Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Two firsts, a second and a third wouldn't be worth it still. Only way I would ever even consider it is if this all of a sudden made us a contending playoff team, which it still wouldn't.

Plus, it takes us out of the McDavid sweepstakes.

Thanks Strongeer and Romang :)

No problem :thumbu:

But like I said, we are allowed to negotiate with Ryan. He obviously doesn't want to stay in CBJ, at least at whatever they're offering him. If we could work out a deal with him and then traded for his rights that would leave us free and clear.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Peter Mueller!

I'd take a chance on him.

What would everyones thoughts be on offer sheeting Ryan Johansen? TSN reported that they are way apart on contract negotiations. If he could play RW it would be very, very interesting.

As discussed, I can't see a way that the Jets offer a contract that RyJo takes, that the Jackets don't match, that doesn't have the Jets lose a boatload of picks. Not worth it IMO, and extreamly unlikely to work anyway.

Plus, if the team is thinking about RyJo, it's to play centre. You don't pick up a big, young centre who just scored 30 goals and move him to the wing.

Interesting...I like lack alot, not sure if he can be elite but certainly better than average....Markstrom is turning into a train wreck not terribly interested..no nothing about Eriksson really.

Buff for Lack and Hansen maybe?

Buff for Lack and Hansen is terrible for the Jets.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I'd really like to know what top 6 forward Chevy has in mind. :nod:

jetkarma*

Only be the strictest legal sense. In real world applications it was correct. We've only selected 30 times in 4 years, one of which add came due to Daultan Leveille not signing. So no we haven't added picks to our base. And more importantly we've selected just 7 times in the top 2 rounds, one of which is already out of the organization in Sutter. Good luck "building through draft" with that.

Again the problem boils down to two things like Pavelec. One is that Jets management is lying straight to our faces and they think we are too stupid to see through that. It's mind boggling. And second is that they are either too incompetent or stupid to do anything but make no moves and hope somehow someway everything magically works out perfectly. That is basically the strategy Chevy has adopted for building the Jets.

Unlike some others , you are above including blurbs like that . Not just the legal sense , it was not factually accurate , the entire part listed. You know it , I know it.Year one wasn't really the "Jets" it was the Atlanta Jets as it were , hard to hang all of that on the current regime. Done with that. You want the Jets to be more assertive with a certain plain , we aren't different in that regards .

As far as Pavs goes , we all know , and I highly doubt you don't also think the Jets know ,that he has to play and produce better. We are seeing that Maurice is both having more responsibility for team matters than Noel and that he is impacting players decisions more as well. It isn't just Chevy , it is much more a combined approach . What is said publicly isn't always what is said in private. We all know that too. The screams were to buy him out , well we were told that was not going to happen , and it didn't . Chevy's fault or team policy ? Let's see how the first 2o games go regarding goaltending. There is no debate that we need better production . Maybe we tried to trade him , and not surprised he wasn't if we did , but we weren't signing a 4 million a yr goalie to add , we just weren't . What's Hutch's role? It isn't a huge stretch to think he could come in and be half of a goalie tandem imo , if that happens maybe competition makes Pavs improve. Maybe Maurice makes him improve. Maybe. If he doesn't do you think Maurice will roll him out for 60 games? I don't . I don't doubt he addresses that directly .

Scheifele , Trouba , Morrissey , Ehlers. Can't say I could expect a better result than those four for where we drafted. IMO no misses , most should perform above draft slot and at least one ( if not more ) substantially .

Hellofagoalie , Comrie , Copp , Lowry , Kosmachuk , Lipon all appear to have more than a legitimate shot to contribute to the parent club and fairly soon. Add this years class plus some of the other picks from previous years and the difference between Atlanta and Winnipeg is like the temperature in January. Sure other teams are doing this well too , but we are now doing this above average imo and we certainly weren't before.

We haven't lost any integral piece because they chose to not resign here , we have those players signed and that is to our advantage . Trades can still be done with them and those are retained assets , which is a plus.

Would you have traded Kane for Neal? I sure as hell wouldn't . If we trade a major piece I want to win the trade , if the odds aren't 60/40 we become better by it , I don't risk the trade . I wait till the opportunity is there. By all indications Chevy has made it known he is open to a significant trade , but he isn't going to make a lateral one or one where he thinks it is too risky. We don't need to trade a player(s) like Vancouver or Ottawa did , so no need to take what's there.

It is hard to get very good players to sign , not just here , look at the league. Teams on the verge have an advantage , teams with a better tax base have an advantage , as do teams with better weather and some players prefer a more urban location, though not all. Did you see the front page of the Toronto Sun ? Naive to think we don't have challenges in this regard. Run the team well , treat players and families very well and win .... become a playoff team that can and does win a series or two , that is what we need to do and the draft and develop is the best way to facilitate this . Again , I also hoped we had turned some of the fringe roster player for picks . As I said , I hoped for a second and another third this year , so we could have the picks we did last year , so YES it could be done better , but it is being done , and pretty well imo.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I'd take a chance on him.

As discussed, I can't see a way that the Jets offer a contract that RyJo takes, that the Jackets don't match, that doesn't have the Jets lose a boatload of picks. Not worth it IMO, and extreamly unlikely to work anyway.

Plus, if the team is thinking about RyJo, it's to play centre. You don't pick up a big, young centre who just scored 30 goals and move him to the wing.

Buff for Lack and Hansen is terrible for the Jets.

What would you offer for Lack? Or do you have ny interest at all?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
What would you offer for Lack? Or do you have ny interest at all?

No interest.

I don't see a fit.

He's got 2 years on his deal until UFA. You bring him in now, all he does is take the opportunity away from Hutchinson. And there is no guarantee he plays better than Hutch anyway. Lack's had half a season in the NHL, he's no saviour. And then Hutch goes back to the AHL and takes starts away from Hellebucyk.

And then in 2015 when Comrie is ready to go to the AHL, we've got all 3 in the AHL because we still have Pavs and Lack.

To me it's just a waste of assets to trade for him. The Jets seem content with rolling with Pavs, having Hutch back him up, and hoping that one (or more) of Hutch, Hellebucyk, and Comrie develop in the next 3 years to replace Pavs.

Now if the Jets were willing to buyout Pavs, and Lack came fairly cheap, I would have no problem running with a Lack/Hutch tandem for a couple of years while Hellebucyk and Comrie develop. As it stands, with Pavs on the roster and Hutch deserving a backup opportunity, I see it as a waste of assets that should be used to improve the 3rd and 4th lines, and possibly D.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Beyak nailed it on 1290. Why play in Winnipeg when you can play in Tampa. It's a tough pill to swallow but no a lot of FA will want to play here. Contender or warm weather.

Well, the NYR had to give Glass a massive overpayment to play in New York, so there you go...

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
This whole FA thing is doesn't concern me in the least. Players not wanting to come here, taxes or weather whatever.

I think Chevy did a nice job getting Perreault. I think that's the type of signings you'll see from the Jets. Reasonable and short term.

The higher profile guys will get less reasonable and long term deals. That does not interest me in the least. Signing guys like Pouliot for 5 yrs and $20 mill, Orpik and Bolland for 5 yrs and $27.5 mill, does not interest me in the least. If there is another value signing out there, go for it Chevy. Otherwise, pass.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
This whole FA thing is doesn't concern me in the least. Players not wanting to come here, taxes or weather whatever.

I think Chevy did a nice job getting Perreault. I think that's the type of signings you'll see from the Jets. Reasonable and short term.

The higher profile guys will get less reasonable and long term deals. That does not interest me in the least. Signing guys like Pouliot for 5 yrs and $20 mill, Orpik and Bolland for 5 yrs and $27.5 mill, does not interest me in the least. If there is another value signing out there, go for it Chevy. Otherwise, pass.

I really like the Perreault signing. I expect him to outplay some of those $4-5MM UFA adds.

jetkarma*

Well, the NYR had to give Glass a massive overpayment to play in New York, so there you go...

It's an issue whether we like it or want to not have people say negative things about Winnipeg.

Perreault's signing seems positive for a lot of reasons , position , age , scoring , dollars ... This isn't like going to FA supermarket and you choosing to buy the product at a set price. The product chooses you.

The Thorburn signing doesn't make a tonne of sense to me but it is a pretty small insignificant piece imo and shouldn't overshadow the Perreault acquisition.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Agreed. The east seems to be overpaying considerably and I'm not hurt by Chevy not dropping that amount of money on those guys. There have been some very silly signings (again) and I'm glad we're not part of it.

I do hope Chevy makes a move for a fairly significant piece, though under the guise of a trade to one of the up-against-the-cap teams. We may be able to pick up a very good piece that way.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I really like the Perreault signing. I expect him to outplay some of those $4-5MM UFA adds.

I agree. I really like this signing. I think he is going to be a good fit with Kane. Hopefully, Chevy can add a right winger for this line. Otherwise, O'Dell should be serviceable as the RW on that line. I think Perrault will be a big help on the PP. I would like to see Perrault, Scheifele and Wheeler as the number one unit.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Agree. Add to that: he's young'ish, and potentially has more upside to show.

Hope there's one more like him out there to supplement the top 9.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I am hoping he can find a top 6 winger. Or even a 3rd line winger. I like our top 9, think it is underrated, and as of right now is pretty strong, and will compete just fine in our tough conference. Just a bit of a question mark on D, and in net. Sign me up as well for signing Mueller cheap. Low risk, high reward. I remember watching him as a rookie, and in the wjc, guy was going to be a good player before those injuries. Worth a shot. But I am also thinking if our only options are Penner, Ott type players, I think O'dell will fit in better. But if we can add another good player, not sure what that means for O'Dell. Unless we start the year with 14 forwards.

Another note: We could possibly hit up Philly or the Hawks for a cap dump. They both would likely be ditching a 3rd line type player that is making 1.5-2+

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I also truly believe that when this team is a contender, FAs will look at the Jets in a much different light. But even then, I don't think TNSE will sign a stupid deal (way overpay for too long a term).

It just doesn't seem like that is in their DNA. And that's a good thing.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I don't see the Jets moving a 1st rd pick anytime soon. There are still far too many holes in our prospect pool and on our roster to not grab a quality prospect early in the draft.

I'm hopeful we can grab Eriksson from Boston for a mid-rd pick and prospect, in a salary dump for them. I would deal a 2015 4th and Petan or Lodge or ? for 2 yrs of Loui.

Buff/Scheifele/Wheels
Ladd/Little/Frolik
Kane/Perreault/Eriksson

Switch Buff, Frolik and Eriksson from time to time, just to change things up. They all can move up and down the lineup.

Still think the Jets need a big, strong, scoring Center for the future. A guy that can score 20+ g and 60+ pts and is not physically man-handled against the big centers in the West. I like Little and Scheifele, but I've seen them on their ass a few times against bigger centers and dmen from the West.

Little had 20+g and 60+ points. Little does not get man handled, the whole big center thing is great and all, but if your smallish 1C handles the big 1C's fine its not a major concern. Scheifele got man handled, but that should change in the coming years with age and strength. I have never seen Little get man handled or outmatched. No more then any other center in the league. Of course time to time he is going to get crunched, but so does Toews, Backes, etc. Little plays like he is 6 feet +, strong on the puck in the corners, etc. The whole 1C is old and needs to go away. Things we need in order: 1G, A shut down top 4D, 3rd line winger, 4th line vet, and then a upgrade on C comes after all of that.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
1 more top 9 winger, a #4D, and let Hutch and Pavs compete. C'mon Chevy (and Maurice) - you kin do eet!

Edit: ATL - I agree regarding Little. His skating is so strong, he rarely gets pushed around. People get a bit too caught up in the size thing - he competes just fine with the larger centres in the West, as evidenced by both his scoring and beating his competition even with tough zone starts. Love the guy.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Just one more piece basically and we'd actually have a decent top 9.

Likely the best this franchise has ever had, in terms of depth and a rounded out even top 9. I would feel comfortable matching it up with any forward group in the league if we can add 1 more decent piece. Now for our D, and goalie, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad