that either.

I don't think he does. I can point to a time Wheeler wasn't annoyed with the media too, that doesn't mean one incident is the reality. He could just as easily have been frustrated for being benched for something while not being told what he's doing incorrectly.

Didn't say he didn't like all the ice time, I'm sure he did. I think taking his ice time as a sign that he thinks everything is fine and he loves Maurice and what was going on is making a lot of different conclusions to get there. Everything he's said this summer has indicated he did not like Maurice’s style - you can either take him at his word or think he's lying to try to save face. I think it's the former, some will think the latter.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

We will see how he reacts this year but but we have no idea how things were bwing explained behind closed doors. He clearly by the end disnt believe in Moe's systems and coaching.
I don't think he does. I can point to a time Wheeler wasn't annoyed with the media too, that doesn't mean one incident is the reality. He could just as easily have been frustrated for being benched for something while not being told what he's doing incorrectly.

Didn't say he didn't like all the ice time, I'm sure he did. I think taking his ice time as a sign that he thinks everything is fine and he loves Maurice and what was going on is making a lot of different conclusions to get there. Everything he's said this summer has indicated he did not like Maurice’s style - you can either take him at his word or think he's lying to try to save face. I think it's the former, some will think the latter.

It's also not like he was asked about Maurice either. He's gone out of his way to point out the differences he's seen. He's gone out of his way to say Noone really knew what they were supposed to do. He clearly didn't buy what Maurice was selling and Lowry coming in and continuing the schemes made things worse imo.

Reactions: tbcwpg

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I'd say JoMo and Lurch are locks for A's. Give Dillon, Schmidt, Scheifele and Ehlers the others.
3 at home, 3 on the road.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The prosecution would like to enter into evidence... Exhibit A. :laugh:

DpbIGRoUwAASu9m.jpg

My god, that picture gets me every time.

Like, he's got all these things going for him -- young, athletic, well-dressed, statistically handsome. All and I mean ALL he had to do was sit in that chair like f***in' Johnny Bench and he'd be on the cover of GQ. Instead, we get... I mean, I don't even know what the hell he's supposed to be doing here.

"Okay, Mark, show me, uh, 'I've really gotta take a shit but I've got a blistering migraine too!"

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I honestly didn't hear anything from Scheif that he didn't like Mo's style.
He may be looking forward to new coaching and ideas, but that is likely a canned response from any player - especially one who sounded like he wanted out with his season ending comments AFTER MO HAD ALREADY LEFT. If his problem was with Maurice, his problem was already gone. Maybe he was more concerned with the replacement?

BTW, I'll take 55's comments as they were spoken - this has nothing to do with calling him out to be lying - why go there? These guys speak around topics all the time - he's not going to say anything that might further drive this narrative - it's part of keeping the peace and moving forward.

in the end, you and I have no idea how much coaching or feedback 55 received from Mo -
We do know that Mo left well ahead of 55 season ending outburst - for all we know, that outburst was a result of Mo leaving and being replaced by a coach that did not work well with Scheif.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad