Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
This is the same guy the coyotes said was blowing smoke earlier today with all the Doan trade rumours. Now he has the details. Doesn't sound very likely to me

@SportsHubAZ: Anyways here you go: #ShaneDoan, Antoine Vermette and 2nd round pick to @NHLJets for Evander Kane, Jay Harrison and 4th round pick #Coyotes

Kane for a rental, a 37 y/o with one season left on his deal, and a 2nd. Sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

I also really doubt we'll see Harrison moved. Maurice brought him here because of his relationship with the guy. Yes, I understand that may sound a bit ridiculous but I can't see them moving him as a throw in after the guy has moved away from his family. Not to mention the fact that with Clitsome having surgery I cannot imagine another team around the league needed Harrison worse than the Jets.

Edit: According to the Coyotes' official twitter account that guy's source is the Easter Bunny. In any case, the guy was denied a press pass by the Coyotes organization for this season and has been tweeting malicious rumors about them ever since.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This is the same guy the coyotes said was blowing smoke earlier today with all the Doan trade rumours. Now he has the details. Doesn't sound very likely to me

@SportsHubAZ: Anyways here you go: #ShaneDoan, Antoine Vermette and 2nd round pick to @NHLJets for Evander Kane, Jay Harrison and 4th round pick #Coyotes

Can tell it's BS Because its a trade that mentions Doan. Doan is never leaving Phoenix. Even if the Coyotes moved, Doan will just retire.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Morrissey is not big but he is nowhere near as small as Toby. He is 6', 190-195 lbs. Toby is listed at 5'10", 180 and looks and plays smaller.

Even if he were a clone of Toby that doesn't prevent having them both at once. They will never be on the ice at the same time. He may or may not be on the Jets next year but he won't be a top pair the from the day he arrives. That will take a few years.

If you are right then we will just have to trade Morrissey because Toby has a full NMC. He isn't going anywhere.
All a NMC really does is it gives the player full control on where he wants to go and Chevy doesn't mind handing them out like candy because most players would accept a trade out of the peg to more desirable markets I don't understand how people don't get that?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
All a NMC really does is it gives the player full control on where he wants to go and Chevy doesn't mind handing them out like candy because most players would accept a trade out of the peg to more desirable markets I don't understand how people don't get that?

But there's no guarantee the player will go to the team you work out the trade with. Players get trade with MTC all the time but they also veto them.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

This doesn't make any sense. NMCs are favourable to the player. They are unfavourable to the organization because they make players less freely exchangeable or interchangeable assets. Having a NMC/modified NTC says absolutely nothing one way or the other about how happy a player is with their organization. It's a contract bargaining chip, plain and simple.

If players didn't want to be in Winnipeg, they would negotiate short deals (a la O'Reilly) or hold out. Why don't more people get that? :)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Kessel is a floater, always has been, always will be, there is a reason the Bruins shipped him out. You don't get soft 27 year old offensive players to suddenly toughen up and learn defense, it just doesn't happen. Also, comparing Centres and wingers as far as defensive responsibility goes doesn't make too much sense.

JetsTO

Jun 11, 2014
Short deals carry a lot of risk for the player... suffer an injury that ends or limits your career and you've just cost yourself $10 million plus unless you can get some sort of insurance. In most cases you'd have to really hate the city to not take as many guaranteed years as you can get a good AAV for.

What else is he going to say?

ythelastman82

Apr 5, 2014
Elliotte Friedman said this morning that the Kings are shopping around Mike Richards and called the Jets.

Richards for Pavelec + Thorburn?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How many more years does Richards have left on his current deal? He's really not close to the player he used to be. Anyone have his possession numbers this year?

ythelastman82

Apr 5, 2014
According to the cached Cap Geek page for Mike Richards he has 5.5 years left with the following salary owing:

2014-2015: 7 million
2015-2016: 6
2016-2017: 5.5
2017-2018: 4.5
2018-2019: 3
2019-2020: 3

His cap hit is 5.75 AAV.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As long as you understand that he's a forty point player now thats very solid defensively.

Well he's on pace for 28 this year which is a far cry from 40.

His ppg totals over the last 5 years depict a downward trend.

I'm not sure hes someone we should be gambling on if he still has a lot of term on his deal.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
This doesn't make any sense. NMCs are favourable to the player. They are unfavourable to the organization because they make players less freely exchangeable or interchangeable assets. Having a NMC/modified NTC says absolutely nothing one way or the other about how happy a player is with their organization. It's a contract bargaining chip, plain and simple.

If players didn't want to be in Winnipeg, they would negotiate short deals (a la O'Reilly) or hold out. Why don't more people get that? :)

I think the argument is that Winnipeg is such an undesirable place to play that a NTC isn't worth anything here because the player would accept a trade to litterally anywhere else.

But yeah, if a player had zero interest in playing here they could just agree to sign to UFA years then bolt.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
According to the cached Cap Geek page for Mike Richards he has 5.5 years left with the following salary owing:

His cap hit is 5.75 AAV.

Yuck! Not interested then unless LA retains a lot of it.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
How many more years does Richards have left on his current deal? He's really not close to the player he used to be. Anyone have his possession numbers this year?

5 years left after this one:

Cap hit = 5.75
Salaries = 6, 5.5, 4.5, 3, 3

Not great for the first two years or so, but the last few years don't seem terrible. He'll only be 32 in that 3rd year. Having some of it retained would make it much more palatable though.

I wouldn't mind Richards on the roster. He's not the guy he was in Philly, but would definitely help our bottom 6.

My questions would be what it would take to get him (I wouldn't spend a tonne), what other salaries could the Jets move out (Slater), potential impact to next year (roles for Burmi or Petan affected, impact with the salary addition to re-signing Frolik, Ladd, and Buff)?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Elliotte Friedman said this morning that the Kings are shopping around Mike Richards and called the Jets.

I think with his performance going forward the contract will be an albatross. I'd be interested if they retained salary and they took Pavelec off our hands.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd take Richards for Postma and Thorbs. Kings shed some salary and get a bit of depth on D, along with some more size / skating up front. I doubt that Kings are looking at that, though. They are probably more interested in someone like Frolik.

I wouldn't trade any decent draft picks or prospects, though. I don't think this team is close enough to start that sort of thing.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Toby has even been quoted saying that Winnipeg felt like home.

Can you imagine Chevy asking Toby to waive his NTC to go to a team like the Oilers if the Jets are on the verge of a playoff berth?

I don't think so. The guy has never been to the playoffs

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

I think it was just speculation. He never said they actually called the Jets.

Edit: here's the Friedman quote

“... I have no idea if there’s really that much interest in these particular situations, but I’m sure they’re calling and asking teams like Toronto and Winnipeg, where they think that maybe Richards would be willing to go, to test it. But I don’t think it’s going to be a very easy situation for them.â€

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Agreed. It would depend on what they wanted. Id want to ship as much salary back to them to make it more palatable, like...say...Pavelec.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

His cap hit is 5.75 AAV.

That contract is not that bad. 3.5 remaining this year, the 6 next year is a little high but from there on it is reasonable. He is just approaching 30. He will turn 35 in the last year of this contract making 3 mil.

Well he's on pace for 28 this year which is a far cry from 40.

His ppg totals over the last 5 years depict a downward trend.

I'm not sure hes someone we should be gambling on if he still has a lot of term on his deal.

That is a very misleading way to look at it. That 5th year was his last in Philly and was typical of his play there. His scoring rate tumbled as soon as he arrived in LA and has actually been pretty consistent since. So far he is having an off year this year. That is only 1 year and it is at least part of why he might be available. I don't think it would be too big a gamble to bet on him rebounding to the 40-50 pt level.

Once Kane is back we don't really need a LW. If he plays C he pushes Lowry down to the 4th line. That has mixed benefits. What we really need is a 3RW. If he can play his off side I would be in favour if the price was right.

Last edited:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
That is a very misleading way to look at it. That 5th year was his last in Philly and was typical of his play there. His scoring rate tumbled as soon as he arrived in LA and has actually been pretty consistent since. So far he is having an off year this year. That is 1 and it is at least part of why he might be available.

Once Kane is back we don't really need a LW. If he plays C he pushes Lowry down to the 4th line. That has mixed benefits. What we really need is a 3RW.

Probably worth it if we can get him in a decent trade -- esp if we can get rid of some garbage in the process. But, do we want to pay a third liner those kind of $.

As for needing a 3RW, won't Petan/Ehlers fill that role next year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That is a very misleading way to look at it. That 5th year was his last in Philly and was typical of his play there. His scoring rate tumbled as soon as he arrived in LA and has actually been pretty consistent since. So far he is having an off year this year. That is 1 and it is at least part of why he might be available.

Once Kane is back we don't really need a LW. If he plays C he pushes Lowry down to the 4th line. That has mixed benefits. What we really need is a 3RW.

I agree its a bit missleading, but he's approaching 30 and his point totals have at best flatelined to around 40 points. He's also signed to a very long term contract. I think its fair to ask whether or not his production will decrease over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad