Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Old thread was over the limit. Last few posts in that thread:

Because exposing him doesn't mean they will take him. As it appeared at the time Halak was put on waivers LV wouldn't likely have taken him.

Even if that trade were done today it isn't cut and dried that they would take him. They are going to have a lot of goalies available and might well prefer some other player from us. And like I said, if they did take him we have come through the XD very cheaply.

But that was just a hypothetical that almost certainly isn't available anymore. We could have picked up Halak for free on waivers at that time. Waive Hutch. No way he would have been claimed the way he had played to that point.

Expose both Hutch and Halak to the XD. If Halak had been lights out for us since being picked up and LV took him we would have done the XD for a waiver pickup. There just isn't a down side here.

All that said it is much simpler to wait until after the XD and sign a UFA goalie.

Yeah, sure.

MAF waived his NMC to come to Winnipeg instead of staying with the Pens for a Stanley Cup run.
:shakehead
I call "road apples" on this one.

Considering we heard he turned down a deal to Calgary fat chance he would have come to Winnipeg.

Does not have 'The Ring of Truth'. :laugh:

That guy is such a dinosaur

Rutherford and waters are best friends if he said that then its true. waters said trouba wanted trade last year before anybody cause his good buddy told him his agent was making the calls to all the gms. waters also said that Carolina was taking scheifele at draft which was later confirmed by there reaction at the table when jets took schefele. anything to do with Rutherford that bill waters says is gospel.

It's one thing to say that the Pens would trade MAF for a 2nd, it's another for Fluery to accept the trade...

Would we have taken MAF for a year, and risk Vegas taking him (I'd assume hte trade would waive the NMC)

Interesting

Carry on.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Lawless said (I think it was Lawless) this offer was in December. Helle and Hutch were only starting to stink the joint out then.
Also, if MAF waives to come here, his clause is gone isn't it? We could expose him in the draft couldn't we?

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lawless said (I think it was Lawless) this offer was in December. Helle and Hutch were only starting to stink the joint out then.
Also, if MAF waives to come here, his clause is gone isn't it? We could expose him in the draft couldn't we?

Why do we even imagine that MAF would waive to come to Winnipeg? I think this is just fantasy from the fevered imaginations of talking heads.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Yeah, sure. Watters says that it was "notwithstanding the no-trade clause", and that Chevy would have had to convince MAF to waive. It's just a nonsensical scenario, when you listen to him describe it.

He also said that when they finally put Pavelec in goal they had "left him on the sidelines for too long", so yeah, I'm not sure Watters is going to my "go to guy" for information about the Jets. It's horse manure.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
On a more positive note, check out the Jets left side:
C82YmZfUwAA11vC.jpg

BR means below replacement level.
Some of the numbers have been expanded into last year for the guys under 500 mins, and also I'll explain this a lot more in detail in a post next week on JN.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
On a more positive note, check out the Jets left side:
C82YmZfUwAA11vC.jpg

BR means below replacement level.
Some of the numbers have been expanded into last year for the guys under 500 mins, and also I'll explain this a lot more in detail in a post next week on JN.

Not much to choose between Enstrom and Strait (insert sarcasm emoji).

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yeah, sure. Watters says that it was "notwithstanding the no-trade clause", and that Chevy would have had to convince MAF to waive. It's just a nonsensical scenario, when you listen to him describe it.

He also said that when they finally put Pavelec in goal they had "left him on the sidelines for too long", so yeah, I'm not sure Watters is going to my "go to guy" for information about the Jets. It's horse manure.

I'm getting a feeling that you're not a big fan of Watters, Whileee?:laugh:

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
If we have all these top ranked forwards and half our d are 1st pairing guys on the advanced stats, how are we playing meaningless hockey for the past month..?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If we have all these top ranked forwards and half our d are 1st pairing guys on the advanced stats, how are we playing meaningless hockey for the past month..?

Special teams, misdeployment of the roster, goaltending. Those 3 need to be fixed. So fire all the coaches, bring a vet goalie and this should be a playoff team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Not how I remember it. They started very badly and were improving - slowly by Dec. didn't check the numbers, just memory.

No, the NMC would be waived for a specific move and then reinstated.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Lawless was on 1290 today saying that the Jets biggest mistake was not starting Pav in net. :shakehead

In line with the conspiracy theory that TNSE uses the local media to prepare the public for what is coming ...... get ready for a Pavelec re-signing incoming. Not even sure if I am joking. OK, yes I'm joking. I think. Maybe. Or am I? :shakehead

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Good players don't contribute when they are injured and are less effective when recovering from injuries. As an example, Perreault took quite some time to regain top form, and Maurice recently admitted he took a long time to fully recover from a broken hand. Now that he's at full tilt, he's having a much bigger impact. Same scenario with Little, Enstrom, etc.

It's not the only factor, because goaltending, defense and special teams also languished, though special teams can also struggle without the best players.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

That left side is not very good at all, and Jets bottom six has some legitimate deployment issues.

Bottom 3 in even strength and penalty kill save percentage doesn't help.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I would hate to do it but the Jets should look at a deal with Ehlers/Connor and/or our 1st for a top Dman. Connor's value may be at it's lowest right now, but he is expendable. I love both of them but we have offensive assets and terrible defence.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I would hate to do it but the Jets should look at a deal with Ehlers/Connor and/or our 1st for a top Dman. Connor's value may be at it's lowest right now, but he is expendable. I love both of them but we have offensive assets and terrible defence.

No. Keep them all. We need good player depth. It's time now to trade your 1st rounder plus a good prospect like Dano, petan, roslovic for a dman. That would get it done.
Btw, do you not like this to start season?
Jmo trouba
Enstrom buff
Poolman Myers

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015

how about no, scott.

just no

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No. Keep them all. We need good player depth. It's time now to trade your 1st rounder plus a good prospect like Dano, petan, roslovic for a dman. That would get it done.
Jmo trouba
Enstrom buff
Poolman Myers

That isn't that bad actually. There are a lot of IFS there though, without even getting into Trouba's long term wishes.

We need a bounce back from Enstrom. I'm cautiously optimistic. We need Poolman to live up to expectations and handle the left side adequately. Again, cautious optimism. Maybe a little less optimism. That may be asking a bit much from an old rookie. We need Myers to bounce back. Lots of hope there. I really don't know anything to base optimism or pessimism on.

I'd feel more secure if we signed a 2LHD in UFA or if we traded for one. But, OTOH if we went into next season with that starting lineup we would be OK until the first injury.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Jmo trouba
Enstrom buff
Poolman Myers

Yeah that's not too bad. I'd still rather add a solid Dman though.

how about no, scott.

just no

Let me guess then, Petan, Armia, Dano + 2nd for an elite Dman.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah that's not too bad. I'd still rather add a solid Dman though.

Let me guess then, Petan, Armia, Dano + 2nd for an elite Dman.

:laugh: I think we have an elite D man, a near elite in the making plus Buff. Another true elite D would be nice but isn't really necessary. How about Myers (assuming he gets fit) + Petan for a 2LHD? Poolman can play his natural side. Toby should still be a decent 3LHD for a few years. If not then a 3rd pair D just shouldn't be that difficult to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->