Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Morrissey will come a lot cheaper than a bona fide top-4 LHD. ;)

That's a big maybe there Whileee, not to mention let's assume (big assumption) that Josh is top 4 material it could be 2-4 years before he's ready for that role. Not every guy is a freak like Trouba.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think there is an important aspect of this debate that never seems to get enough attention. Given that we are a D&D team (and that in this cap era so is every other team) and given that the best draft strategy is to take the best player available some player for player trading is a must. At the extreme you might end up with an entire team of LWs. Of course that would never happen but you will not be drafting where your needs are. You will have holes in some areas and excess in others and trades are the way to balance that out. Our current RHD is a perfect example. It just doesn't work with Buff at RHD. We would be better served by trading one of our top RHD for an equal LHD.

Agreed. We are going to have this issue in the next 1-2 years with Pétan and Ehlers ASSUMING they are NHL caliber. But that's normal, trades will be required as time goes by.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
According to Garrioch the asking price for Sekera at this point in time is a 1st round pick and a top prosect.

That is very steep for a rental player.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
According to Garrioch the asking price for Sekera at this point in time is a 1st round pick and a top prosect.

Hard to believe that is what they'll get for Sekera.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I doubt they get it as well, but I think its a good indication for what the market is like for defenseman at this point.

We should quickly trade Clitsome for a 1st :P

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Johnny Boychuk was traded for a 2nd and 3rd in 2015 and a 2nd in 2016 before the season started and is a UFA at the end of this year.

Sekera and Boychuk have pretty similar values IMO, I don't see any team giving up more than that for a deadline rental but I could be wrong.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

I agree. You may see a team like Philly, Dallas or Colorado getting desperate and paying that in the next month, but I imagine that he'll probably get dealt at the deadline.

It's interesting that Sekera doesn't have any trade clauses, which means that Carolina can start a true bidding war for his services come deadline day. The highest bidders will probably be teams like Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay or Anaheim, teams in contend mode with a decent prospect pool.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
I mean, crazier things have happened. But I realllllly doubt anyone outside of the playoff line or on it for that matter, will be trading a 2015 1st for a rental.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

Makes sense as an asking price this far from the deadline though. Things change a lot as the market becomes more clear. This time of year it only makes sense for them to trade him if they're 100% certain they're getting as much as they could at the deadline.

In terms of the asking price, it looks bad from the Jets perspective because of where our 1st may end up. But for a team that is fairly certain of making the playoffs sending a 1st they expect to be 24-30 and a decent prospect (someone on the level of Petan maybe) isn't so crazy. Teams will wait to get a better idea of where their 1st may land and hopefully see the asking price go down a bit, but could see a team offer a 1st to Carolina at the deadline if they really need a guy like Sekera.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Makes sense as an asking price this far from the deadline though. Things change a lot as the market becomes more clear. This time of year it only makes sense for them to trade him if they're 100% certain they're getting as much as they could at the deadline.

In terms of the asking price, it looks bad from the Jets perspective because of where our 1st may end up. But for a team that is fairly certain of making the playoffs sending a 1st they expect to be 24-30 and a decent prospect (someone on the level of Petan maybe) isn't so crazy. Teams will wait to get a better idea of where their 1st may land and hopefully see the asking price go down a bit, but could see a team offer a 1st to Carolina at the deadline if they really need a guy like Sekera.

A late 1st rounder and a guy like Petan for Sekera as a rental??!! Are you serious? I can't see any GM paying that price. Maybe a late 1st rounder but that's it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

If that's what they are asking for Sekera, it seems pretty clear why we got Harrison for a 6th instead.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Always start high on your asking price. If someone is genuinely wanting the guy you can work down from there. We probably couldn't get a guy like Sekera because they wanted to start a bidding war on him and we didn't have time to do that without offering a can't say no to offer, we needed a guy pronto.

Harrison with retention for a 6th is actually pretty good considering the timeframe we had to find someone. You know, without paying through the nose in a panic trade.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If Lawless is right, and Chevy needed to check with Chipman to go slightly over their internal cap, to acquire Harrison, I don't see them making any more substantial moves this year.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
If Lawless is right, and Chevy needed to check with Chipman to go slightly over their internal cap, to acquire Harrison, I don't see them making any more substantial moves this year.

I'm never sure how right Lawless is because it's true that the Jets have an internal cap which he knows about but I think he may just be pulling that out of his butt because how would he know what that internal cap is or if they have already reached it, I think he's just hypothesizing but making it seem as fact like he always does

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
A late 1st rounder and a guy like Petan for Sekera as a rental??!! Are you serious? I can't see any GM paying that price. Maybe a late 1st rounder but that's it.

Enh, rental defencemen have gone for more in the past and Sekera is a pretty good one.

I didn't say I expect it, or that it would be a good trade, but it isn't a crazy idea to me.

If there's a market for Sekera at the deadline it wouldn't surprise me to see an offer like 1st and Noesen from Anaheim, especially if they feel they have a chance of re-signing him.

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ

The Isles wanted a first for Vanek last year too, that turned out well...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Key words right at the start. Lawless is the one who told us the internal budget was $65 mil. They are well below that unless that was with no provision for injuries.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
I'm never sure how right Lawless is because it's true that the Jets have an internal cap which he knows about but I think he may just be pulling that out of his butt because how would he know what that internal cap is or if they have already reached it, I think he's just hypothesizing but making it seem as fact like he always does

I heard Lawless say that during last nights Jets game and he was speculating. He said "it wouldn't surprise me..." in the context of Chevy having to go to ownership to get approval for the extra $1mill for Harrison. It wasn't Lawless reporting it as fact.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I heard Lawless say that during last nights Jets game and he was speculating. He said "it wouldn't surprise me..." in the context of Chevy having to go to ownership to get approval for the extra $1mill for Harrison. It wasn't Lawless reporting it as fact.

It's only $600k for the rest of this season. That segment was total BS. It may mean they have to waive someone on a 1way and send him to St Johns later. It's not without cost but hard to see how it blows the budget.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It's only $600k for the rest of this season. That segment was total BS. It may mean they have to waive someone on a 1way and send him to St Johns later. It's not without cost but hard to see how it blows the budget.

And it's not even that much because the Jets would have had to call-up an AHL player to fill that roster spot on a NHL salary anyway. It's about $300,000 extra assuming the Jets send down someone on a 2 way once everyone is healthy.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I wouldn't mind Lawless speculating like that but he does it without thinking it through so what comes out is nonsensical. Its like he just says (or writes) this stuff as fast as it pops into his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad