Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Most likely the Jets are only going to move vets.
The exception is moving players in areas of depth strength for depth weakness.

This is likely guys like Lowry, Dano, Petan, Armia, et al. being available for packages for a young and capable left shot defender.

So, unlikely moved but not untouchable.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

This is likely guys like Lowry, Dano, Petan, Armia, et al. being available for packages for a young and capable left shot defender.

I hope you're right.

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013

Would Beaulieu be something interesting at all?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
What are the thoughts on Ben Hutton. Seems to be available and expansion exempt LHD

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Would Beaulieu be something interesting at all?

Not so much before the expansion draft, because the Jets already have 4 D to be protected (Buff, Enstrom, Trouba, Myers). Maybe after the expansion draft, depending on the cost.

But first Beaulieu needs to go through Garret's "value machine" (TM).

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
Not so much before the expansion draft, because the Jets already have 4 D to be protected (Buff, Enstrom, Trouba, Myers). Maybe after the expansion draft, depending on the cost.

You think the Jets are going 4/4/2?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Beaulieau.png

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I have no idea what that means lol. And up front I'm assuming protecting Scheifele, Wheeler, Little and either Perrault/Lowry?

WAR is Wins Above Replacement, taken from baseball. It's an estimate of a player's overall contributions when you combine all their statistics together.

DTM's WAR is combination of two statistics: XPM and BPM.
XPM looks at a player's impact on team shot quantity and shot quality both offensively and defensively. XPM adjusts every event in play-by-play by considering the nine players on the ice, and other usage stuff such as schedule, both coaches, zone starts, score, etc.
BPM looks at a player's boxscore stats: scoring, giveaways, takeaways, blocks, etc. BPM is adjusted by linemates only.

The graph shows Beaulieu's WAR last season and the season prior. The lines are the minimal thresholds for a bonafide player of that depth. So the top 30 WAR defenders tend to be above the first line. The next 30 tend to be between the first and second line. Etc.

WAR catches more than just simply trying to combine a player's Corsi and scoring. Take for example Shea Weber:
C5ImdfgUoAAUsV2.jpg

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
WAR is Wins Above Replacement, taken from baseball. It's an estimate of a player's overall contributions when you combine all their statistics together.

DTM's WAR is combination of two statistics: XPM and BPM.
XPM looks at a player's impact on team shot quantity and shot quality both offensively and defensively. XPM adjusts every event in play-by-play by considering the nine players on the ice, and other usage stuff such as schedule, both coaches, zone starts, score, etc.
BPM looks at a player's boxscore stats: scoring, giveaways, takeaways, blocks, etc. BPM is adjusted by linemates only.

The graph shows Beaulieu's WAR last season and the season prior. The lines are the minimal thresholds for a bonafide player of that depth. So the top 30 WAR defenders tend to be above the first line. The next 30 tend to be between the first and second line. Etc.

WAR catches more than just simply trying to combine a player's Corsi and scoring. Take for example Shea Weber:
C5ImdfgUoAAUsV2.jpg

Very cool! Thank you :)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks for the link. I checked it out but theres not really a good explanation of the stat. Just a whole bunch of graphs. Also Barberio has a higher rank than Beaulieu??

Nevermind, helpful post above :)

Sorry, best I had.

You got the real thing from the man who knows. :)

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
IMO, it's still looking like 7/3/1....almost guaranteed.
Protecting 4 D-men is wishful thinking at this point. Time will tell. :popcorn:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
IMO, it's still looking like 7/3/1....almost guaranteed.
Protecting 4 D-men is wishful thinking at this point. Time will tell. :popcorn:

What do you mean 'wishful thinking'" Who's wishing for what?

I would say exactly the opposite of what you posted.
IMO, it's still looking like 4/4/1....almost guaranteed.
Protecting 7 forwards is wishful thinking at this point. Time will tell.
That is people wishing to protect 7 F's are engaging in 'wishful thinking'.

No one is 'wishing' for 4+4+1. No one. Many feel we are stuck with it until something is done to change the situation. It has been debated here at great length so I'm sure you are familiar with the arguments.

Assuming Myers is healthy he is worth more than the player we will lose instead if he is left unprotected. That's the whole thing. You can disagree with that assessment but I don't see how you can reasonably guarantee that Chevy will agree with you. Its still a long way away and very up in the air.

Last edited:

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Assuming Myers is healthy he is worth more than the player we will lose instead if he is left unprotected. That's the whole thing. You can disagree with that assessment but I don't see how you can reasonably guarantee that Chevy will agree with you. Its still a long way away and very up in the air.

Agree .... Especially with the prospect of only having 1 more year of Trouba before we must make a move he becomes even more important.....IF HEALTHY

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't disagree that he would be perceived as worth more....But honestly I think dano is ACTUALLY the most valuable save Perrault. Looking at garrets other charts of WAR and GS
Even when accounting for position. Dano performs a whole 2 steps above Meyers.

The D discrepancy isn't worth that for me.

Mind you, Meyers was having a great season up until his injury, but I'm more inclined to believe those twenty games and his rookie year were the mirage not the likely

Dirty30

Feb 12, 2012
I wish there was more speculation in the media with regards to the Jets making moves. Even if nothing were to happen (most likely) it would kind of make the lead up to the trade deadline a bit more exciting.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't disagree that he would be perceived as worth more....But honestly I think dano is ACTUALLY the most valuable save Perrault. Looking at garrets other charts of WAR and GS

Mind you, Meyers was having a great season up until his injury, but I'm more inclined to believe those twenty games and his rookie year were the mirage not the likely

That's all part of the problem with him basically missing the entire season. Too much uncertainty. And Dano's sample size is small and fragmented so - more uncertainty.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim

Were WAR charts done for the current Jet roster? I'd be interested in seeing how the potential players available for Vegas stack up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad