Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation - Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duir

Was just browsing through the news and saw the yearly speculation that Snow may be looking to move #5 pick. The other part of that is many ppl on the boards seem to think that Kane would be the one who would fit with Johnny T.

In a hypothetical world, what would we want with the #5? Pick isn't enough, so who else?

Big fan of Cizikas for the 3C role. Love to have him in that package somehow. Maybe Mayfield on D for the big mobile shut down guy to eventually replace Stuart? Those two and the #5 and retain the #9, thats a decent core going forward, provided we pick well.

What are all your thoughts?

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
From what I've seen the Islanders fans would very much love to acquire Kane. With good reason, he looks like he'd fit like a glove on their top line.

I've seen proposals like:

5th + strome

5th + Pulock + both their 2014 2nd round picks

Coming from their end, I think the majority of their fans don't like those, but if a few are ok with it, probably getting close to right.

I'd personally want more than 5th + Cizikas + Mayfield.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
From what I've seen the Islanders fans would very much love to acquire Kane. With good reason, he looks like he'd fit like a glove on their top line.

I've seen proposals like:

5th + strome

5th + Pulock + both their 2014 2nd round picks

Coming from their end, I think the majority of their fans don't like those, but if a few are ok with it, probably getting close to right.

I'd personally want more than 5th + Cizikas + Mayfield.

Yea Isles fans want Kane but underrate him in trade proposals that I have seen. I would be very Leary to move Kane without having a proven roster player coming back but I would love the number 5 pick this year.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Part of it too is they sensed a bit of a entitled attitude out of Niedereiter and just shipped him out. Some seem hesitant to see the Isles make a pitch for him on those grounds.

Playing with Taveres would help anyone's game so I have no doubt he'd excel there.

I'm kind of hoping to take a run at finally making playoffs this year, it would be tough to see Kane or Buff go. I'm not so sure either one will be dealt...

Waldo

May 27, 2002
Winnipeg
Visit site
Yea Isles fans want Kane but underrate him in trade proposals that I have seen. I would be very Leary to move Kane without having a proven roster player coming back but I would love the number 5 pick this year.

I would like to see us go with our own guys now. I don't want to see anymore Wright or Halischuk or Tangradi pickups anymore. We have our own marginal players like Cormier and Klingberg in SJ even if it costs us a playoff spot. We could use another high draft pick next year. However, if we drafted 5th and 9th that would add significantly to our top prospects pool.

If we are upgrading from within as Chevy said, Hutch and Morrissey may be the two new prospects we need to add every year. That may not be enough to make the playoffs but I wouldn't mind getting a high pick in a great 2015 draft year.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Was just browsing through the news and saw the yearly speculation that Snow may be looking to move #5 pick. The other part of that is many ppl on the boards seem to think that Kane would be the one who would fit with Johnny T.

In a hypothetical world, what would we want with the #5? Pick isn't enough, so who else?

Big fan of Cizikas for the 3C role. Love to have him in that package somehow. Maybe Mayfield on D for the big mobile shut down guy to eventually replace Stuart? Those two and the #5 and retain the #9, thats a decent core going forward, provided we pick well.

Brock Nelson.

For me, none of those little add ons (Mayfield, Pelech, Baily, etc) are enough with the pick to move Kane. We would be "hoping" the pick turns into a Kane, and it would likely take 3 years for that to happen.

The Islanders would have to add a guy like Nelson to the package. A young guy that can step in and contribute a portion of Kane's lost offense.

There was a report that the Islanders were interested in Clitsome. I'd package up Kane and Clitsome for the 5th and Nelson myself (or something else in that range of value). But I may like Nelson more than some on this board. I don't want to even trade Kane at all, but that just shows how I view Nelson.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Brock Nelson.

For me, none of those little add ons (Mayfield, Pelech, Baily, etc) are enough with the pick to move Kane. We would be "hoping" the pick turns into a Kane, and it would likely take 3 years for that to happen.

The Islanders would have to add a guy like Nelson to the package. A young guy that can step in and contribute a portion of Kane's lost offense.

There was a report that the Islanders were interested in Clitsome. I'd package up Kane and Clitsome for the 5th and Nelson myself. But I may like Nelson more than some on this board. I don't want to even trade Kane at all, but that just shows how I view Nelson.

I like Nelson too.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Bqk5aqECUAAryUF.jpg

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Nice scoop by Edmonton if they can get him signed.

Instead of a conditional pick they get to talk and then make the trade if fruitful

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Clarification: EDM has window in which it's permissible to negotiate with CBJ pending UFA Nikita Nikitin, but no trade has yet been made.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Brock Nelson.

There was a report that the Islanders were interested in Clitsome. I'd package up Kane and Clitsome for the 5th and Nelson myself (or something else in that range of value). But I may like Nelson more than some on this board. I don't want to even trade Kane at all, but that just shows how I view Nelson.

I've been a fan of Nelson since his draft year. I really like the overall game he brings. And yeah, I'd add something along these lines to get this done.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Brock Nelson.

5th overall + Brock Nelson is something I would entertain if a Kane move was being discussed. Then trade Byfuglien in a deal for either a top 6 forward (Brayden Schenn has long been a top choice of mine) or in a deal like Ottawa did for Ryan last summer, a young/promising roster player (Silverberg) + top prospect (Noesen) + 1st round pick. Bobby Ryan, like Byfuglien, also had 2 years remaining on his deal. So I think we should ideally be able to get something similar if we don't go straight up young top 6 player like a Brayden Schenn (for example). Then sign a UFA or two and we may be alright. Though, much of these pieces are futures so... not sure which direction we would go, honestly..

Last edited:

19kiefer94

Jun 3, 2014
Winterpeg
Have not heard much about him on here, but what would the advanced stats guys think about bringing in Dustin Penner for 2MM on the third line? Or move back to LLW, Fro to the third line, and let Penner stand in front of the night and bash in Kane's rebounds (he might be a bit slow to keep up with K-S so maybe not).

Maybe its my hometown bias (grew up 5 minutes down the road from Winkler) but I've always loved the idea of him on our third line and we might be able to convince him to come finish off the last few years of his career at home.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I personally would try to get Strome over Brock. Higher upside imo. Produced very well while spliting time between the NHL this season and over a PPG in the AHL. Roll him and Scheif on a line. young enough at 20 to learn to play the wing and center, plus was trending around the same mark for point production with Mark.
JMO
if they are throwing him and their 5th out there as Jetabre was saying.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Byfuglien played the off-wing with Wheeler and Jokinen last year for a stretch and they were a very good line.

I'd have to disagree that the only way to fill our 3rd line is to trade away a top talent. Two 3rd liners should easily be found in FA for "free".
Byfug might be the most expendable asset to us on HF talking trade, but I'm not yet convinced that Chevy wants to move him at all.

If he does go, I Definitely want a 2014 (top-15) or a 2015 1st to be a mandatory piece, but i'm sure we all do.

I can see Buff lining up on his off side. Even when he lines up on the right he tends to cross over at times. I didn't say trading Buff was the only way but that there is no better way. I'm ruling out signing multiple FAs 1) because the 'auction' tends to inflate their price and 2) I think Chevy shies away from the FA market to some extent. I'm not that committed to picks coming back as long as the players are young, 23-25 YO. We need forward depth now. Picks pay off in 3-4 years. Buff is a premium player who can bring multiple good pieces in return. If one of those pieces is a pick I don't mind as long as it doesn't detract from getting (I think) the necessary 2 good 3rd line players. I'm wanting 2 guys who will give the Jets a good 3rd line for the next 8-10 years. Several of the suggested scenarios here would do that without IMO demanding excessive payment for Buff.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Have not heard much about him on here, but what would the advanced stats guys think about bringing in Dustin Penner for 2MM on the third line? Or move back to LLW, Fro to the third line, and let Penner stand in front of the night and bash in Kane's rebounds (he might be a bit slow to keep up with K-S so maybe not).

Maybe its my hometown bias (grew up 5 minutes down the road from Winkler) but I've always loved the idea of him on our third line and we might be able to convince him to come finish off the last few years of his career at home.

Penner has good numbers.

I like Penner too.

Not sure if he is a TN type though (slow skating).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Cizikas looks like O'Dell to me. Mayfield looks a bit like Ellerby. Them and #5 doesn't do much for me. I think there are much better ways of getting value for Kane.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Brock Nelson.

You're reading my mind. :laugh:

If it's a deal built around Kane for the Isles 5th, Nelson is the guy that has to be coming back. Cizikas doesn't interest me in the slightest, he's a meh 4th liner with perhaps a bit of upside.

I would definitely do that deal you mentioned involving Clitsome. Interesting to hear about the Isles interest in him, do you know if that was prior to his back surgery? Postma is another guy we could send their way in that trade. Honestly though, I think Kane for Nelson + 5th is pretty close to even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad