Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
he's as good as gone. 5th rnd pick should get him.

also, with Carlyle's extension (hahaa!) and Nonis's comments about changes coming, i'm hoping we can dump Buff on the Leafs for Gardiner and a minor league piece (not that the leafs have much) and/or 1st round pick.

On the trade boards there was agreement with one Sharks poster (Jux) on Buff + 9 for Pavelski + 49.

I would make that trade myself.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Hutch can be signed for under $1M for 1 or 2 years. Reimer will take much more $ and more term. He might turn out to be Pavelec 2. Don't see the fit here.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
On the trade boards there was agreement with one Sharks poster (Jux) on Buff + 9 for Pavelski + 49.

I saw that and agree with your negotiations. I would lean toward that deal obviously trying hard to swap firsts before accepting their 2nd (if they still have their first)... and I might be Byfug's biggest fan on here. Pavelski would be quite the addition.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

I wouldn't.

Pavelski is unlikely to ever do this level of production again. His sh% was over 18, and he's almost thirty years old. He's a sixty point player, which is nothing to sneeze at but hardly worth Buff and losing our first when don't have a 2nd 3rd or 5th,

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I wouldn't.

Pavelski is unlikely to ever do this level of production again. His sh% was over 18, and he's almost thirty years old. He's a sixty point player, which is nothing to sneeze at but hardly worth Buff and losing our first when don't have a 2nd 3rd or 5th,

Just a heads up, we have a 1st, 3rd, (2) 4th round picks, and our 5th - 7th round this upcoming draft.

The second 4th rounder is from the Ponikarovky trade.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I like that idea too, but suspect:

Pav will remain a Jet
Pav will be the starter next year
Pav will struggle
Pav will remain the starter through the 30 game mark
Pav will finally yield a few games to Hutch

**This Point Will Be Crutial**

1) If Hutch plays well he takes the job
2) If Hutch struggles even a little bit he will give the job back to Pav

If #2 is true - No playoffs

Actually if P*** is starter for 85% of the first 30 games & he's crappy (both highly likely), we're already in too deep a hole to make the playoffs

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Maurice will see Reimer up close for next couple of weeks. How he prepares, how he plays.

Wonder if that might have an impact later this summer?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Just a heads up, we have a 1st, 3rd, (2) 4th round picks, and our 5th - 7th round this upcoming draft.

The second 4th rounder is from the Ponikarovky trade.

3rd and fifth went to chicago in the Frolik trade.

Either way, still not interested in moving Buff and our First for that. Pavelski doesn't make us a contender, and he's going to start declining sooner rather then later considering that he is almost at the end of his prime years.

Pavelski may be the best player in the trade, but this past season is not the norm. Its the exception...its like Kesler's Selke year. the guy is a 65+ pt player, which is pretty good...but I'd rather go younger then that.

Buff is a high level defenseman with a very unique skill set and has stayed close to the top of defensemen scoring the past few years. He should be treated as such.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
3rd and fifth went to chicago in the Frolik trade.

Either way, still not interested in moving Buff and our First for that. Pavelski doesn't make us a contender, and he's going to start declining sooner rather then later considering that he is almost at the end of his prime years.

Pavelski may be the best player in the trade, but this past season is not the norm. Its the exception...its like Kesler's Selke year. the guy is a 65+ pt player, which is pretty good...but I'd rather go younger then that.

Buff is a high level defenseman with a very unique skill set and has stayed close to the top of defensemen scoring the past few years. He should be treated as such.

Frolik trade was for 3rd and 5th round picks last year (2013), not 2014.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Maurice will see Reimer up close for next couple of weeks. How he prepares, how he plays.

Wonder if that might have an impact later this summer?

Interesting. Could be.

This WHC could turn out to be very important for the Jets moving forward :laugh:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Reimer could really benefit from being out from under the microscope of the Leafs Nation, and I imagine that he doesn't like Carlyle much. I can see him holding out for a trade.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Reimer could really benefit from being out from under the microscope of the Leafs Nation, and I imagine that he doesn't like Carlyle much. I can see him holding out for a trade.

While I completely agree with your reasoning, I am not certain if Reimer can walk away from his 1.8 million dollar QO. Not sure he can do better elsewhere. He may ask for a trade, which he should as Bernier is a clear #1, but that 1.8 QO makes hard for him to reject it and hold out.

Personally I would incredibly welcome 3rd/4th rounder + Reimer at @ 1.8 million + 1.4 million buyout for Pavelec @ 3.9 million. Man would that make a great deal. Let's hope Chevy sees the light.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Sometimes money doesn't mean as much as being happy, y'know? I can't imagine that he's absolutely thrilled with people on Twitter asking his wife to kill him. Plus, his value is pretty low right now. If he gets to another market and rebounds, it'll look pretty good going into FA, should he persue it.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sometimes money doesn't mean as much as being happy, y'know? I can't imagine that he's absolutely thrilled with people on Twitter asking his wife to kill him.

I hear that. It's a tough situation for all involved though. Toronto can't really let him go for nothing when they can retain his rights for 1.8 million. Reimer can't really turn down the 1.8 million when he might be cutting that in half to go anywhere else if he turns down QO. That's 900,000 dollars he could be leaving on the table. How much abuse on twitter would you take for that amount of money?

Yes if TOR offers QO and he accepts QO he can demand trade but there's no guarantees there (might be forced into Lu scenario). It's a bad situation no doubt but that's why Jets should jump on the opportunity to get him for 3rd/4th round pick. Given the real chance to prove himself against Hutchinson/Greiss/Johnson/Talbot he might just like here.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I hear that. It's a tough situation for all involved though. Toronto can't really let him go for nothing when they can retain his rights for 1.8 million. Reimer can't really turn down the 1.8 million when he might be cutting that in half to go anywhere else if he turns down QO. That's 900,000 dollars he could be leaving on the table. How much abuse on twitter would you take for that amount of money?

Yes if TOR offers QO and he accepts QO he can demand trade but there's no guarantees there (might be forced into Lu scenario). It's a bad situation no doubt but that's why Jets should jump on the opportunity to get him for 3rd/4th round pick. Given the real chance to prove himself against Hutchinson/Greiss/Johnson/Talbot he might just like here.

Couldn't he opt for arbitration? I think he could get more than his 1.8 QO. It seems arbitrators tend to side with the players more often.

I also don't think Toronto is in the financial shape to keep a disgruntled 2 million player round. If Chevy is interested and he should be he likely holds the hammer in a trade scenario.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Couldn't he opt for arbitration? I think he could get more than his 1.8 QO. It seems arbitrators tend to side with the players more often.

I also don't think Toronto is in the financial shape to keep a disgruntled 2 million player round. If Chevy is interested and he should be he likely holds the hammer in a trade scenario.

The thing about NHL arbitration is that they basically pick their own number, it's not picking players or team's number like MLB. It does have to be between their numbers, but since it's not restricted to either number the variation is huge.

Whether Reimer would elect that again that's really risky. He could probably get more but again he is likely stuck to Toronto and will have wasted most of the summer where he could moved. By mid-August when the arbitration hearings almost all, if not all, teams will have settled what they want to go into next year with in net. It's a much more restrictive position than any other in pro sports (ok NFL QB is probably the only exception here).

I do agree that Chevy would hold the hammer though. There are very very few teams in the league looking for 2 million dollar goalie. Almost none. And despite the Carlyle-Reimer divide Reimer is still a goalie you cannot just let go of. However this is also assuming Chevy is smart and ditches Pavelec. I'm not sure what you mean about TOR not being in financial position as TOR could double the cap and still not be in any financial issue. Nor are they really worried about cap.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I wouldn't.

Pavs would be worth that to us as a 60 point guy (which I also think he is). He's 29 which isn't the greatest, but has 5 more years on his deal. In that proposal, we also got back the Sharks 2nd which is 49th.

I'd love to be able to package a bunch of middling assets for a good player like a lot of people on HF think is feasible, but I don't think it's very realistic.

The way I look at this deal is, Buff and Pavs to me are closer in value than many on HF want to admit. Buff has a lot of value as a point producing RHD, as those are very valuable. Pavs is a good two way centre, who can also play wing very well. Lot's of utility there for us to move players around the lineup. The difference is in their contracts, and I would be personally be willing to pay the difference in 40 spots to get a guy with that much term left.

Not saying that this is where the org should go, as they could also just keep Buff, or try to move him for younger pieces as well. But this is one option that isn't bad to me either. Turning Buff into an Olympic caliber top 6 forward.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The thing about NHL arbitration is that they basically pick their own number, it's not picking players or team's number like MLB. It does have to be between their numbers, but since it's not restricted to either number the variation is huge.

Whether Reimer would elect that again that's really risky. He could probably get more but again he is likely stuck to Toronto and will have wasted most of the summer where he could moved. By mid-August when the arbitration hearings almost all, if not all, teams will have settled what they want to go into next year with in net. It's a much more restrictive position than any other in pro sports (ok NFL QB is probably the only exception here).

I do agree that Chevy would hold the hammer though. There are very very few teams in the league looking for 2 million dollar goalie. Almost none. And despite the Carlyle-Reimer divide Reimer is still a goalie you cannot just let go of. However this is also assuming Chevy is smart and ditches Pavelec. I'm not sure what you mean about TOR not being in financial position as TOR could double the cap and still not be in any financial issue. Nor are they really worried about cap.

They have about $22 million to sign 10 to 11 players, that's not a substantial amount of room.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I'm really warming up to the idea of:

Grabbing Reimer either via trade, or FA (if Leafs don't qualify him, but I think they would)
Promoting Hutch
Buying out Pavelec

That should make us better short term and long term. Both guys are young, and allows Hellybuck some playing time and development in the AHL. No need to rush him.

This is a really good idea..

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Pavs would be worth that to us as a 60 point guy (which I also think he is). He's 29 which isn't the greatest, but has 5 more years on his deal. In that proposal, we also got back the Sharks 2nd which is 49th.

I'd love to be able to package a bunch of middling assets for a good player like a lot of people on HF think is feasible, but I don't think it's very realistic.

The way I look at this deal is, Buff and Pavs to me are closer in value than many on HF want to admit. Buff has a lot of value as a point producing RHD, as those are very valuable. Pavs is a good two way centre, who can also play wing very well. Lot's of utility there for us to move players around the lineup. The difference is in their contracts, and I would be personally be willing to pay the difference in 40 spots to get a guy with that much term left.

Not saying that this is where the org should go, as they could also just keep Buff, or try to move him for younger pieces as well. But this is one option that isn't bad to me either. Turning Buff into an Olympic caliber top 6 forward.

But the difference between the two is not 40 spots in the draft. Honestly, I would agree if our team was one Pavelski away from a being a contender...but we aren't. That is just the reality of the situation, even with Pavelski we are the last playoff spot regardless. This is a team that is currently building for tomorrow, and we aren't going to do that with trading away top ten picks in a package for an aging centerman.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
But the difference between the two is not 40 spots in the draft. Honestly, I would agree if our team was one Pavelski away from a being a contender...but we aren't. That is just the reality of the situation, even with Pavelski we are the last playoff spot regardless. This is a team that is currently building for tomorrow, and we aren't going to do that with trading away top ten picks in a package for an aging centerman.

I could really go either way on this deal myself. In this draft I don't know if the player at 9 is going to be a huge difference maker a few years from now. Could be I guess. I'm hoping for a guy like Ehlers at 9.

I don't think Pavelski takes us to contender status next year, but possibly closer to the playoffs maybe. He is 29, but I think he'll be a good player for the 5 years on his contract.

I could still see keeping the 9th, and (if he's moved), move Buff for younger guys as well.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Assuming Joe plays wing and not Center, in Wpg, where does he slot in? With Ladd & Little? Suppose Little could slide over as well.

I'm not sure I like moving the 1st this year. Still think you can get a valuable piece of the future puzzle at 9. I'd throw in a prospect with Buff for just Pav.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Assuming Joe plays wing and not Center, in Wpg, where does he slot in? With Ladd & Little? Suppose Little could slide over as well.

I'm not sure I like moving the 1st this year. Still think you can get a valuable piece of the future puzzle at 9. I'd throw in a prospect with Buff for just Pav.

I'd put him at second line C with Ladd and Little(at RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad