Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Reimer

I do think that Reimer might be a decent solution for the Jets in goal, though I have some reservations.

I would only want to trade for Reimer if the cost is fairly low, because I think his trade value is low and the Leafs will be motivated to move him rather than re-sign him.

We might want to consider that the Jets just might be the best destination for a goalie like Reimer that is looking for a #1 gig. This might help if Reimer and his agent are motivated to get him to Winnipeg.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The more I think about it the more I seem to think that Kane is the guy we should never trade. We should start with Ladd and Buff for several reasons. If things aren't going well next year they should be gone for sure, but the reason I move them is that their contracts are up soon and our young guys are still a few years away. TNSE will continue to be patient and trading these guys for younger prospects that will help us in 1-3 years is important.
It would be nice for them to go to a contender and I imagine the return for Ladd is high right now and won't get any higher. The story in the WFP states Ladd feels time is floating by, I don't see us contending anytime soon so move those two vets while you can, and load up with guys that will help when Petan, Lowry, Morrissey, Hellebuck, Comrie, Kosmachuk, Copp, etc are ready. Build around Kane, Little, Wheeler and Schief up front and Bogo and Trouba on the back end.
I keep flip flopping but I really think this is the way to go for complete success 3 years down the road.
Hope to make playoffs next year but build a real winner that's not far away.

Ladd to ANA for Ottawa's 1st and Smith Pelly and Sbisa is start.
Buff and Burmi to Philly for Simmonds and Coburn.

Then we draft lets say Perlini and Ritchie, and we are looking very good for many years down the road, which is what TNSE is building for.

Kane Scheif Wheeler
Frolik Little Simmonds
Lowry Petan Smith Pelly
Lipon Copp Kossy
Perlini and Ritchie down the pipeline, wow!

Enstrom Trouba
Morrissey Bogo
Coburn Sbisa

Notice the depth, lots of trading chips now. I know this seems like NHL 14, but my point is now is the time to build the team for when all these guys are ready, I know we are too young there but that's a lineup without UFA's that could fill in until all those young guys are ready.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
The four most likely to be traded this summer in my opinion are:

1. Buff
  2. Kane
  3. Bogo
  4. Ladd

Buff and Ladd because their contracts are up in two years and either player or mgt is unwilling to ink extension next year. Bogo and Kane due to market value possibly exceeding mgt's opinion of them.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I should note, that's not the roster i want next year but in 2-3 years. I'm all for having Odell, joker slater ont the bottom six until then, I just think we need to build a team around new leaders, wheeler, Trouba, bogo, scheif, little. Not that Ladd is a bad leader but we need to turn a new leaf here.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm not up for trading Kane at all. He seemed to be finding chemistry with Scheifele, and has some with O'Dell. Maurice has him being more creative in the offensive zone, getting the D to over commit to him then he dishes it off. He also seems to respect O'Dells shot.

As far as next years roster, I see three holes that need to be filled. This bars any blockbuster trades:

First is a middle six LW, I'd like to get a guy that is flexible and can also play center. If only there was a guy we had the rights to that is a lefty and can play either wing or center and is good defensively. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm: . If Burmistrov doesn't work other targets include Cammalleri, Jussi Jokinen.

Second is that hole at LHD. We need a top 4 LHD. Unfortunately we're spending a lot of money on the left side as it is, I wouldn't mind trading off Clitsome and going for an upgrade. We're spending 10.4M as it is, and I just don't see the talent. As opposed to about $7 million on the right side not including Buff. I'd love to see a UFA like Nikitin here.

Third is the goalie. We need a clear starter. A UFA for 2-3 years, and it's not a huge deal if we overspend a bit. UFA targets are Elliott, Halak, Hiller, Miller, Greiss, Johnson, Peters, Thomas. RFA targets include Reimer and I'm sure there's more.

Unfortunately with the Pavelec buyout we may have an internal cap, but as it sits we will have around $19 million to spend if we compliance Pavelec, re-sign Frolik at $4, O'Dell, Redmond, Hutchinson near minimums. I wouldn't mind giving the latter 3 2 year cheap contracts like Postma. Signing O'Dell to a contract like that could be a steal.

Jokinen, Setoguchi, Montoya, Pardy, Halischuk, Wright all walk. Trade Ellerbys rights.

Ladd - Little - Frolik
Kane - Scheifele - Wheeler
#1 - O'Dell - Buff
Tangradi - Slater - Peluso

Enstrom - Bogosian
#2 - Trouba
Stuart - Postma
Redmond

Hutchinson

That being said this isn't a world beater lineup, and isn't much of an upgrade over the current roster. I view next year as a development year, but could be a good year especially with a good starting goalie.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
What people dont understand about TSNE is that they are a business, one that is in the money making business and they are very good at it. With the way things have been the last few years, and probably will continue to be, is trading Ladd a good business move? While his return may be pretty good, this is a team that needs to start winning fairly soon, and Ladd is a highly regarded member of the team, very well respected in the community, kids love him. I dont see it happening any time soon guys. Only and only if contract talks go very stale with him do they move him. You guys might say well it needs to be a hockey decision but believe me, there are business aspects to all moves/non-moves as well.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
^-----

No one on this team is untouchable if the right deal comes along.

What will look far worse next season than trading a fan favorite, will be missing the playoffs for a fourth year.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Baring any trades, Allan I think your lineup would be a good start. If the Jets could somehow convince Burmi to come back, and sign a guy like Hemsky, that line could put up some points as well.

On another note, even though the cap is going up, could there be a team or two that may want to shed some cap in the offseason? Mainly because they have other higher priced deals to sign? The Hawks and Bruins spring to mind off the top of my head.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
^-----

No one on this team is untouchable if the right deal comes along.

What will look far worse next season than trading a fan favorite, will be missing the playoffs for a fourth year.

If Ladd goes do you really think they are getting fair value when it comes to a roster player? That wont be a trade that happens. Especially when you consider you are doing it to make the playoffs.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Unfortunately with the Pavelec buyout we may have an internal cap,
That old canard again, sigh. Buying out P****** SAVES TNSE MONEY. Due to his back-loaded contract, he'd be getting on average $4.25 million per season for the next 3 seasons. A buyout would cost only 2/3rds of his salary, so we'd save 1/3rd, i.e. $1,416,667 per year for the next 3 years. There are plenty of decent goalies out there available for that money or less, who can easily come up with a better SV%.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
How are these potential trades with NYI from a value perspective (ignoring NTC impacts):

Kane and Buff or Bogo

for

Hickey, Grabner, 2014 #1, 2015 #1

OR

Scheifele, Bogo, 2014 #1

for

Tavares

(depending on which direction the Isles are going this offseason)

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
How are these potential trades with NYI from a value perspective (ignoring NTC impacts):

Kane and Buff or Bogo

for

OR

Scheifele, Bogo, 2014 #1

for

Tavares

Islanders will only have one first rounder in next two years...one of them will go to Buffalo.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Kane and Buff or Bogo

for

OR

Scheifele, Bogo, 2014 #1

for

Tavares

The Isles don't have both a 2014 and 2015 pick. One of them is going to the Sabres for the Vanek deal.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Taveres is only being dealt if he asks for it, and the Isles will have 29 offers. Hard to see us winning those sweepstakes.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Any interest in Ehrhoff? His cap hit is 4 mil through 20/21:

http://www.capgeek.com/player/121

But his contract was heavily front loaded, so it starts tapering down quickly. His cap hit isn't much of a concern because we have an internal cap anyways. More concerned with his play. If he can be a true top 4 guy with Trouba for 3-4 years I'd say we should go after him. The cap hit is of no concern after that, and his salary drops to $1 million for the last 3 years of his contract.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
link

I think the odds are good we won't be seeing the Kaner next season

i interpret that quote completely differently.

"He just has to come to the rink"

essentially says to me the lessons over. whatever misstep Kane did pomo's inacted his punishment and that's that.

i find it interesting how people take very ambiguous quotes and jump to conclusions off their interpretation them.

I"m not saying "everythings fine". I'm just saying, if i can get the complete opposite impression from the same writing, it's probably too ambiguous to forecast anything off of.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I think Kane is all but gone. Healthy scratch and told to show to the rink for work and practice isn't a good thing. If the TNE management want Mo back to coach, I'm sure he is telling Chevy to trade the cancers and lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad