Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Well isn't that really strange! Weird for his points to be low yet everyone else get better- sounds like he could really do a useful job if he returned. Why doesn't he want to be here?

Wanted big $ (I believe 4-4.5 was his starting point) to compensate for having to buyout of the second year of his 2yr KHL contract.

The point production thing is actually slightly incorrect, sorry.

What I should have said to be accurate was:
* All players tended to have better shot metrics with him on ice than off.
* Jets top players (Kane, Wellwood, Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Antropov, etc.) scored more are at par with him... Burmi also had pretty decent point production with these players (avg 2.0 per 60 mins of 5v5 time)
* Jets non-scoring forwards (Thorburn, Cormier, Tangradi, Slater, etc.) had no boost and basically no production with him as he did with them

My thoughts behind this are thinking that Burmistrov is not good at directly creating scoring chances but he does the things that improve the Jets time with the puck, allowing the team to score more in the long run. This is why he has good point production with scoring forwards, and non-existent scoring production with non-scoring forwards. The controversial position on Burmistrov (IMO) extends from fans (and even some managements) having difficulty evaluating non-direct contributions over the long run.

You should be semi-aware of this type of player if you are into soccer (just a guess since you are English). Everyone knows midfielders are imperative for possession although they tend to not score much, if at all.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Wanted big $ (I believe 4-4.5 was his starting point) to compensate for having to buyout of the second year of his 2yr KHL contract.

* Jets top players (Kane, Wellwood, Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Antropov, etc.) scored more are at par with him... Burmi also had pretty decent point production with these players (avg 2.0 per 60 mins of 5v5 time)
* Jets non-scoring forwards (Thorburn, Cormier, Tangradi, Slater, etc.) had no boost and basically no production with him as he did with them

My thoughts behind this are thinking that Burmistrov is not good at directly creating scoring chances but he does the things that improve the Jets time with the puck, allowing the team to score more in the long run. This is why he has good point production with scoring forwards, and non-existent scoring production with non-scoring forwards.

You should be semi-aware of this type of player if you are into soccer (just a guess since you are English). Everyone knows midfielders are imperative for possession although they tend to not score much, if at all.

unless your david beckham.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Not directed at you Garret, just asking out loud, any chance that his demands might be lower next off-season without the buyout portion? How much would the buyout have costed?

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia

My thoughts behind this are thinking that Burmistrov is not good at directly creating scoring chances but he does the things that improve the Jets time with the puck, allowing the team to score more in the long run. This is why he has good point production with scoring forwards, and non-existent scoring production with non-scoring forwards. The controversial position on Burmistrov (IMO) extends from fans (and even some managements) having difficulty evaluating non-direct contributions over the long run.

That soccer reference made complete sense to me, so thank you. I find especially with hockey it can be easy to get lost in goals, assists, +/-, etc and you end up losing focus on someones overall play. Sounds like he falls into this category. Possession is so important and yet often ignored- this makes players like Burmistrov (from what you've told me obviously) important but underrated, as his traditional stats aren't great.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
1) Possible, but I have absolutely no idea on if or if not probable.

2) I believe PS241 knew the answer to that question but not sure.

Cool. Just wondering if the two sides could get closer to an agreement without the buyout portion. Or maybe he's be more attractive to another team.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
That soccer reference made complete sense to me, so thank you. I find especially with hockey it can be easy to get lost in goals, assists, +/-, etc and you end up losing focus on someones overall play. Sounds like he falls into this category. Possession is so important and yet often ignored- this makes players like Burmistrov (from what you've told me obviously) important but underrated, as his traditional stats aren't great.

Underrated and unappreciated (by some) yes... but there are players on the Jets (and other teams) who do well in possession and scoring who are 100% superior players (like Ladd or Little).

Cool. Just wondering if the two sides could get closer to an agreement without the buyout portion. Or maybe he's be more attractive to another team.

I've wondered the same thing.

jetkarma*

A couple of observations about Kane from Friedman, for what it's worth (http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/07/30-thoughts-nhl-defenceman-cash-in-on-free-agent-frenzy.html):

I tend to agree with the idea of not trading Kane now, but starting the season with him. He might flourish and get off to a strong start. In that case, he might either decide he likes his current situation, or drive up his value. Either way, I expect that his value is unlikely to go down much as the season gets rolling, and some other teams are going to have a disappointing start and want to shake things up.

We do know that the Kessler situation was disruptive and not conducive for team morale and atmosphere. We have no indication that is the same here with Kane . It isn't like he is Mark Scheifele all smiles and 100% pumped to be here and just play hockey , but I doubt it is anywhere near the same situation .

I see little risk in having him play for an indefinite time , the push line is very far off for me , Kane has more than enough internal motivation to score , produce and be a difference maker on the ice. Which all comes down to the same same old for me , if he is going to be traded it should only be when the Jets get the offer that works for them . Not compromising , not settling. He's mentioned he is working hard on being in shape , something he couldn't do last off season for injury reasons , I fully expect big time production from him . Pairing with players like Scheifele , Wheeler , Buff or even Perreault will be a noticeable step up for him .

If I'm Chevy I feel confident in letting this unfold , and would be confident Kane's play and production on the ice will make other teams step up with legitimate offers.

Think about this , how would a dynamic season from 9 impact the Jets ? yes the big concern is still in net , but if that is a notch or two higher than last year ( which is possible ) it could very likely be a catalyst for the post season .

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

Wasn't his KHL contract torn up and they did a new one? Just for this season. I seem to recall that, but may be wrong.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
We do know that the Kessler situation was disruptive and not conducive for team morale and atmosphere. We have no indication that is the same here with Kane . It isn't like he is Mark Scheifele all smiles and 100% pumped to be here and just play hockey , but I doubt it is anywhere near the same situation .

I see little risk in having him play for an indefinite time , the push line is very far off for me , Kane has more than enough internal motivation to score , produce and be a difference maker on the ice. Which all comes down to the same same old for me , if he is going to be traded it should only be when the Jets get the offer that works for them . Not compromising , not settling. He's mentioned he is working hard on being in shape , something he couldn't do last off season for injury reasons , I fully expect big time production from him . Pairing with players like Scheifele , Wheeler , Buff or even Perreault will be a noticeable step up for him .

If I'm Chevy I feel confident in letting this unfold , and would be confident Kane's play and production on the ice will make other teams step up with legitimate offers.

Think about this , how would a dynamic season from 9 impact the Jets ? yes the big concern is still in net , but if that is a notch or two higher than last year ( which is possible ) it could very likely be a catalyst for the post season .
I really don't think the Jets can afford to take the chance letting Kane play here anymore,If things don't go his way,the team struggles,coach attempts to put him in his place all these things will only decrease his value,another injury plagued year there are just so many variables that could contribute to us losing bargaining power.Yes if he and the team have a great year it would improve his trade value but I think it is more likely to go the other way!

jetkarma*

Just look at Vancouver..........4 years ago they were at the top of the NHL Hill with Stanley Cup finals and a huge waiting lists for tickets.. After last year Cluster**** of a season (thank you GM MG) last week they opened up season tickets for next year to the general public.

The push is hard for ticket sales. They are all over the radio and constant , and discounted . They are promoting 11 game packs at at a 40% discount.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011

I really don't think the Jets can afford to take the chance letting Kane play here anymore,If things don't go his way,the team struggles,coach attempts to put him in his place all these things will only decrease his value,another injury plagued year there are just so many variables that could contribute to us losing bargaining power.Yes if he and the team have a great year it would improve his trade value but I think it is more likely to go the other way!Plus he said he basically doesn't want to be hear,knowing Winnipeg fans there will be a lot out there that will have taken his comments personally and will certainly voice their displeasure for him,it really just has the makings of a disaster written all over it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad