Confirmed with Link: Jets Hire Rick Bowness as the next head coach, Arniel Associate, Assistants Brad Lauer, Marty Johnston

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
From what Bowness was saying, I don't think it's necessarily a heavier focus on defense, but rather a focus on a defined system and agressiveness all over the ice.

The one thing that I think measurably deteriorated from 17-18 for the Jets was agressiveness. We became passive and almost timid all over the ice. The 17-18 team was like a pack of wolves, and if we can get back to playing like that in our zone and offensively that shouldn't limit offensive chances it should allow for more.
if they play like the 17-18 team sure it'll be all gravy. we're on year 5 of us going into the season saying that. Hopefully bowness can do it with an inferior roster to both 17-18 and last year. i think this team should still be a WC team given their top-6 and a bounce back from Helle. I just think the latter will be the main reason why. i do expect a bit of a new coach/voice bounce though.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
if they play like the 17-18 team sure it'll be all gravy. we're on year 5 of us going into the season saying that. Hopefully bowness can do it with an inferior roster to both 17-18 and last year. i think this team should still be a WC team given their top-6 and a bounce back from Helle. I just think the latter will be the main reason why. i do expect a bit of a new coach/voice bounce though.
I will grant you that we have an inferior roster to 17-18 - but as I highlighted a few posts above, this roster may indeed be better than last years, if you look at it objectively.

Also, it's disingenuous to say we are on year 5 of saying that when this is moment one of an ENTIRELY new coaching staff. Why are we putting that label on them already?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think that the idea that the roster needed to imporove for us to have a significant increase in success is one worth exploring a little.

When broken down player by player, which guys lack attributes that will lead to the team failing again? IE are we not big enough? Skilled enough? Fast enough?

Of course all players have their strengths and weaknesses but I don't look at the team and think that there are any guys that can't skate well enough to keep up with the play (ie Milan Lucic). Our skilled wingers are on the small size but our centres are all big and skate well.

On D, we don't have that one 6'5 minute munching d man like a Hedman but they all skate well and move the puck well (especially if Samberg slots in over stanly).

In other words, I think a coach can come up with a system that relies on positioning and support over winning one on one battles in both ends that could be successful.

I think any change in system and the subsequent buy in of that system can produce a much higher return than any moves chevy didn't make this summer. Throw Milano into that tire fire of a system we were running last year and it's not gonna fix shit. And for everyone clamoring for a blockbuster, you have to give to get. Even then, the new guy(s) you aquire from a trade still need to be integrated into and buy into the way the team plays.

I think chevy is wise to see what the roster he has now can do under Bowness before he makes any big, rash moves. If they're still shit, he can start by trading PLD and starting to look down the road at what he wants to do with schief and helly.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I will grant you that we have an inferior roster to 17-18 - but as I highlighted a few posts above, this roster may indeed be better than last years, if you look at it objectively.

Also, it's disingenuous to say we are on year 5 of saying that when this is moment one of an ENTIRELY new coaching staff. Why are we putting that label on them already?
and if you look above i said id disagree. i dont think the difference is huge or insurmountable though, but i think it is still a bit weaker than last season. i think you're in the minority on this tbh, and also missing svechnikov who i think provided solid value for us.

lol you're the one that initially brought up the 17-18 comparison, not me. so if you want to refrain from making any comparison from the 17-18 team, perhaps don't use it as a benchmark or an example.

and what label did i place on this team? I said Hopefully bowness can do it (it being: play to a level of 17-18) with an inferior roster to both 17-18 and last year., that's not placing a label at all. how about dont be disingenuous in your responses.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think that the idea that the roster needed to imporove for us to have a significant increase in success is one worth exploring a little.

When broken down player by player, which guys lack attributes that will lead to the team failing again? IE are we not big enough? Skilled enough? Fast enough?

Of course all players have their strengths and weaknesses but I don't look at the team and think that there are any guys that can't skate well enough to keep up with the play (ie Milan Lucic). Our skilled wingers are on the small size but our centres are all big and skate well.

On D, we don't have that one 6'5 minute munching d man like a Hedman but they all skate well and move the puck well (especially if Samberg slots in over stanly).

In other words, I think a coach can come up with a system that relies on positioning and support over winning one on one battles in both ends that could be successful.

I think any change in system and the subsequent buy in of that system can produce a much higher return than any moves chevy didn't make this summer. Throw Milano into that tire fire of a system we were running last year and it's not gonna fix shit. And for everyone clamoring for a blockbuster, you have to give to get. Even then, the new guy(s) you aquire from a trade still need to be integrated into and buy into the way the team plays.

I think chevy is wise to see what the roster he has now can do under Bowness before he makes any big, rash moves. If they're still shit, he can start by trading PLD and starting to look down the road at what he wants to do with schief and helly.

Good post. I think it comes down to how much or how little this team underperformed its talent last year. If they massively underperformed then playing a cohesive game will lead to big gains even with the roster staying relatively the same. If they only marginally underperformed then playing cohesive hockey will only see them make minor gains and a talent infusion is needed for larger gains.

I guess we will just have to wait and see how the year goes. The org clearly thinks it's the former, so hopefully they are correct in their assessment.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
and if you look above i said id disagree. i dont think the difference is huge or insurmountable though, but i think it is still a bit weaker than last season. i think you're in the minority on this tbh, and also missing svechnikov who i think provided solid value for us.

lol you're the one that initially brought up the 17-18 comparison, not me. so if you want to refrain from making any comparison from the 17-18 team, perhaps don't use it as a benchmark or an example.

and what label did i place on this team? I said Hopefully bowness can do it (it being: play to a level of 17-18) with an inferior roster to both 17-18 and last year., that's not placing a label at all. how about dont be disingenuous in your responses.
Strawmans all day.

That team was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Do we even have the makeup to be a "pack of wolves" now? That would be quite a jump from last year's pack of Basset Hounds. :laugh:
I think you can take pretty much any team and get them to play that way. It's systems, mindset, identity and accountability.

We will see if this coaching group can do it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know, man. The truth is tiring. I don't know if it's cognitive dissonance but it's not an opinion, it is a simple fact that none of us on this forum know exactly what Chevy has tried to do, or is still working on this offseason.

I also find it hard to believe that if Chevy would have made a couple more moves you would have gotten seasons. It's not a trivial investment.

At this point I am hoping Chevy goes with the roster as is and we tear it up this year. I'm not a petty man but I would love to revisit some of the posts I've seen this offseason.

THANK YOU!

If we could only seperate fact from opinion from speculation, rumor and emotion on this board we would be able to have a more sensible debate. 70% of what we read is a slogfest through misinterpretation of data, either due to ignorance or willful twisting of the truth.

True, "none of us on this forum know exactly what Chevy has tried to do, or is still working on this offseason".

It is equally true that none of us know what he has not tried to do. We do know what he has done and what he has not done. All of the rest is speculation, regardless of direction of spin.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Strawmans all day.

I think you can take pretty much any team and get them to play that way. It's systems, mindset, identity and accountability.

lol not a strawman at all. first you label me/my post disingenuous when i said i hope Bowness can take an inferior team to the 17-18 level? now all of a sudden strawman? ok sure whatever.

Reactions: TS Quint
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Strawmans all day.

I'm in agreement that this years edition of our Jets is as good on paper as the year prior & has the potential to outshine last years. The major loss is Copp, but if Perfetti has the Calder contending season many feel he's capable of, Copp's loss will be minimized.

What people forget is that every year adds a year to the development of our young core. Dubois just had has 24th birthday & we've got Connor & Ehlers in their prime. On the flip side the only candidate for regression is Wheeler. While he's not the player he was a half decade ago, the man trains hard in the off season & should offer the same value as last season. He earned his last 5 year contract because the organization believed, even stated verbatim, that they felt his conditioning would allow him to play in this league until 40. If he can't be dealt as many have called for, he'll certainly be giving it his all this season in his quest to win a Cup.

Appleton's return & the addition of Gagner solve some handedness issues that will prevent teams from cheating on us like they did last year when lines 2-4 didn't have a single right shot option. I'm sure we all agree that this team has defensive depth. Samberg, Heinola, Kovacivic are all solids options.

Maurice & his staff are gone. I'm excited to see what Bowness & Arniel can do & hope the team buys in to what they are selling & 2022-2023 is a return to the glory days of 2017-2018.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
lol not a strawman at all. first you label me/my post disingenuous when i said i hope Bowness can take an inferior team to the 17-18 level? now all of a sudden strawman? ok sure whatever.
Agreed. While I agree with Jet that this team isn't far off from last years, his use of the term strawman was used totally out of context.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Craig Berube is a prime example and he did it within a season. He got a team that was playing like shit and was out of the playoffs in December playing as one unit, with confidence and belief in themselves and one another. They ended up winning the cup.

I don't think Craig Berube is a top tier coach or some magician. That team needed an identity and clear instructions on how to play their game and he gave them that.

A new coach CAN create a big difference. Doesn't mean that a new coach will.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm also a little skeptical. I'm just not sure the Jets have the horses. I expect improvement. The question is how much? Probably just enough to squeeze into the PO. Another 7-8 pts should do that.

Can the new coaching staff achieve more than that? I hope so. Just have to wait for the games to be played.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
From what Bowness was saying, I don't think it's necessarily a heavier focus on defense, but rather a focus on a defined system and agressiveness all over the ice.

The one thing that I think measurably deteriorated from 17-18 for the Jets was agressiveness. We became passive and almost timid all over the ice. The 17-18 team was like a pack of wolves, and if we can get back to playing like that in our zone and offensively that shouldn't limit offensive chances it should allow for more.

Lets see what he does.
Going by what he did in Dallas, we will have less offense. He may know more than 1 tune. I hope he coaches according to the players he has available rather than to a Bowness template.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm in agreement that this years edition of our Jets is as good on paper as the year prior & has the potential to outshine last years. The major loss is Copp, but if Perfetti has the Calder contending season many feel he's capable of, Copp's loss will be minimized.

What people forget is that every year adds a year to the development of our young core. Dubois just had has 24th birthday & we've got Connor & Ehlers in their prime. On the flip side the only candidate for regression is Wheeler. While he's not the player he was a half decade ago, the man trains hard in the off season & should offer the same value as last season. He earned his last 5 year contract because the organization believed, even stated verbatim, that they felt his conditioning would allow him to play in this league until 40. If he can't be dealt as many have called for, he'll certainly be giving it his all this season in his quest to win a Cup.

Appleton's return & the addition of Gagner solve some handedness issues that will prevent teams from cheating on us like they did last year when lines 2-4 didn't have a single right shot option. I'm sure we all agree that this team has defensive depth. Samberg, Heinola, Kovacivic are all solids options.

Maurice & his staff are gone. I'm excited to see what Bowness & Arniel can do & hope the team buys in to what they are selling & 2022-2023 is a return to the glory days of 2017-2018.
i do think Stastny was a major loss. him along w/ copp were both solidly 2nd liners. copp was one of the most used fwds while on this team last season (in the league actually), and both provided versatility as C or W options. Perfetti i think offensively should score similarly to at least one of them, but not sure about the rest of his game. i am going to project he's not as good at actually playing at C yet as either of them. that still leaves us another 2nd liner/middle-6er down. then consider when injury strikes, having both of those being able to cover C or W is a major boon imo.

I dont think any1 forgets a year of development toward our "young core." it's a systematic part of the league. every team will have young prominent players w/ 1 more year under their belts..... ie: COL will have another year of development with Makar, Byram, Girard, Newhook, for instance. all = or younger than PLD. Similarly they have v strong players currently their prime, & evidently a regression candidate. same could be said for TBL, DAL, etc. unless the Jets have some quantifiable higher +1 year increase in play compared to all other teams, i don't think it's worth regurgitating over and over.

i see it as in the pool of players arrivals & departures vs last year.... the 2 of highest significance in actual on-ice roles & player quality were Stastny and Copp, who were both departures. Perfetti was on this team last year, but having him full-time will be obviously good for him/us long-term, however, i don't expect him to put up much higher scoring totals as either of those 2 (40-50 pts would be a v respectable rookie year), & i don't know if his game would be well-rounded or versatile as either of them. i think this team is slightly worse in player personnel vs last year, and the objective stats rate it similarly (at least prior to the Gagner signing)

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
True, "none of us on this forum know exactly what Chevy has tried to do, or is still working on this offseason".

It is equally true that none of us know what he has not tried to do. We do know what he has done and what he has not done. All of the rest is speculation, regardless of direction of spin.
Can't argue with that!

Agreed. While I agree with Jet that this team isn't far off from last years, his use of the term strawman was used totally out of context.
Yeah I messed that up :P

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I forgot about Apples. That makes it more even, in my mind. You won't replace all the experience of Stats and Copp, but by committee I think the 3 of them can replace the scoring, and defensive acumen. Apples and Gags pking should improve that area for us.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
A new coach CAN create a big difference. Doesn't mean that a new coach will.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm also a little skeptical. I'm just not sure the Jets have the horses. I expect improvement. The question is how much? Probably just enough to squeeze into the PO. Another 7-8 pts should do that.

Can the new coaching staff achieve more than that? I hope so. Just have to wait for the games to be played.
None of us know what is going to happen. We don't know what the coaches will do, which players will improve or which will struggle.

I guess my overarching theme is if you want to be positive, I believe there are a lot of cogent points that can be made to support that feeling.

I choose positivity, it makes it all more fun - which I think is the point of sport.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Our C's are big and skate well(enough). One of them scores well but is defensively challenged. Another plays with a lot of emotion and physicality, scores fairly well but not great. The 3rd plays a physical game but lacks finesse and finish. Doesn't score enough. Don't know who the 4th is.

Our top 6 wingers are mostly small, skate well, score well but are somewhat weak in the D zone. One is big but aging and slowing down. Another is an unproven rookie.

Our bottom 6 is full of question marks.

On D, we don't need 6'5 Hedman but 6'2, 215 and mobile would be nice, especially on the right side. We have 6'4, 220 Dillon on the left, but he lacks mobility. Samberg should be an upgrade on Stanley, but I'm not sure we can say he is a good puck mover. Pionk and Schmidt are good puck movers but both have gaps in their defensive games. Morrissey is the only real 2 way D man we have.

In goal we have a former Vezina winner. He has regressed in consecutive years since winning it. He may or may not rebound to his previous peak form. Backup is another question mark. Helle will play too much and be warn out by PO time.

Not trying to be negative here. There is reason for optimism. Some of the flaws may be fixed by better coaching/systems. But they also may not be. It would sure be nice if there had been some roster improvements to go along with the coaching changes.

I think that Harkins, Barron, Appleton and Gagner have it in them to elevate our bottom 6, at least a little. I hope the new coaching staff can bring that out in them. Maybe Lowry can score like a 3C if he is not being tasked with a strictly shut-down role.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Three days until training camp and we will have a better idea of what is or isn’t happening.

Didn't the Youngstars Tournament used to be held a couple of weeks before TC? There will be players there who should be in TC. Will there be players in TC who should be there?

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I like your optimism, but I don't agree that this year's roster is as strong on paper as last year's was on paper. There are a lot of 'ifs'. IF several things fall into place, the potential is there for this team to be better on the ice than last year's was - even on paper.

The biggest question mark, IMO, is just how big an impact will the coaching changes make? But there are several lesser questions. Will Wheeler and Gagner hold up for 1 more year each? Will Perfetti start to fulfill that potential that we saw hints of last year? Will Appleton return to pre-Seattle form? Will Pionk rebound? Will Dillon and Schmidt find their comfort zones and start to play up to expectations? Will one of Barron or Harkins manage to score at a 3rd line level? And the other big one, will Hellebuyck return to form?

Optimistically, most of those will be answered positively. But excuse me if I don't hold my breath.

I have to admit that I'm starting to get a little excited to get this thing under way. If the players show up ready to buy in this could turn out to be a very good year. I like our roster a lot better than the one Minny had last year, and look at the season they had.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad