Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Little had 20+g and 60+ points. Little does not get man handled, the whole big center thing is great and all, but if your smallish 1C handles the big 1C's fine its not a major concern. Scheifele got man handled, but that should change in the coming years with age and strength. I have never seen Little get man handled or outmatched. No more then any other center in the league. Of course time to time he is going to get crunched, but so does Toews, Backes, etc. Little plays like he is 6 feet +, strong on the puck in the corners, etc. The whole 1C is old and needs to go away. Things we need in order: 1G, A shut down top 4D, 3rd line winger, 4th line vet, and then a upgrade on C comes after all of that.

I disagree.

I saw many games live this year, and he does get man-handled against bigger and stronger dmen. I can't recall the game, but he was consistently on his butt one game against a more physical team (may have been St Louis).

It was apparent to me, in that game, Little was getting pounded repeatedly and did not have a response.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I disagree.

I saw many games live this year, and he does get man-handled against bigger and stronger dmen. I can't recall the game, but he was consistently on his butt one game against a more physical team (may have been St Louis).

It was apparent to me, in that game, Little was getting pounded repeatedly and did not have a response.

The evidence will show that he out possessed and possibly outscored them. I don't care if he plays the whole game on his tush so long as he is playing as effectively as he does.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I've seen Getzlaf on his butt on occasion too. Confirmation bias regarding Little? He's obviously doing something right - puts up enough points to be an average 1C, and beats his competition on possession, even with ugly zone starts.

Edit: what StronGeer said. ;)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
What would everyones thoughts be on offer sheeting Ryan Johansen? TSN reported that they are way apart on contract negotiations. If he could play RW it would be very, very interesting.

Are you willing to give up our 2015 1at?

jetkarma*

1 more top 9 winger, a #4D, and let Hutch and Pavs compete. C'mon Chevy (and Maurice) - you kin do eet!

Edit: ATL - I agree regarding Little. His skating is so strong, he rarely gets pushed around. People get a bit too caught up in the size thing - he competes just fine with the larger centres in the West, as evidenced by both his scoring and beating his competition even with tough zone starts. Love the guy.

The 4D is perplexing to me .

I agree ideally we would love to have a LH4D but several things cloud that as I see it. First of course it is not easy to just obtain one , and then how to do that and then at what cost.

It seems we have several 5/6/7/8 ish types ( although 2 less with Redmond and Ellerby gone ) and while not a given it seems we may be planning to go into the season hoping/expecting one of them to slot in at the 4D slot.

I see an additional defenseman as a secondary want after another mid 6 forward.

Enstrom Trouba

Clitsome Bogosian

Stuart Postma

Pardy Kitchton

Morrissey ***

Presuming Morrissey is in JR for most of the year and Buff is indeed a winger excepting PP duty , we are likely to sign one or two players this year like Pardy and Ellerby were signed last year.

Clitsome's injury clouds the picture further , I just don't have a good sense of what the next move will be for the defense .

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I don't think they will sign a D(watch now they will go out and sign a D :P )

Everything I have heard is they would like another top 9 type forward in

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Not doubting his scoring or possession numbers or value to the team. I'm questioning not having a physical Center that can respond physically when needed.

The game in question, Little was physically over-matched. That's not a Little bias or 'selective remembering'. It's a fact. Now, does he beat most match-ups? Yes. But are their teams he struggles against? Absolutely.

Come playoff time, if I need to defend against the Jets, if I put a physical d pairing against Little, I would feel like there's a good chance I have success. Same for Scheifele, at the moment.

Did a quick review for Little last year, against:

Boston: 2 gms, 0 pts
Buff: 2 gms, 0 pts
Chi: 4 gms, 2 a
Col: 5 gms, 1 g, 5 a
Dallas: 5 gms, 1 g, 1 a
Minny: 5 gms, 1 g, 2 a
Mtl: 2 gms, 0 pts
Nash: 5 gms, 2 g (both in 1 gm)
Phi: 2 gms, 0 pts
StL: 5 gms, 2 g, 1 a

The teams where they played only 2 games, is likely too small a sample. But his production against other Central teams needs improvement, IMO. Played 29 gms, 7 g, 11 a, 18 pts and a -4. Now there are some good teams in the Central, and we're not there yet to compete against them.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The thing about our d that bugs me is the 2 guys I most hoped would step into that 4 role were both unsigned.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Detroit was left at the alter in their quest for a RHD. Can we work something out with Buff?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
You know what the problem with too much size is? Guys that are much shorter then you can simply just get lower and use leverage against you. Smaller guys tend to do that. Why do you think Wheeler goes down so easily? Because guys can simply get lower then him and take him off the puck.

I swear, the size argument is probably the most ignorant argument I've ever seen... :banghead:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
@The_Creasy: #Jets in talks with Dustin Penner and Dany Heatley.

This guy is almost as bad as Eklund in his predictions. I seriously doubt they'd be going after Heatley - can you imagine how uncomfortable it would be when they give out the Dan Snyder award? Just can't see it. He also does NOT fit the mould of 'fast', by any stretch of the imagination.

No way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad