Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
This guy is almost as bad as Eklund in his predictions. I seriously doubt they'd be going after Heatley - can you imagine how uncomfortable it would be when they give out the Dan Snyder award? Just can't see it. He also does NOT fit the mould of 'fast', by any stretch of the imagination.

No way.

Isn't heatley pretty close with the Snyder family?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
This guy is almost as bad as Eklund in his predictions. I seriously doubt they'd be going after Heatley - can you imagine how uncomfortable it would be when they give out the Dan Snyder award? Just can't see it. He also does NOT fit the mould of 'fast', by any stretch of the imagination.

No way.

The award was first given out for the 2003-2004 season. Healey was still a member of the Thrashers.

It's my understanding that they lobbied on his behalf to avoid jail time.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Yes, they explicitly spoke out for him during his trial requesting that he not be punished, if I recall correctly. Doesn't mean it would make it any more comfortable for him to be in Winnipeg, with the ghost of his past here.

Besides that, he's a shell of the player he used to be. No speed, diminished scoring, and middling possession stats. I just don't see the Jets being at all interested.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
You know what the problem with too much size is? Guys that are much shorter then you can simply just get lower and use leverage against you. Smaller guys tend to do that. Why do you think Wheeler goes down so easily? Because guys can simply get lower then him and take him off the puck.

I swear, the size argument is probably the most ignorant argument I've ever seen... :banghead:

Wheeler is 6'5 205. He doesn't carry enough weight, especially in his lower body to be effective in a more physical role. It's not a height thing, it's a size and thickness thing.

Crosby is listed at 5'11 200 lbs. Little is 5'11 185 lbs. Crosby is much more solid and can use that leverage you mention. Smaller and lighter guys just get pushed off the puck.

I'm looking for a 6'3+ 220 lb guy with skill. A Ryan Johanson type of guy. Will Scheifele get to 210+ lbs, I'm hopeful but not counting on it.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
No problem :thumbu:

But like I said, we are allowed to negotiate with Ryan. He obviously doesn't want to stay in CBJ, at least at whatever they're offering him. If we could work out a deal with him and then traded for his rights that would leave us free and clear.

The disagreement between CBJ and Johansen is over contract length. Specifically, Johansen wants his second contract to be a long term deal, like what the Jets did with Kane. CBJ is offering a bridge deal. So I guess what I'm getting at is, Johansen wants to stay in CBJ, he just wants to have the long term deal done now.

I think Johansen would be willing to sign an offer sheet, but any team signing him to that offer is probably just being used as a pawn to get him the long term deal he wants in Columbus.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Beyak nailed it on 1290. Why play in Winnipeg when you can play in Tampa. It's a tough pill to swallow but no a lot of FA will want to play here. Contender or warm weather.
Perreault specifically mentioned wanting to come to a Canadian city that cares about hockey. That is not a factor for all but it is for some.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Vrbata on a short term deal might be nice, he's getting up there in age but still produces.

But any top 6 forward ideally or worse case top 9 forward needs to be added still. Don't want to see Thor or Tang in top 9 ever.

We never did anything to improve our LHD, wondering if Chevy is thinking about leaving it as is waiting to see if Morrisey makes the team this year. If he doesn't our LHD is still weak with Mark on our second pairing, he should be 3 pairing. Let's hope Morrisey makes the team.

Even with signing another top 9 forward and Morrisey making the team it's going to be a rough year in the Central and I highly doubt we make the playoffs.

As it is now our 2LHD is not mark it is Clitsome.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't see the Jets moving a 1st rd pick anytime soon. There are still far too many holes in our prospect pool and on our roster to not grab a quality prospect early in the draft.

I'm hopeful we can grab Eriksson from Boston for a mid-rd pick and prospect, in a salary dump for them. I would deal a 2015 4th and Petan or Lodge or ? for 2 yrs of Loui.

Buff/Scheifele/Wheels
Ladd/Little/Frolik
Kane/Perreault/Eriksson

Switch Buff, Frolik and Eriksson from time to time, just to change things up. They all can move up and down the lineup.

Still think the Jets need a big, strong, scoring Center for the future. A guy that can score 20+ g and 60+ pts and is not physically man-handled against the big centers in the West. I like Little and Scheifele, but I've seen them on their ass a few times against bigger centers and dmen from the West.

You rate Petan and Lodge equally? I hope not!

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I like Little. He's a hard working guy, that does extremely well. I don't want to come across like I want to dump him.

I think the Jets need a bigger Center (6'3, 220+ lb) that can score and tip the scales in our favor to be a legit playoff contender, especially in the West. That's my opinion, and I hope Little and others prove me wrong. That we have the centers we need for a deep playoff run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad