Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Another year we can easily have a goalie should Chevy actually try. I would try for Darling first then Mason as a backup plan. We clearly won't be in on Bishop or able to get Fleury. But with only a few teams needing a 1B type starter we have a good chance at getting one of the better goalies available. Lets hope Chevy does not cheap out and go get an actual full on cheap backup. If Helle is going to start don't waste money or time. What we need is someone who can be a stater or worst case split time and push eachother. And like everyone else I want a decent LHD pickup, Enstrom is declining and aging. We just can't count on him and Myers. You almost need to act as if we have 3 top 4 guys and not count Myers/Enstrom. But Chevy will likely add another guy like Strait as his big D pickup

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Another year we can easily have a goalie should Chevy actually try. I would try for Darling first then Mason as a backup plan. We clearly won't be in on Bishop or able to get Fleury. But with only a few teams needing a 1B type starter we have a good chance at getting one of the better goalies available. Lets hope Chevy does not cheap out and go get an actual full on cheap backup. If Helle is going to start don't waste money or time. What we need is someone who can be a stater or worst case split time and push eachother. And like everyone else I want a decent LHD pickup, Enstrom is declining and aging. We just can't count on him and Myers. You almost need to act as if we have 3 top 4 guys and not count Myers/Enstrom. But Chevy will likely add another guy like Strait as his big D pickup

This is an excellent analysis of the Jets defence. Very accurate and a smart analysis of why we can't be fooled into thinking the d is better than it is.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is an excellent analysis of the Jets defence. Very accurate and a smart analysis of why we can't be fooled into thinking the d is better than it is.

I think that is an important point. We know that on paper, we have a pretty good D. We also know that on the ice, we do not have a very good D. Injuries play a part in that but every team has injuries and more on D than at F. After Morrissey and Trouba it becomes pretty disappointing. Buff roams, Toby is increasingly ineffective, Myers is good some of the small time he is not injured and #6 is open.

I don't like the suggestion that all we need is an upgrade at #6. It would be better than nothing but if we are going to build a better team we need to improve the bottom by pushing someone down. Get a 2LHD and push Toby down to 3LHD.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't like the suggestion that all we need is an upgrade at #6. It would be better than nothing but if we are going to build a better team we need to improve the bottom by pushing someone down. Get a 2LHD and push Toby down to 3LHD.

Most of us agree with you. I just don't think I'd be satisfied to pay the price in a trade for a 2 LHD. There are plenty of 3 LHD available by UFA, making that a much more realistic target.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Most of us agree with you. I just don't think I'd be satisfied to pay the price in a trade for a 2 LHD. There are plenty of 3 LHD available by UFA, making that a much more realistic target.

I generally am not interested in the cream of the UFA crop. They tend to get both too much term and too much money. The next tier of UFA can hold good value I think, particularly since there is no acquisition cost.

I like Brendan Smith to play with Buff. He looks to me like the perfect partner. He is young enough to still be worth 4-5 years and good enough to be worth 3.5-4 mil. In UFA bidding I would go to the top of both of those, 4x5. If the bidding gets out of hand you have to quit. I think Alzner has a higher profile and will get a bigger contract. He is not as good a player. So, no thanks.

A good thing about slothful Chevy is that he is not likely to get auction fever and overbid too badly. If he can't be had for an acceptable price I would look elsewhere but Smith is worth a try.

Alternatively LV might get an excess of 2nd pair D that we can help them out with.

If all else fails then bolster our depth with an upgrade on the 3rd pair.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Columbus looks like team that may want to move a defenseman in order to protect more forwards in the XD.

Ryan Murray might be a player we could get at a reasonable price.

Injuries have lowered his value, but if healthy he can play. Any interest?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Columbus looks like team that may want to move a defenseman in order to protect more forwards in the XD.

Ryan Murray might be a player we could get at a reasonable price.

Injuries have lowered his value, but if healthy he can play. Any interest?

I would be interested.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Untitled.png

Murray's history is better than this season, but still.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Yes, but he would be XD exempt, no? I'm thinking they will be motivated to move a LH d man for something rather than lose him to Vegas.

We'd then have to go 4-4-1. And still ask Toby to waive. Or expose Myers. Ideally both.

Scheifele
Wheeler
Little
Lowry

Trouba
Buff
Murray
Myers

What was Murray's WAR last year. 2015/16.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Untitled.png

Murray's history is better than this season, but still.

I went by the Blue Jacket board and he has apparently played his offside all year with a rookie partner. That could have played a role with his bad year. Either way I'm only interested if he can be had for a discount.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Yes, but he would be XD exempt, no? I'm thinking they will be motivated to move a LH d man for something rather than lose him to Vegas.

We'd then have to go 4-4-1. And still ask Toby to waive. Or expose Myers. Ideally both.

Scheifele
Wheeler
Little
Lowry

Trouba
Buff
Murray
Myers

What was Murray's WAR last year. 2015/16.

Dammit! Didn't know he was exempt. That's too bad. Very much a sleeper I like.

1.07 in rookie season. 1.18 next year.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I agree Smith would be worth a try. And the Jackets or Wild may be 2 teams we can try to get a guy from. If we have to go directly to Vegas we can likely part with one of Dano or Petan, maybe a mid to late pick as well. Issue with that is they can also just draft Dano. And if we trade Dano instead of Petan then we likely lose someone like Armia or Lowry in XD

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario

Its one big thing I noticed this year. Yes we have a good top 4-5, but an aging and declining Enstrom is not reliable. He can be good still at times, but he is also struggling with injuries and age now. And we know we can not count on Myers to play any extended amount of time. Thats why you take Morrissey, Trouba and Buff and try and add a #4 with them. And you have Myers and Enstrom still. And you stick guys that were our 5/6 this season in a press box

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Its one big thing I noticed this year. Yes we have a good top 4-5, but an aging and declining Enstrom is not reliable. He can be good still at times, but he is also struggling with injuries and age now. And we know we can not count on Myers to play any extended amount of time. Thats why you take Morrissey, Trouba and Buff and try and add a #4 with them. And you have Myers and Enstrom still. And you stick guys that were our 5/6 this season in a press box

Agreed, the org needs to find a mid to long term replacement for Toby as I don't think at his age he's going to be a mainstay in the top 4 that much longer. I think the plan is to have Poolman slowly assume Myers role on the third pair and move Myers out when he's regained some trade value.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Orlov from the capitals might be a decent trade target if they decide they aren't protecting him in the expansion draft.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
After all the trash that's been spoken about the Oilers & Leafs on here... hope everyone's expecting a lot more from TNSE next year.

Bringing back Maurice is a huge first misstep to make going into the offseason.

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
After all the trash that's been spoken about the Oilers & Leafs on here... hope everyone's expecting a lot more from TNSE next year.

Bringing back Maurice is a huge first misstep to make going into the offseason.

Expect yes. Believe no. I think it's saferto assume we go stat quo , maybe add a back up goalie and that's it

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
This is team performance removing impact of: coaches, schedule: special teams, goalies, and penalty differential:

C9qn8V7V0AAEuEt.jpg

Oh and of course it doesn't account for the strength of rosters aside from these players... Guys getting hurt and what not will impact things weirdly too.

But definitely goes against the idea of the Jets lack top talent and supports the idea the Jets lack depth, goaltending, special teams, and penalty differential impact.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
This is team performance removing impact of: coaches, schedule: special teams, goalies, and penalty differential:

C9qn8V7V0AAEuEt.jpg

Graph's broken. I read HFJets and am to believe that the Hurricanes are a great team that circumstance kept out of the playoffs. Unlike the pathetic Jets.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad