Post-Game Talk: Jets flush 2 points lose 3 -1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Glad I stayed out of the PGT last night. Predictable.

It's not the end of the world. Sucks to be on a losing streak and , especially lose to the Oilers with the effort and the way it happened, but that's hockey.

In a game we were outplayed in for most of it, we still likely would have won if it weren't for a couple of very unfortunate incidents.

Even though I don't like that top line (I would have just put our top 6 the way it was), I thought they generated plenty and if Connor was his lethal self could have had one or 2.

I thought the 2nd line was the one that struggled with the change. Iafallo and Namestnikov are great complimentary players with skill, but if you put them together on a line they become a bit of a grinding line and Perfetti can't find the o by himself (yet).

Dillon and Pionk have really come together. When we got Dillon I was extremely excited for that pair because I thought they complimented each other nicely. It took a while but it's starting to bear fruit. Dillon is playing his best hockey as a Jet.

A lot of people are calling that Vilardi penalty the turning point but to be honest I think it was Janmarks dirty hit and the non call. That absolutely should have been a match penalty and a 5 min pp for the Jets. If they score at least one on the resulting pp I think we win this game. How you don't call that and then call a ticky tak play where both players are holding onto each other with less than 5 minutes to go in a tired game is malpractice. McWhiny got in the refs ear because precious didn't like getting hit cleanly and voila a penalty against is the result. They should just f***ing remove the on ice officials and use cameras to call penalties if this is the standard.

As for the whole Bowness thing, holy overreact batman. He's the reason pure very systems have finally changed and were playing the way we are. Yes, he's made some moves I wouldn't have but overall the teams success is in large part due to him.

Our sag lately is more on the players, maybe buying into the contender talk and forgetting how hard they have to work to win.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Glad I stayed out of the PGT last night. Predictable.

It's not the end of the world. Sucks to be on a losing streak and , especially lose to the Oilers with the effort and the way it happened, but that's hockey.

In a game we were outplayed in for most of it, we still likely would have won if it weren't for a couple of very unfortunate incidents.

Even though I don't like that top line (I would have just put our top 6 the way it was), I thought they generated plenty and if Connor was his lethal self could have had one or 2.

I thought the 2nd line was the one that struggled with the change. Iafallo and Namestnikov are great complimentary players with skill, but if you put them together on a line they become a bit of a grinding line and Perfetti can't find the o by himself (yet).

Dillon and Pionk have really come together. When we got Dillon I was extremely excited for that pair because I thought they complimented each other nicely. It took a while but it's starting to bear fruit. Dillon is playing his best hockey as a Jet.

A lot of people are calling that Vilardi penalty the turning point but to be honest I think it was Janmarks dirty hit and the non call. That absolutely should have been a match penalty and a 5 min pp for the Jets. If they score at least one on the resulting pp I think we win this game. How you don't call that and then call a ticky tak play where both players are holding onto each other with less than 5 minutes to go in a tired game is malpractice. McWhiny got in the refs ear because precious didn't like getting hit cleanly and voila a penalty against is the result. They should just f***ing remove the on ice officials and use cameras to call penalties if this is the standard.

As for the whole Bowness thing, holy overreact batman. He's the reason pure very systems have finally changed and were playing the way we are. Yes, he's made some moves I wouldn't have but overall the teams success is in large part due to him.

Our sag lately is more on the players, maybe buying into the contender talk and forgetting how hard they have to work to win.
Good post, totally agree.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
League need to allow for reviews of missed calls that result in a injury, Joshua didn't slip on a banana peel. We lose our best D man for a stretch cause a spotter saw what happened and the incompetents policing the game ignored it. Also the Edmonton picks more than any other team I have seen and really never get called for it.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
That was a disappointing loss, no doubt. However, it is still early in a very long season. I think that the Jets have most of the horses in place to be a solid playoff team not just a wild card. I like our forwards which includes a bit of depth. On D, I'm still thinking that Schmidt, in spite of his contract, has to be replaced and I'm hoping that Heinola or even Capo might be the guy. I am concerned about the coaching. I haven't been impressed with Bowness' roster management since he has been back behind the bench. (I have/had a similar concern about O'Shea's roster management of the Bombers.) Hopefully, Arniel can do a little whispering in his ear. And let's hope that they can continue working out the kinks on the special teams. Go Jets Go!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
League need to allow for reviews of missed calls that result in a injury, Joshua didn't slip on a banana peel. We lose our best D man for a stretch cause a spotter saw what happened and the incompetents policing the game ignored it. Also the Edmonton picks more than any other team I have seen and really never get called for it.
Ya really, i can't remember seeing so many picks in a game before. Maybe a rock concert.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Bowness was not even in the top 3 choices to coach this team but nobody they really wanted came here so he gets the job by default. He is who is coaching wise and isn't going to change now.

Reactions: sipowicz

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Let's be honest they are another top 4 dman and true c2 away from being anything more than a possible wild card team. They had a good run but are now playing as I expected they would this year.
Jets also have a pretty small team, Dillon and Samberg on D with some size and up front, Schief, Lowry and Niederreiter!

The Jets have been outsized and outmuscled the past three games and in the attack zone can only find space in the perimeter, just a couple legit. Scoring chances per game and one goal ain’t winning you hockey games!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Jets become contenders and pretenders all in the span of a week
Jets are the same team every day

It's just that some fans choose to PERCEIVE them as contenders one week, and pretenders the next

The reality is that they are a good team but not one that can be considered "elite". They'll have stretches where they look unbeatable, and they'll have 3 game losing streaks.

McDrai both had over 22 minutes of ice time last night. That's not a sustainable stategy for the Oilers, but it's one that is very difficult to play against when those two are on their game and feeling it.

We need to reset our top six somehow. We don't match up well with the Oilers because lowry's line ends up with more ice than Perfetti's

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
If anything, I would have the lines exactly the same, Arniel let them be. But not panicking at all, Ehlers post, Schmidt backdoor pass to Nino just misses and that's the game.

Kane elbowed Helle in the head, removing his mask, clear missed call. The Vilardi call was a weak call.

We win that game with one bounce.

Reactions: sipowicz

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I didn't like the way the Jets played for a lot of the game and thought the Oilers were carrying more of the play. That being said, when you have a 1 goal lead with less than 10 minutes in the 3rd, at the very least you have to leave that game with at worst a point. So while we didn't deserve the win, it was there and they really did flush points away as the OP indicated.

I don't know the 3rd period ice time, but did Bones go back to his old "can't trust Perfetti" when we have a lead mindset? It felt that way by the eye, but not sure. If true, that's more than extremely disappointing as my understanding is that by almost all metrics Perfetti is one of our better defensive forwards, and leaving him on the bench to get caved in with the 4th line seems like dinosaur thinking to me.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Fatdrunk

Better Luck Next Year
Feb 1, 2019
The lead was gone in the blink of an eye and quickly turned into a deficit not long after that.

On a night where the Winnipeg Jets were mostly sound defensively and did an excellent job keeping the dynamic duo of Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl mostly quiet at even strength, it was a late penalty that opened the door for the lethal Edmonton Oilers power play to go to work.

McDavid cruised into the slot and found Draisaitl for a one-timer with 2:13 to go in regulation time, propelling the Oilers to a 3-1 victory over the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday night at Canada Life Centre.

“Obviously, you never want to give up a late lead and give up that extra point late in the game,” said Jets defenceman Josh Morrissey. “They pushed pretty hard in the third period to tie it up and I felt they had momentum and kept it into that power play. It’s a lethal power play over there and it’s just starting to heat up. It’s a disappointing one for us. We did a lot of good things to try to at least earn a point. But it’s frustrating.”

Jets head coach Rick Bowness made it clear he didn’t think his team sat back in the third period.

“Our biggest problem tonight was faceoffs. They killed us in the faceoff circle, so you’re chasing them all the time,” said Bowness. “We’re not trying to sit back, but they’re winning so many faceoffs we end up chasing them. We won 29 per cent, they won 71, I mean, that’s pretty much the whole game we’re chasing them. So that’s an issue. But look at the first shift in that third period, we went right after them. And that was a Grade A, we had a good opportunity there but just couldn’t get that second goal.”

Just like that, a little adversity has arrived on the doorstep of the Jets, who have dropped three consecutive games in regulation for the first time this season.

Before the ‘I-told-you-so’ folks have time to chime in from the peanut gallery, this isn’t a matter of history repeating itself or the Jets slipping into old habits.

They’re not abandoning the structure that has been the foundation of the opening quarter.

They just haven’t been quite as sharp as they were when they put together a five-game winning streak that preceded these three losses.

Jets goalie Connor Hellebuyck was cruising along in this one, turning aside the 31 shots he faced until Oilers defenceman Darnell Nurse snuck a shot from just inside the blue line through him with 5:12 to go in regulation time.

Hellebuyck was in pure disbelief when he turned to see the puck cross the goal line.

Since a pedestrian start to the campaign, Hellebuyck has been excellent for the Jets and the one soft goal against didn’t change the fact he finished with 36 saves in the contest.

However, that’s a shot Hellebuyck needs to handle and there’s no doubt that goal changed the complexion of the entire contest.

Although the Jets didn’t fall apart, Gabriel Vilardi was whistled for a holding minor on McDavid and the Jets were unable to kill that penalty off.

So instead of the Jets potentially talking about a solid response and the 33rd shutout of Hellebuyck’s career, the focus quickly shifts to trying to ensure this losing skid doesn’t reach four games.

Every team goes through a stretch like this and we’re about to find out how the Jets are going to handle it.

Much like good teams sometimes find ways to win when they’re not at their best, good teams also find a way to battle through adversity when it arrives.

THE PP GOAL – After all of the talk about the inability to cash in on four power-play chances against the Dallas Stars on Tuesday, including two lengthy five-on-threes that totalled nearly two full minutes, the Jets struck with the man-advantage in their first opportunity Thursday. Kyle Connor found Mark Scheifele with a cross-ice feed and Scheifele was able to thread the needle with a perfect pass to Cole Perfetti for a nifty redirection. For Perfetti, it was his eighth goal of the season, which moves him to sole possession of second place in that category. Perfetti’s consistency has been impressive, as he’s up to 18 points in 22 games – and he’s collected at least a point in 12 of the past 14 games.

THE RETURN – After sitting out the previous 17 games with a sprained right knee he sustained in the opening period of a tilt with the Los Angeles Kings, Jets forward Gabriel Vilardi was back in action. He was eased back into action in an effort to help get his timing and conditioning back, as he was slotted in on the fourth line. He did return to the top power-play unit and looked extremely comfortable there, generating a couple of quality scoring chances – including one from the high slot that was stopped by the blocker of Oilers goalie Stuart Skinner. Vilardi finished the contest with 15 shifts for 13:05 of ice time with one shot on goal. Whether it’s in a game or two, don’t be surprised to see Vilardi move quickly back into the top-six.

“Obviously he can see the ice so well,” said Perfetti. “Good to get his feet wet at five on five obviously that’s a tough team to play against at five on five. They’re fast, they’re quick and on the power play he was making a lot of really good plays. It’s nice to have him back and a huge morale boost for the guys and the team and I think for him to. He only got to play two and a bit games before the injury, so I think he was really excited. It’s just a really good boost for us to have a guy like that come back into the lineup.”

THE HEAD SHOT – Just before the midway point of the second period, Jets defenceman Josh Morrissey was defending in the D-zone when Oilers forward Mattias Janmark ran into him, catching him in the head in the process. Surprisingly, nothing was called on the play – and nothing was added after the men in stripes huddled together to discuss what had happened. Even giving Janmark the benefit of the doubt that it wasn’t intentional, at the bare minimum this should have been an interference minor. Morrissey went down the tunnel for further evaluation, forcing the Jets to play with five D-men for a couple of shifts. Morrissey returned for a power play with 6:37 to go in the second period and was able to finish the game, which is good news for the Jets.

“It’s an obvious pick to me. It’s interference. I don’t know how that’s not a penalty,” said Morrissey. “Guys run into each other sometimes out there for sure. But Connor (McDavid) had the puck for a number of seconds by then, and I was playing against him. Players at this level have the ability to realize that there is a one-on-one going on there. It’s one thing to have a standing pick, where you’re standing still and try to get away with that, maybe. But, to skate right into it, it’s a blatant interference penalty to me.

“Maybe they didn’t see it. It happens. I was told that we just ran into each other. I completely disagree with that. I don’t think he was targeting me or trying to make a dirty play, but I do think he was trying to run a pick and to me that’s interference all day.”

THE INJURY – Jets forward Vladislav Namestnikov left the game late in the third period after taking what appeared to be an accidental knee to the head from Nurse, shortly before he scored the game-winner. Namestnikov finished the game with just under 12 minutes of ice time. He’s done a solid job holding down the second-line centre job since his promotion early in the season.

EXTRA, EXTRA – With Vilardi’s return, the Jets needed to scratch a forward and the odd-man out ended up being David Gustafsson, who has two goals in 21 games this season. Bowness ended up keeping Axel Jonsson-Fjallby in the lineup on the fourth line and moved Morgan Barron to centre. Jonsson-Fjallby was in the lineup for his speed and used on the penalty kill. The other healthy scratches for the Jets were defencemen Declan Chisholm and Logan Stanley. The crowd of 13,611 represents the largest of the season at Canada Life Centre. The Jets continue a four-game homestand on Saturday afternoon against Connor Bedard and the Chicago Blackhawks.

[email protected]

X: WiebesWorld

Ken Wiebe

Ken Wiebe
Sports reporter

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Jets become contenders and pretenders all in the span of a week
If this team does not consistently bring a fast paced, 2 way game to the rink every night, they will be on a roller coaster this year just like other years.
They struggle with sticking to the game plan - and they can't seem to understand what makes them a winner some nights and a loser on other nights.
When they are playing well, they are taking away space, clogging up the Nzone, creating turnovers, and spending a lot less time defending in the Dzone.

If we don't play that hard game, we are leaving it to our D - and that will lead to failure most nights. Our blueline is OK if the forwards are creating turnovers and jamming things up. Watching us defend through the Nzone last night was painful - too much open ice and we simply backed into our zone and let their offense take over.

Bones comment on faceoffs was true - but he could have added a few other issues if he was interested in addressing the reasons we lost that game.
It will be interesting to see if he keeps his comments in check if we continue playing like we have recently - which IMO, is simply not hard enough and not consistent from period to period.

That's it in a nutshell IMO

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
The team is really good, we have yet to be really outplayed for 60, except the LA game and have been in every one.

Vilardi makes us deeper. It's time to get Chisolm in see what he's got.

If lack of scoring persists, I'd think about bringing up Chibrikov or Lambert for a run on the 2nd line.

I like Vilardi as 2C, with Perfetti and Ehlers. I'd play Iaffallo or Nino with 55.

We are a bit soft. That worries me in the long run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca