Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation - Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
When can teams start making player trades?

Edit - I think I found the answer. 24-48 hours after Cup Finals. Technically teams no longer in playoffs can do trades right now, but not looked upon favorably from NHL. Usually it's just player rights (Dan Boyle e.g.) until after Cup Finals.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Any interest in Kris Versteeg?

Low cap hit of $2.2 for next two years, rsa. His friendship with Ladd is pretty well known. He would add some depth scoring that could move around the line-up in our top 9. Price may not be that high for him either.

Any takers?

For me, we'd have to basically get him for nothing, and with his play and contract, I'm not sure he's worth it. He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

I'd be adding a tiny bit and have them add in a young guy like Morin, just to help them in getting Versteeg off their books.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
When can teams start making player trades?

Edit - I think I found the answer. 24-48 hours after Cup Finals. Technically teams no longer in playoffs can do trades right now, but not looked upon favorably from NHL. Usually it's just player rights (Dan Boyle e.g.) until after Cup Finals.

There are no restrictions on when teams can make a trade. The trade deadline is actually only a deadline for players to qualify for the playoffs. Right now LAK and NYR could technically trade with each other, but those players could not play for this season.

You are also correct that trades during the playoffs are generally frowned upon, especially the finals.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 1h

He's decent, but I don't see a top 6 NHLer. RT @Jcamps30: @coreypronman Why the hype around Jiri Sekac?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
For me, we'd have to basically get him for nothing, and with his play and contract, I'm not sure he's worth it. He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

I'd be adding a tiny bit and have them add in a young guy like Morin, just to help them in getting Versteeg off their books.

Florida is eating half the salary...why in earth would they have to add a decent prospect in Morin to get the guy off the books? His cap hit to Chicago is only 2.2mil, and salary means dick **** to teams like the hawks.

Regardless, he'd be an upgrade on our third line, so I'd take him in a heart beat.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
With regards to the RFA rights for Burmistrov, Kulda & Kubalik, the Jets have to issue qualifying offers again this month to retain their rights, correct? When would the offers from last year have expired? If this is correct, I'd imagine the Jets will qualify Burmistrov and Kulda, but what about Kubalik? How is he viewed as a prospect?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Florida is eating half the salary...why in earth would they have to add a decent prospect in Morin to get the guy off the books? His cap hit to Chicago is only 2.2mil, and salary means dick **** to teams like the hawks.

Regardless, he'd be an upgrade on our third line, so I'd take him in a heart beat.

Because they may be looking for cap space, and looking ahead to 2015 to when they need to sign Toews and Kane.

Versteeg was punted from the Panthers and they even retained salary to make it work. He was healthy scratched for a few games in the playoffs if I recall. Taking on Versteeg is doing the Hawks a favour IMO.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not too long ago, I made up a statistic that combines possession and point scoring rates.

I first named it arbitrary stat, as I arbitrarily defined scoring rates equal to possession in value and also arbitrarily made each player responsible for 1/5th the possession while they are on the ice.

I replaced the name Arbitrary Stat to just Arby for shot. A bit of a h/t to contrarian Ryan.

It seems to do generally okay. Although, I already know some areas where it could have huge improvements (even beyond my 0.5 and 1/5 weightings). However, I'm not improving upon it, as I have a side project going on now that is hopefully replacing GVT with a predictive WAR stat.

Anyways, here are the Arby numbers for Jets players:
BppLDKjCUAAKzO6.jpg

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not too long ago, I made up a statistic that combines possession and point scoring rates.

I first named it arbitrary stat, as I arbitrarily defined scoring rates equal to possession in value and also arbitrarily made each player responsible for 1/5th the possession while they are on the ice.

I replaced the name Arbitrary Stat to just Arby for shot. A bit of a h/t to contrarian Ryan.

It seems to do generally okay. Although, I already know some areas where it could have huge improvements (even beyond my 0.5 and 1/5 weightings). However, I'm not improving upon it, as I have a side project going on now that is hopefully replacing GVT with a predictive WAR stat.

Anyways, here are the Arby numbers for Jets players:
BppLDKjCUAAKzO6.jpg

So, 30 GMs missing the boat on Wellwood, the Jets' most effective player? ;)

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Well there's zero usage context (plus many other issues)... but Wellwood was still NHL calibre so yes 30 GMs missed on that.

Still is somewhat in the order I would expect.

Well i thin it's accurate i mean,

Arby hates schiefele... and Arby's hate schiefele!

...I kid, I kid. Interesting to see him so low. Otherwise it looks pretty close to right to me. neat idea anyways.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
With regards to the RFA rights for Burmistrov, Kulda & Kubalik, the Jets have to issue qualifying offers again this month to retain their rights, correct? When would the offers from last year have expired? If this is correct, I'd imagine the Jets will qualify Burmistrov and Kulda, but what about Kubalik? How is he viewed as a prospect?

You know I've looked in CBA for this in the past but couldn't find anything. I am fairly certain that they don't need to qualify them again but I could be wrong.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Well i thin it's accurate i mean,

Arby hates schiefele... and Arby's hate schiefele!

...I kid, I kid. Interesting to see him so low. Otherwise it looks pretty close to right to me. neat idea anyways.

He'll probably improve in time though.

Once Tangradi figures out how to score...watch out!

Not sure if he ever will. Still beats the hell out of most of our 4th line players we've ever had though.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He'll probably improve in time though.

Not sure if he ever will. Still beats the hell out of most of our 4th line players we've ever had though.

I have a clear viewer bias with Schief but my belief is Mark was a late bloomer and also got off to a slow start over the first 20 or so games this past season in the NHL. I believe he will continue to get better in the possession stats over the next 2 to 3 seasons but time will tell. I like how he reads the game and he does seem to maximize the value of his possession. I believe he has strong scorers instincts and a pretty nice shot and I will be really interested to see if those skills translate into results on the score sheet and in the advanced stars areas.

We could use another power play asset from our forward group to step up and I liked Mark's zone entry at speed on the PP as the season progressed.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm very concerned that there may not be enough crow to go around if someone other than Pavalec ends up starting 55+ games next season.

Why crow? Many people are frightened that exactly that will happen. Maybe crow if he plays 55+ games and doesn't outright suck.

EDIT: Duh. Reading comprehension, Jet. :blush:

Last edited:

jetkarma*

. I like how he reads the game and he does seem to maximize the value of his possession. I believe he has strong scorers instincts and a pretty nice shot.

IMO he has a much better than a pretty nice shot . :)

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'm very concerned that there may not be enough crow to go around if someone other than Pavalec ends up starting 55+ games next season.

Who would be eating crow and why? People are hoping somebody can unseat Pav, but there are no guarantees that whoever does will post great numbers. It may be likely at this point, but there are no guarantees. Anything can happen with single season goalie numbers.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Hearing the Jets and Boston are talking trade. Don't know the principles but it sounds like guys like Marchand,Boychuk and possible either Buff or Kane are involved.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Hearing the Jets and Boston are talking trade. Don't know the principles but it sounds like guys like Marchand,Boychuk and possible either Buff or Kane are involved.

If Buff or Kane are moving, I hope a 1st in 2015 is included.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Just a note to everyone

There is a TON of rumor spreading this time of year before the chat. Nothing is set in stone.

I think the Jets are meeting next week for there scout talk before the draft too.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Those rumours have been floating for a while and they were started by a Twitter account called HockeyRumors or RumorHockey or something like that.

And there's this...

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano 9h

This is interesting: Jets pro scout Jack Birch "There have been no discussions with the Boston Bruins."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad