Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation - Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duir

I don't really know if the Isles would be good with Nelson let alone Strome TBH. (They wouldn't be good with either according to their fans on HF ;) ). Strome may have some higher upside, but Nelson is looking pretty good too. He's bigger, a little further along at the moment, and many Islander fans have him as possibly JT's winger on the 1st line next season. He was pretty good in the WC's as well.

I might take flak for this, but if it came down to it, and someone unforeseen was at 5 (say some combination of the Panthers moving and taking Nylander, the Flames taking Ritchie, etc), and you have a guy like Sam Bennett sitting there, I would probably move Kane and our 9th for the 5th and Nelson. I think Nelson could give you 70% or more of Kane's production next year, and the difference between a Bennett and a guy we're likely to get at 9 could be significant.

Now I don't know why the Isles would be willing to move their 1st to try to get better immediately, but would want a pick back as part of the deal. They'd probably want a roster player instead of the 9th. But that's something I would probably do from a "value" perspective. As Guerzy posted, maybe replace the 9th with Buff, but get something back like a Cizikas.

Kane + Buff

For

Nelson + 5th (only if it's a faller like a Bennett) + Cizikas

That's a pretty aggressive trade for the Jets IMO. We'd be worse next year swapping Kane and Buff for Nelson and Cizikas. But we'd be younger and cheaper, and if the Jets used some of the massive cap and salary savings (10.42 - 2(guess) = 8.42 extra to spend) on another player the team could be the same or even better. Plus, they would be adding Bennett (which is why I would even be thinking about it) and heaven help us if someone else "drops" to 9 like an Ehlers?

The Islanders would be a better team next year for sure (if that's their motivation). Even if Nelson could put up 70% of Kane, the pick isn't going to be in the NHL, and Buff is going to be a massive improvement to their record over Cizikas. Their only downside is if Nelson develops closer to Kane, and the loss of the pick (which is compensated by Buff, who they could re-sign, of flip in two deadlines).

Try not to rip me apart too much, considering the trades we see in then NHL these days, this is pretty pie in the sky stuff. Just throwing it out there for fun discussion purposes.

Of course you posted this after my long winded one. ;)

If we could get your deal, I would take it in a second. I think it's asking a lot though IMO.

Great discussion. The bolded is actually a trade I would do for your exact reason. I looked into Nelson after one of the posts above and he would be a good addition over Mayfield. I am big on Cizikas, he is just so reliable - reminds me of a Frolik with a little less of the offensive instinct.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If you are packaging Kane and Clitsome up for a move to the Islanders you want the 5th overall pick, one of Strome/Nelson and one of Pulock/DeHann. That is just the minimum of a return you want.

Draft Draisatl/Bennett/Reinhart/Ekblad/Dal Colle and then move the 9th for 12 to 15 draft Fabbri/Tuch/Fiala

Thats a lot of restocking

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Apparently Linden was on Van radio today and said more teams are looking to move down than move up right now. It could drive the price down for moving up, if Chevy is so inclined.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If you are packaging Kane and Clitsome up for a move to the Islanders you want the 5th overall pick, one of Strome/Nelson and one of Pulock/DeHann. That is just the minimum of a return you want.

Draft Draisatl/Bennett/Reinhart/Ekblad/Dal Colle and then move the 9th for 12 to 15 draft Fabbri/Tuch/Fiala

Thats a lot of restocking

That would be huge. And I thought my valuation was good for us. Wow. I'd take that obviously if it was available.

I don't see how the Islanders think about that though. Sure Kane should put up more points than Strome or Nelson, but how many more? The 5th is a pretty decent premium IMO for that difference, and we get to swap Clitsome for DeHann?

19kiefer94

Jun 3, 2014
Winterpeg
Or the Buff to Detroit for Tatar/Jurco and a 1st.

this instead of the anaheim trade i'm suggesting here would work too....

This suggestion probably will get me crucified buuuutttt, as much as I love Wheeler I think we should trade him. I feel like we could get a king's ransom for him in a trade and he is a few years too old for the ideal core we need to build around.. I doubt both happen, but I would love to see something like IF both he and buff were traded:

Buff to ANA, DSP + 10th + ??? to WPG
Wheeler to Pitt, Maatta + Sutter + 2014 (15?) 1st to WPG.

This leaves our lineup like this:
Ladd/Litte/Frolik
Kane/Sheif/???
???/Sutter/DSP
Klingberg/Slater/Tango (peluso)

Enstrom/Trouba
Maatta/Bogo
Morrissey/Stu
One of our dozen bubble D-men

I realize that line-up will get killed this year (cap total probably in the 55-60ish range)
but that gets us a better chance at McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes and then our prospect pool looks pretty strong with additions of lets say Larkin and Ehlers or something for fun. In 3 years you have this tho (with almost everyone being 22-28)

Kane/Sheif/Ehlers
Ladd/Little/Frolik
Larkin/Sutter (Petan?)/Kosmo
Lipon/Lowry (Copp?)/Klingberg

Maatta/Trouba
Morrissey/Bogo
???/Stu :help:

I can see that roster being a contender for years- obviously players become worth too much so we trade for picks and replenish the 3rd line with youth ELCs every couple years. This also doesn't include the 2015 draft picks we would have..

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ya? ok, interesting.

But... would Garth Snow want Byfuglien? :naughty: .. I kind of think so with Garth being Garth. They need a top offensive defenseman, Byfuglien ranks atop the entire league there. Hamonic is their #1 guy on the right side, Byfuglien could slot in as the #2 on the second pairing, right side. He's got a Stanley Cup on his resume. And, he's locked up for the next 2 seasons, so he's a guaranteed player there.

This is all if Byfuglien would waive his NTC to go to the Isles. He can select 5 teams in which he cannot be traded to.

If this deal were done Buff would be on their 1st pair ahead of Hamonic.

I'm beginning to warm to this idea which probably means it has no chance of happening but I would throw in Postma if necessary to get it done.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
BqlwJuRCYAE4vV3.png:large

@garrethohl · 4m
Looks like B. Richards still has value as 2nd line player and Booth + M. Richards as 3rd line players *IF* at the right $ amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad